Vitamin A For Acne

J

j.

In this study, scientists gave men 500,000 IU of vitamin A to fight acne. For comparison purposes, 3 ounces of beef liver have about 25,000 IU.

I say though don't try this at home, at least without trying much smaller doses first.

Abstract
Oral vitamin A (retinol) is generally not considered useful in the treatment of acne vulgaris. We conducted a study which showed that retinol was indeed ineffective at the usual doses of 50,000 to 100,000 IU daily. Retinol was highly efficacious in doses of 300,000 units for women and 400,000 to 500,000 units for men, toxicity was slight and limited mainly to skin (xerosis) and mucous membranes (cheilitis). The danger of hypervitaminosis A in this dosage range has been exaggerated. Retinol is a valuable drug for treating stubborn, severely inflammatory acne vulgaris. It is administered until the disease is brought under control, usually within three to four months. Then the dosage is progressively reduced relying on conventional drugs to keep the disease in abeyance.

Link

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I ate liver a couple of days this week and noticed my acne improved dramatically.

I am slowly backing off supplementing.

OP
J

j.

What's your supplementation regime for vitamin A, Charlie?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
None, now. And barely anything before that. Last week, I ate no liver, had significant acne. This week, ate it 2 days, huge difference. I think I am going to try to eat liver at least once a week from now on. Not having to force it down anymore, so it's not such a big deal like it use to be.

I am trying my best to get everything from food. Except thyroid hormone, since I am not able to get that from food I am supplementing that.

OP
J

j.

My bigger problem is dandruff, not acne. Having liver once a week is usually enough to keep dandruff away. However, now that I've been sunbathing, the beef liver hasn't been enough, so I plan to take via capsules 25,000 IU (the amount beef liver has) a few days per week.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Does the dandruff itch or burn? Do you think it could possibly be seborrheic dermatitis? Because I am dealing with that and I also noticed that its much better this week.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Does it burn when water hits it after its been scratched? Holy cow mine does.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mine doesnt itch either. It burns when water hits it after being scratched. If I put Scalpicin on it, its burns really bad but then get better quickly. Scalpicin is basically aspirin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
K, but back on topic. Liver is definitely helping my acne.

Dan W

I was able to fight acne pretty well by going as high as 15,000IU from beef liver combined with 20,000IU from Nutrisorb A. But that level started drying/cracking my lips, triggering irritation-based acne around them.

I wonder if there's a trick to reducing the drying-effect of vitamin A. I can't imagine how bad I'd be at the 500,000IU mentioned in that report.

mcconte75

How about trying Environ's RAD product so your treating your skin from the outside also. Skin companies are cottoning on to anti-ageing properties, reversing pigmentation and wrinkles, and protecting from sun damage. Vitamin A's sun protective effect is doubly important because it is clear we need sunlight to make "hormone" D.

Attachments

• Vitamin_E_msds_naissance_072013.pdf
    426.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Vitamin_E_Oil_COA_Naissance_10_2014.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 36

Dan W

mcconte75, what do you like about Environ RAD? I don't know enough about sunscreen to see what's unique about its ingredients, and it has some that Peat would object to.

mcconte75

I think they are more favorable to a sunblock that stop your skin's ability to synthesize the hormone D.

Someone has recommended them for my acne. I am like yourself experimenting with levels of vitamins first but will be looking into trying their range as it's the levels of vitamins in this brand that are far higher than other brands on the market.
I found some links about about environ with some positive results. Again I think a proper consultation is needed with purchasing the AVST range.
http://www.amandaharebeautytherapy.com/ ... andes.html
http://www.chelleon.co.uk/environ
http://www.environ.co.za/results

4peatssake

A bit off topic, but have you ever tried coconut oil to cure acne?
It is the only thing - save for Vit E - that I put on my skin. I have never had problems with acne thankfully but dirt in pores/blackheads have been bothersome at times. All gone with coconut oil. And I find my skin feels so good!

I have found there is an art to application - I use on my entire body while in the shower - so I don't dry myself off first, I wait until I shut the water off and apply it to my wet skin. Same with the bath, I apply right out of the tub, without drying off. For my face, I apply to damp or dry skin - if on dry skin I use it sparingly, up to the amount I wish to use. For women, if you use make up it may run like crazy so wait awhile or go without! ;)

Role of Coconut Oil in Acne treatment
: So, what is role of coconut oil in Acne treatment? Coconut Oil is the source of two of the most powerful anti microbial agents found in any food substances. These are Capric Acid and Lauric Acid. They are the same acids that are found in mother’s milk and keep the baby protected from infections. When these are applied on skin, some microbes (good ones) present on skin convert these acids into Monocaprin and Monolaurin respectively, thereby replacing the protective acid layer on the skin. So, no microbial infection and no Acne! Not only external application, but internal consumption of coconut oil will give you the same protection, this time internally.
Further, coconut oil is a rich source of Vitamin-E. This keeps your skin healthy and ensures proper functioning of sebum glands and clears blockage, thereby treating the very root cause of Acne. Finally, Coconut Oil is soothing on skin and highly penetrating. So, when applied on skin, it is absorbed readily and cuts down inflammation due to Acne to a great extent. It also helps heal any sort of wound on skin due to aggravated cases of Acne. And above all, Coconut Oil improves the rate of metabolism. This also indirectly affects proper secretion and balance of hormones and thus curbs out chances of Acne.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/coconut-oil-for-acne.html

The article recommends virgin coconut oil but I don't use that - I use organic refined - not virgin coconut oil.

Another good article - blog post, here: http://www.hybridrastamama.com/2012/07/coconut-oil-and-acne.html

No "hard" science though. :roll: Sorry. ;)

Dan W

Interesting stuff, 4peatssake. I've thought about using coconut oil, but it always sounds like it makes people's acne either moderately better, or terribly worse. I've wondered if it has different actions depending on the person's skin, like maybe drawing out sebum and skin cells when pores are loosely clogged, but sealing them in otherwise.

At some point I will experiment with it and report back.

jyb

Same as for Dan, unfortunately I'm not inclined to put any oil even coconut on my face as I fear it triggering acne.

Gary

Coconut oil is very comedogenic. That article states:

Further, coconut oil is a rich source of Vitamin-E. This keeps your skin healthy and ensures proper functioning of sebum glands and clears blockage, thereby treating the very root cause of Acne.

It admits that blocked sebum glands are the root cause of acne, yet fails to mention that coconut oil absolutely and totally will block sebum glands.

Consuming it would be fine, but if applying it to skin make sure not to leave it on and make sure to clear it off well.