Vitamin A! How does one mitigate the damage of too much ?

GorillaHead

So studies show that vitamin A increases bone formation but too much it destroys bones.
How does one mitigate this issue? I imagine it has to do with imbalance ?

i know vitamin C and E help with toxicity.

does Retinol deplete vitamin k2?

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I think vitamin D.
Are we sure about this one. My understanding is retinol blocks vitamin D transcription in Specific cases.

i am curious if anyone has ever gotten bone issues and fixed it with D. Cause in the forum ive read D didnt solve their problem

youngsinatra

Are we sure about this one. My understanding is retinol blocks vitamin D transcription in Specific cases.

i am curious if anyone has ever gotten bone issues and fixed it with D. Cause in the forum ive read D didnt solve their problem
I‘d speculate that if the retinol storage is high in the liver, that vitamin D levels stay low-ish at normophysiological dosages.
I think it might require higher doses of D to lower stores of A.

Korven

Vitamin D binds to the VDR which then dimerizes with the retinoid X receptors = vitamin D transcriptional activity. In a similar fashion the thyroid receptor also binds with RXR and then goes into the nucleus for transcription.

So I guess you need at least some vitamin A for vitamin D (and thyroid) to work. The low VA crowd will argue that too much vitamin A "crowds out" vitamin D and blocks transcription.

I definitely feel best with a lower vitamin A intake from retinol (not beta-carotene) and no vitamin D supplementation, only sun exposure.

gaze

the most important thing for bones is to keep the PTH down. vitamin D, and calcium, help lower it. too much A might raise it I think, but the right amount can also improve calcium metabolism. vit A can also lower estrogen (according to ray) and estrogen + PTh destroys bones

youngsinatra

Vitamin D binds to the VDR which then dimerizes with the retinoid X receptors = vitamin D transcriptional activity. In a similar fashion the thyroid receptor also binds with RXR and then goes into the nucleus for transcription.

So I guess you need at least some vitamin A for vitamin D (and thyroid) to work. The low VA crowd will argue that too much vitamin A "crowds out" vitamin D and blocks transcription.

I definitely feel best with a lower vitamin A intake from retinol (not beta-carotene) and no vitamin D supplementation, only sun exposure.
Then you already got your answer :)

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I‘d speculate that if the retinol storage is high in the liver, that vitamin D levels stay low-ish at normophysiological dosages.
I think it might require higher doses of D to lower stores of A.
There is a study done on rats that showed increasing vitamin D. Did not stop retinol from doing damage to the bones.

I am honestly surprised no one here has any solid info on this. The dangers of supplementing high dose vitamin A is serious and this forum promotes it like its water.

Mossy

I can say that when I take vitamin A it feels like it's destroying my bones. Major bone pain.

youngsinatra

Stopped retinol supplementation altogether, because I have really yellow calluses now. I am really concerned that people think that I am looking sick. Probably overdid it. But felt good while being on it otherwise. No complaints otherwisey

Have taken 25K IU daily for months and 50-100k IU topically for a few weeks too.

Angel45

I wonder if vitamin A is speeding up metabolism and requiring more nutrients like Ca etc...
GOT THIS IN MY IN BOX:
For example, without adequate Vitamin A, your body can’t use thyroid hormone or produce the thyroid-protective anti-aging hormones necessary to regulate your thyroid function.

In fact, low vitamin A is a well-known cause of hypothyroidism today. We’ve also found that low Vitamin A is the most common reason our customers don’t respond to their thyroid medication or supplement.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I wonder if vitamin A is speeding up metabolism and requiring more nutrients like Ca etc...
GOT THIS IN MY IN BOX:
For example, without adequate Vitamin A, your body can’t use thyroid hormone or produce the thyroid-protective anti-aging hormones necessary to regulate your thyroid function.

In fact, low vitamin A is a well-known cause of hypothyroidism today. We’ve also found that low Vitamin A is the most common reason our customers don’t respond to their thyroid medication or supplement.

Well vitamin A is weird both toxicity and inflammation cause same symptoms.

i mean what u saying is possible. We just gotta avoid calcification

J.R.K

Well vitamin A is weird both toxicity and inflammation cause same symptoms.

i mean what u saying is possible. We just gotta avoid calcification
My thought would be the use of liver weekly would be the best source of vitamin A and since it is in a food source so there is the possibility that if you have a poss of overdose there is a chance that your body may tell you that you have enough if you have no appetite or craving for it.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

My thought would be the use of liver weekly would be the best source of vitamin A and since it is in a food source so there is the possibility that if you have a poss of overdose there is a chance that your body may tell you that you have enough if you have no appetite or craving for it.
I agree with this. Retinol should not be a daily thing considering the body stores it. Retinol should be a weekly thing with daily daily vitamin D

Angel45

What if the smell and taste of liver makes you throw up, is that a sign you don't need A. I've been forcing myself to eat it and have thrown up twice.

FitnessMike

where did you get this info from? i wonder if this is true for me, today i started 10,000 IU of retinyl and my pulse was way better, hoping to replicate the effect tomorrow

""If you are popping your vitamin D pills (or thyroid hormones) and it’s not working for you then try to add some real vitamin A/Retinol (upper level=10,000 IU daily) and see how you feel. Vitamin D might not work for you anyway (it’s better for Th1 dominant), but vitamin A will make it more likely to work for you."""

youngsinatra

where did you get this info from? i wonder if this is true for me, today i started 10,000 IU of retinyl and my pulse was way better, hoping to replicate the effect tomorrow

""If you are popping your vitamin D pills (or thyroid hormones) and it’s not working for you then try to add some real vitamin A/Retinol (upper level=10,000 IU daily) and see how you feel. Vitamin D might not work for you anyway (it’s better for Th1 dominant), but vitamin A will make it more likely to work for you."""
Good article, thanks. I overdid the retinol for months and got some side effects like headaches, worse teeth and yellow calluses on hands and feet. I mitigated that with 2 months of higher dose vitamin D3 and low vitamin A diet temporary.

Just started again on both D3/A together at the upper limit. (10‘000 IU). A is so profoundly androgenic for me - I literally got an instant boner and felt horny AF.
I think retinol is a central piece to steroidogenesis.

Mossy

I’m waiting to see if you guys succeed with vitamin A, and will attempt to replicate if I can. It does seem that a proper balance with the cofactor vitamin D could be key, and hopefully in my case take away the majority bone pain and dryness I get when taking vitamin A.