Vitamin B Deficiency In Ray Peat Diet

Logan-

I know RP eats an egg every day, and eats liver and shellfish occasionally. But is this enough to get your b group vitamins?

Vitamin B content of a cooked large egg: Egg, whole, cooked, fried Nutrition Facts & Calories

Sure liver and shellfish have a lot of b-vitamins, but since b group vitamins are water soluble, they need to be eaten every day regularly to get the b-vitamins.

So what should be done about this? I know RP cares a lot about b-vitamins, especially for their effects on nervous system, metabolism, liver. How does he get his b-vitamins?

Cirion

I use nutritional yeast almost every day now. It can be also beneficial to superdose some other B vitamins separately like Thiamine, Biotin depending on current health.

RobertJM

Orange juice? Milk? A couple of quarts of either provides plenty alongside those other foods that you speak of

Mufasa

I know RP eats an egg every day, and eats liver and shellfish occasionally. But is this enough to get your b group vitamins?

Vitamin B content of a cooked large egg: Egg, whole, cooked, fried Nutrition Facts & Calories

Sure liver and shellfish have a lot of b-vitamins, but since b group vitamins are water soluble, they need to be eaten every day regularly to get the b-vitamins.

So what should be done about this? I know RP cares a lot about b-vitamins, especially for their effects on nervous system, metabolism, liver. How does he get his b-vitamins?

Orange juice, potatoes, milk also contain some b vitamins. If you would only eat potatoes and milk, you will meet the RDA.

Vinero

If you eat a lot of white rice and white sugar and use metabolism increasing substances such as caffeine, methylene blue, or thyroid you will quickly deplete vitamin B stores. Antibiotics can also deplete B vitamins.

TeaRex14

You simply may not be eating enough. Out of all the vitamins, I find being deficient in b vitamins exceedingly difficult on a Peat way of eating. Liver, eggs, shellfish, milk, orange juice are some of the staples and they're all loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially the b vitamins. Vitamin k is the only nutrient that Peaters could possibly not be getting enough of, due to the strict avoidance of green vegetables. However most Peaters supplement this, so it's not a issue. Also liver does have some k in it, probably just enough to prevent an outright deficiency (can't confirm though).

Vinero

You simply may not be eating enough. Out of all the vitamins, I find being deficient in b vitamins exceedingly difficult on a Peat way of eating. Liver, eggs, shellfish, milk, orange juice are some of the staples and they're all loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially the b vitamins. Vitamin k is the only nutrient that Peaters could possibly not be getting enough of, due to the strict avoidance of green vegetables. However most Peaters supplement this, so it's not a issue. Also liver does have some k in it, probably just enough to prevent an outright deficiency (can't confirm though).
What you are describing is an ideal Peat diet. I don't think everyone who Peats eats those foods. Many (myself included) eat a lot of refined sugar and refined starch like white rice. It's an easy way to get more carbs and avoid toxins, but can induce several nutrient deficiencies.

TeaRex14

What you are describing is an ideal Peat diet. I don't think everyone who Peats eats those foods. Many (myself included) eat a lot of refined sugar and refined starch like white rice. It's an easy way to get more carbs and avoid toxins, but can induce several nutrient deficiencies.
I don't think there's anything wrong or anti-peaty about table sugar. I eat some myself, I also drink coke pretty regularly. But I make sure I have about a tbsp. of beef liver pate everyday plus 2 eggs and a quart of 1% milk. Typically I'll also have a 16oz glass of OJ as well. I prefer potatoes and homemade tortilla chips over rice when I want starch, but I've been known to occasionally eat rice as well. Refined carbohydrates are not bad in my opinion, they just might increase your nutritional demands some.

SamYo123

But look at durianrider. B deficient? doesn't look like it..

professor_sue

I can't eat dairy of as ny kind due to extremely severe lactose, casein, and whey intolerance. I find that supplementing with B vitamins is helpful to me for my overall health. I use Forefront Health's Thyroid complex, which is B1, B2, B3, B6 ... maybe 1 more, can't recall. I also supplement with Parasym, which helps the vagus nerve, which helps with constipation. It has B1 in it, Acetylcholine, I think, ... it's pricey but 2 a day helps me. I have a separate B1 vitamin I take now and then if constipation occurs. (Cascara sagrada is my go to when it gets bad.). Anyway, B vitamins are very important for energy and so many other processes in the body. I don't have a scientific background so I can't speak to the specifics there, but I can say, supplementing with them has helped me.

P

Peatness

Thank you for this post @professor_sue . I've been looking for a b complex without b12 sold in the uk and this Forefront Health's complex is perfect.

moa

Nice to find some other peaters experiencing side effects from peat like diet, and especially constipation, cured by increased acetylcholine.

I've cured my painful IBS-C by supplementing choline like alpha GDP and eggs, B5 50mg and zinc all are needed for good acetylcholine levels. also took B1 but it didn't worked alone before the others.