Vitamin B-6

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Btw, I have not been sleeping so well the last couple nights. Not sure if its the thyroid supplement, or, from the vitamin B6 causing too much dreaming which is waking me up. I am constantly dreaming now its crazy.

kettlebell

Thats interesting about the Niacinamide and your hair Charlie. I can't think of a reason why that would happen, but im no expert. I would love to hear someone who is better versed than I chime in.

J

j.

kettlebell said:
Thats interesting about the Niacinamide and your hair Charlie. I can't think of a reason why that would happen, but im no expert. I would love to hear someone who is better versed than I chime in.

Sometimes more hair growth is preceded by hair loss. Or at least there is that rumor.

jyb

Charlie said:
i just got my vitamin B-6. any recommendations on how to take it? Peat said for me to try vitamin B-6 and pregnenolone for my stress. i got those in today and am ready to get started!

What is the theoretical use of B6? RP only mentions B6 as one factor helping CO2 metabolism. He talks about B1 and B3 much more often. Also, wouldn't the large quantities found in the Peat diet (milk) be already more than enough?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
kettlebell said:

Sometimes more hair growth is preceded by hair loss. Or at least there is that rumor.

Well, I often did wonder if it was a good sign instead of a bad one.

jyb said:
What is the theoretical use of B6? RP only mentions B6 as one factor helping CO2 metabolism. He talks about B1 and B3 much more often. Also, wouldn't the large quantities found in the Peat diet (milk) be already more than enough?

I told Ray Peat I was super stressed out, he said try a little bit of B6 along with niacinamide.

R

ratcheer

Charlie said:
Btw, I have not been sleeping so well the last couple nights. Not sure if its the thyroid supplement, or, from the vitamin B6 causing too much dreaming which is waking me up. I am constantly dreaming now its crazy.

Hi Charlie - fwiw Dr. Carl Pfeiffer, a psychiatrist into orthomolecular medicine (e.g., http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892812265/), suggests taking B6 up TO the point of dream recall. More than that is too much. I think that's a reasonable point. It's been suggested that the significant dreaming effect is from B6 converting tryptophan into serotonin in the brain - not an effect we want to prioritize.

Per Mr. Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6
"At least one preliminary study has found this vitamin may increase dream vividness or the ability to recall dreams.[27] This effect is possibly due to the role this vitamin plays in the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin.[27]"

I don't know Dr. Pfeiffer's work well (only recently got the above book) but he seems to have some good information.

If "stress" is an issue for you, there might be a fine line between taking enough to support metabolism and amino acid reactions, and taking too much and increasing serotonin.

In Chinese Medicine btw, excess dreaming is considered a *problem* - too much chi going to the head. If you tell your traditional herbalist about your dreams they'll go "let me give you something for that" and prescribe herbs to STOP your dreaming! I learned this the hard way btw... :D

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ratcheer, thank you so much. I am definitely dreaming way too much. I stopped B6 a couple days ago and still dreaming too much, so I wont be picking back up the B6 anytime soon it seems. It's crazy because I was only taking a very small amount of the B6. That stuff is pretty powerful I guess.

Ray-Z

A couple of months ago, I accidentally took megadoses of B6 for several days. Results: headaches (which I very rarely get) and some random dizziness. Not recommended.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I cant even imagine. If I do anymore dreaming I am gonna go nuts. :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Excessive dreaming still happening. Kinda wish I had some chinese herbs at this point.

Combie

Charlie said:
Excessive dreaming still happening. Kinda wish I had some chinese herbs at this point.

Im not by any stretch recommending it or anything, but cannabis basically stops you remembering any of your dreams. Im only just starting to remember having dreams now. Cant remember what theyre about, but remember basic stuff. Interested to see how vivid they get.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

Oh thanks!!!!!

RRT

Are you dosing the B6 in the AM, afternoon, or PM? Pfeiffer does mention too much B6 producing excessive dreaming and poor sleep quality. He describes it as "fitful" sleep.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I was dosing morning.

It took about a week after stopping B6 for the dreams to stop causing me so much havoc on my sleep.

RRT

I was going to say to dose in the AM (far away from bed time) and reduce or eliminate the supplementation until dreams/sleep had normalized.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh, I had to stop, I went from sleeping pretty good to waking up every 30 minutes because the dreams were so strong and vivid.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Tried B6 again. Only 10 miligrams, which is like almost nothing. I had 2 nights of horrible sleep. Not sure if it was from that, but it is suspicious. It also intensified my dreams. Just from one small dose. I don't think I will be trying B6 again anytime in the near future.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I used Beyond a Century brand.

mariange

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for a B6 brand that I can find through Amazon. I see a lot that are over 10 mg - are most people just cutting these down? Thanks for any input!