Vitamin A Toxicity Neutralized By Vitamin C

Dotdash

This is a study posted in the 1938 Journal of Nutrition with some interesting correlations of Vitamins A, D, C, and B1. Since this is a rat study, if someone can translate the dosages into human equivalents it would be helpful. But even without the human interpretation it is obvious the units of Vitamin A were outrageous for a 50 grm weight animal. For these amounts to be neutralized by Vitamin C is amazing. Also interesting is the correlation between different doses of Vitamin D in relation to the amount of Vitamin A ingested.

Attachments

• Vitamin A Toxicity Neutralized by Vitamin C.pdf
    602.3 KB · Views: 131

EIRE24

I can't seem to see the study. At what dosage was vitamin A toxicity seen? Also, I think if D was taken with the A these affects wouldn't have been seen.

ddjd

This is a study posted in the 1938 Journal of Nutrition with some interesting correlations of Vitamins A, D, C, and B1. Since this is a rat study, if someone can translate the dosages into human equivalents it would be helpful. But even without the human interpretation it is obvious the units of Vitamin A were outrageous for a 50 grm weight animal. For these amounts to be neutralized by Vitamin C is amazing. Also interesting is the correlation between different doses of Vitamin D in relation to the amount of Vitamin A ingested.
thanks for this. would be interesting to hear @haidut's opinion

haidut

Forum Supporter
thanks for this. would be interesting to hear @haidut's opinion

I think you need to start asking others as well about their opinion. I am not the only forum member :):

OP
D

Dotdash

I can't seem to see the study. At what dosage was vitamin A toxicity seen? Also, I think if D was taken with the A these affects wouldn't have been seen.

I'll see what I can do about that. The study did include Vitamin D along with A. It really has some thought provoking data in it among the different quantities of A and D along with some tests using B1 and the final test using Vitamin C. There are so many variables applied it reminded me of something Dr Peat would have done himself.

OP
D

Dotdash

I think you need to start asking others as well about their opinion. I am not the only forum member :):

I think that was a compliment directed at your ability to translate dosages used in studies from animal to human.

OP
D

Dotdash

Try it now please. I've re-loaded the pdf file.

haidut

Forum Supporter
so i can't say im interested to hear your opinion. ridiculous.

Of course you can ask, but you tend to add only my alias when you ask a question. That makes people think that I am going to answer it so they tend to not chime in. It creates a situation where many people rely on one, and this is just not what a forum is (or should be). Many-to-many is the only sustainable model in online discussions.
I am not trying to be a prick, just trying to encourage everybody to participate, not just me.

OP
D

Dotdash

Listed below is the conclusion portion of the study. To me it is of interest that Vitamin C alone, with no Vitamin D, can counteract Vitamin A toxicity from 100,000 IU daily administered to a 50-gm rat. The reference in the study to Vitamin A toxicity being similar to scurvy symptoms helps the Vitamin C application make sense. The various levels of Vitamin D used to antagonize Vitamin A leave questions as to the validity of a set 5:1 ratio between the two. Dr Peat seems to think the ratio is much larger as did Adele Davis. Ten to one Vitamin A to Vitamin D was a fairly standard recommendation for her.

CONCLUSIONS
If vitamin A is ever toxic, it is in doses in excess of 100,000 international units daily for 50-gm. rats.
The greater part of the vitamin A administered in such large dosage is destroyed in the body of the rat.
In addition to vitamin A, fish liver oils contain a toxic principle, at present not identified. The toxicity of various
samples of these oils and their concentrates varies greatly for rats.
Vitamin B1 + Â was of no value in counteracting the toxicity of jewfish liver oil for rats.
Vitamin D in proper dosage at least partially counteracts this toxicity of jewfish liver oil as administered to rats.
Ascorbic acid (crystalline vitamin C) in doses of 5 mg. daily almost completely counteracted the toxicity of jewfish liver
oil administered to rats.

Waynish

so i can't say im interested to hear your opinion. ridiculous.
Lol... You want someone to answer for you so you don't have to think - and when they do you get sassy. I recommend androsterone!

Lucenzo01

Interesting. It makes sense since retinol is a poly unsaturated and vitamin C greatly reduces peroxidation. Retinol is an alcohol so it makes sense that thiamine would protect damage from megadoses. Retinol affects calcium metabolism through PTH and megadoses are proven to decrease bone density; this effect was reverted when vitamin D was added and bone density was increased. Vitamin E, K2, riboflavin can be helpful too when trying to megadose retinol.

baccheion

50 grams = 0.05 kilograms. 100,000 IU / 0.05 kg = 2,000,000 IU/kg. Multiply by 6 / 37 to convert from rat to human. For a 154 lb person, the dose equivalent would then be 100000 / 0.05 * (6 / 37) * (154 / 2.2) or 22,702,703 IU.

OP
D

Dotdash

50 grams = 0.05 kilograms. 100,000 IU / 0.05 kg = 2,000,000 IU/kg. Multiply by 6 / 37 to convert from rat to human. For a 154 lb person, the dose equivalent would then be 100000 / 0.05 * (6 / 37) * (154 / 2.2) or 22,702,703 IU.

That would be an outrageous amount for humans. Thank you for your translation.

OP
D

Dotdash

Interesting. It makes sense since retinol is a poly unsaturated and vitamin C greatly reduces peroxidation. Retinol is an alcohol so it makes sense that thiamine would protect damage from megadoses. Retinol affects calcium metabolism through PTH and megadoses are proven to decrease bone density; this effect was reverted when vitamin D was added and bone density was increased. Vitamin E, K2, riboflavin can be helpful too when trying to megadose retinol.

Actually, the thiamine was not helpful at all as stated below:
"The neutralization of the toxic effect of fish liver oil by the administration of other vitamins has been suggested by numerous observers. Bell, Gregory and Drummond ( '33) and others believe that the disturbance in the growth of rats that occurs when the diet contains a considerable percentage of fish liver oil may be compensated by an increased amount of the vitamin B complex. So far as our experiments with jewfish liver oil are concerned, the administration of 500 inter national units of B1 daily appeared to be not only of no value, but to be positively injurious. McHenry ( '36) has shown that the addition of vitamin B1 to rats on a basal diet practically doubles the percentage of fat in the liver. Whether used alone, or in combination with vitamin D, and whether used as an adsorbate or as crystalline vitamin, the results were poorer than control series without B1. Of the rats receiving vitamin A at 66,000 units, with Vitamin D and Vitamin B1, only three out of twelve lived 100 days; but on the same dosage of A and D without B1, five out of eight lived 100 days."

The charts in the study show the rats given 100,000IU A, and 500 IU B1, none lived the anticipated 100 days. They averaged a lifespan of 44 days and ALL had fractures.

The largest group of rats living 100 days - all normal, with no fractures and one bearing ten young was the Vitamin A with Vitamin C group. Even some of the groups receiving Vitamin D experienced fractures at 1:1 and 2:1 doses of A & D respectively.

Ulysses

OP
D

Dotdash

Is vitamin D protective against vitamin A toxicity or antagonistic to A?

This particular study shows Vitamin D partially counteracts the toxicity of Vitamin A; whereas Vitamin C completely counteracts it.

n4mele$$

could one experience vitamin A toxicity symptoms (red dry flaky skin) by not having sufficient C, D, B1, Riboflavin, K2, E to neutralize vitamin A?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals