Vitamin B-6

Peata

This is an older thread, but I used B6 for a few weeks and thought I'd chime in. I'm back to using it again while I wait on the P5P to come. I stopped B6 because of worry about nerve damage, though I had no symptoms of that.

While on B6, I felt less stress/anxiety, had no more sore, swollen breasts or bloating, lost some weight, less breakouts, seemed to have more efficient metabolism, etc. I varied the amount daily, sometimes taking 25 mg. sometimes up to 100 mg. It was when I lowered the dose to around 10 mg. that the effects seemed to drop off. I started back yesterday with 100 mg. and today with 25 mg.

While on B6 a couple weeks ago, I noticed more dreaming but did not connect it to B6. I'd done almost no reading on B6 other than that it could help lower prolactin and do another beneficial thing or two that I needed help with. I don't recall the dreams being anything special, not good or bad, but did notice they seemed to have me in a male perspective/avatar frequently. But since the dreams were not over the top I don't think I'd reached a detrimental level of B6 at that point. I really don't care about dreams much and usually do not remember dreaming at all unless I happen to wake up in the middle of one, but then I forget it soon anyway. Now and then when not on B6, I'll have a real stand-out dream that I can not only recall but seems very emotionally intense, but that's rare.

I'm hoping the P5P will give the best of both worlds in that I get the health effects I want without so much worry of nerve damage.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Please let us know how the P5P goes, Peata. A while back I thought of trying it but never got around to it.

Peata

I will. The only concern I have is that RP doesn't like more than 10 mg. of B6 as far as I've heard, but it seems like using more than that was what helped me.

Peata

So since I started back on B6 while waiting for the P5P, I have taken 100 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg. I am starting to recall bits and pieces of dreams, or just am aware that I've been dreaming.

Peata

Started P5P on Tues 12/10/13. 100 mg. Still taking a little regular B6 along with it.

Peata

Came across this interesting nugget on dr roberta morgan website:

Note that if your second toe is longer than your big toe you may want to consider replacing B6 with Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate which is the active form of B6. Those born with a longer second toe, called Morton's toe, cannot convert B6 to the active form called Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate. B6 makes brain chemicals.

M

marikay

I think the roberta morgan site is mistaken. Morton's toe is an anatomical variation that is found in 10% of the population (me included). It just means that our second toe is longer than our first (big) toe. This condition is also called the Greek foot. The great ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov has this type of foot.

Here is what Roberta Morgan might be mistaking for Morton's toe:

Morton's neuroma is a nerve disorder in the foot that causes pain in the bottom of the foot and up through the toes. There is no relation between the two conditions (except that the same guy might have first listed both conditions and therefore both are named after him). It is the people who suffer from Morton's neuroma who (perhaps) have trouble converting b6. People with Morton's toe have no trouble with this (unless of course they also happen to have Morton's neuroma, but that would be a coincidence, one does not cause the other). It's a pretty common mistake to confuse Morton's toe with Morton's neuroma, but still, I think someone named doctor should perhaps be more careful.

Anecdotally, I have never had trouble converting b6. And I'm fairly sure Baryishnikov hasn't either. Can you imagine trying to dance the way he does (still) with a neuroma in his feet or without the ability to convert b6? Oh, and it you look carefully at a photo of the Statue of Liberty, you'll see the sculptor gave this work of art the same type of feet. Her second toes are longer than her first. It was once considered a sign of beauty. And my great-aunt (a Catholic nun) told me it was a sign of leadership ability. In my pre-Peat days I ran marathons, and I never experienced anything that indicated a neuroma or an inability to convert b6.

But thanks for mentioning the condition. I forgot how happy it makes me to think I have the same type of feet as the Statue of Liberty and Baryishnikov

Mittir

marikay said:
I think the roberta morgan site is mistaken.
... It's a pretty common mistake to confuse Morton's toe with Morton's neuroma, but still, I think someone named doctor should perhaps be more careful.

That Doctor title is kind of misleading. She is not M.D. or PhD in real science.
She is a D.O. ( Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine).
It is a weird mix of pseudoscience and real medicine.
It is a kind of chiropractic training with some real medicine.
They are very active in alternative medicine.
I have found their websites to be a major source of misinformation.
They claimed to have similar curricula as M.D. programs.
I think the quality of education in D.O. program is very poor.
Mercola is a D.O.

M

marikay

Thanks Mittir. I thought it might be something like that. Thanks for saving me the time of looking up the website. I'll avoid it.

TheCanadian

Sorry for jumping in like this but P5P seems to be a way better form of B6 then most commonly sold form. The dosage can be way lower and still notice the same effet . Yes the action on Prolactin are real cause P5P is known to increase Dopamine which in turn antagonize Prolactin secretion . Many people are depleted in a lot of the B vitamins especially in stressful lifes and less then complete nutrition .

Peata

I'm taking 50 mg. P5P every morning. Sometimes I take an extra 25 mg. before bed. It seems to be helping though I wonder if I could take more.

Do you have dosage information on the minimum of P5P for the best effects?

TheCanadian

If I remember correctly it is not recommended to increase too much this vitamin . the Dosage your taking seems appropriate althought Ive seen people with health issues go much higher for a short period of time

jyb

Charlie said:
Tried B6 again. Only 10 miligrams, which is like almost nothing. I had 2 nights of horrible sleep. Not sure if it was from that, but it is suspicious. It also intensified my dreams. Just from one small dose. I don't think I will be trying B6 again anytime in the near future.

I took 15mg of B6 (as P5P) before bed along with a meal, just for the sake of experimenting. I had pretty bad insomnia.

tinkerer

superhuman said:
rp says 10mg is a big dose
I think Ray was talking about the common form of B6, rather than P5P (which is much less toxic at the same dose, and is even considered an antidote to poisons, though Ray hasn't specifically advocated P5P).

Mittir

RP has mentioned in KMUD interview that 10 mg of B6 is far beyond people's daily
requirement. He recommended one should start with 10 mg for therapeutic use.
Someone asked him about active and inactive form of B6.
He mentioned that people are more likely to over dose on active form.
I occasionally use 2-5 mg of regular B6 and i get head ache from 10 mg.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Vinero said:
I use 400 mg a day. The higher dosages really work better and no side effects so far.
How long have you been taking this dose? Are you aware of the side effects? What improvements are you seeing?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals