Vitamin A Toxic?

Wahmof10

A friend of mine posted this article this morning about Vitamin A saying it toxic. I was about to buy some. Any input? I don't know enough to have a decent answer. TIA

InChristAlone

B

Braveheart

Yep, here's another really well done paper on the neurotoxic effects of excessive poison A: The neurotoxic effects of vitamin A and retinoids

And anecdotally I consumed a lot of A while pregnant and he has aggression and hyperactivity issues.
Nice find...thanks!.....wow!?... "More recently, De Oliveira et al. (2012a)demonstrated that vitamin A supplementation at 500 to 2,500 IU/kg.day-1induced mitochondrial dysfunction and increased β-amyloid1-40 peptide and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) contents in substantia nigra and striatum of adult rats."

Last edited by a moderator:

somuch4food

And anecdotally I consumed a lot of A while pregnant and he has aggression and hyperactivity issues.

Sorry to hear that. I'm in the midst of observing if my toddler's misbehavior matches vitamin A intake. We ate carrots for 3 meals since sunday and this morning he had his worst tantrum in the bus on the way to daycare, he also did not look rested when waking this morning. Meanwhile, I'm thinking my lower back pain and bad sleep are related to vitamin A since last night was one of my worst night. My partner also seemed more irritable last night. More dots are starting to connect...

I have always consumed a lot of dairy and regularly ate carrots for my whole life, I wouldn't be surprised that I am vitamin A toxic.

InChristAlone

Was that supplemental A or A from real food ?
Well hello Weston Andrew Valleau Price! So nice to see you!
:p:
No supplements, I was following WAPF, so fermented cod liver oil, liver, raw milk, butter.

Bogdar

Well hello Weston Andrew Valleau Price! So nice to see you!
:p:
No supplements, I was following WAPF, so fermented cod liver oil, liver, raw milk, butter.

Haha I'm Weston Price himself.
Well, have you thought about the toxicity of vitamin A could be lack of vitamin K2/D ? Unless your dairies weren't grassfed I doubt it could apply to you anyway. That's weird.

I have personally very good sensations with liver on mood and clarity of skin.

dfspcc20

fermented cod liver oil

I'm skeptical of vitamin A supplements and synthetic retinoids in general, but I think FCLO takes it to another level. Something is seriously wrong with that stuff, just based on taste and smell alone.

EDIT: I say that as someone who was also somehow convinced to take that stuff in a previous life.

Last edited:

somuch4food

Maybe he does not come from a lineage that relied on many vitamin A foods, or maybe there is another that predisposes to this issue.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I'm skeptical of vitamin A supplements and synthetic retinoids in general, but I think FCLO takes it to another level. Something is seriously wrong with that stuff, just based on taste and smell alone.
Cod Liver Oil messed me up when I took it.

Whichway?

I doubt very much his theory that Vit A is a toxin, and the liver stores it to keep it out of your system.

Like Vit D, Vit A binds to special receptors on your DNA and activates many genes which have effects on cell growth, division and death. So I don’t think there is evidence that we can get by without any. Like a lot of the vitamins there is a Goldilocks zone which you want to be in, and perhaps the tolerable upper limit does need review.

Foods are VERY complex mixtures of chemicals, and Grant has put himself on a very restricted elimination diet. There could be many factors in the foods he has eliminated which may have been responsible for his eczema improving. If he did a period where he stayed on his diet and took supplements of retinol for a few months and observed whether his eczema returned, then that would be direct evidence for his claim.

cyclops

If he did a period where he stayed on his diet and took supplements of retinol for a few months and observed whether his eczema returned, then that would be direct evidence for his claim.

Someone should encourage him to do this. Would be very interesting.

somuch4food

Someone should encourage him to do this. Would be very interesting.

He did mention supplementing with lutein brought back many of his symptoms.

It turns out lutein is a non vitamin A carotenoid.

Other people might not be as sensitive as him. He was quite ill before going on a no vitamin A diet.

NatUK

Other people might not be as sensitive as him. He was quite ill before going on a no vitamin A diet.

Yes. I think this is potentially useful for those with more inflammation or autoimmune problems that may be due to toxicity. So many individual variables!

Whichway?

He had such a rough time of it with the ezcema and it takes months to clear it again that he isn’t willing to risk it.

It shouldn’t work that way since it is fat soluble and stores are controlled by the liver. So it takes time to accumulate, and if you are in a low state like he should be now from years on a low diet he would be able to take some and see a slow ramp in symptoms.

mipp

He also mentioned green peas causing problems. Green peas are high in lutein/zeaxahanthin. I found that bit interesting because I had experienced something very similar to what he describes when I ate lots of green peas. My fingers looked burned. Unusal reaction for me but I don't think it was related to vitamin A because I never had such sumptoms from retinol, natural or suplemental. Grant needed only a handful of green peas, I think he is super sensitive to some plant allergens, maybe specific carotenoids or other chemicals

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals