Vitamin A dose to produce effect ?

Tidal

I've read the study which says that a one off 200,000 IU dose of vitamin A improved autistic symptoms and reduced serotonin. That all sounds great, but isn't that a monstrously high dose?

And with all the talk of toxicity on the other thread, I'd be worried to take that much.
But is there any point in taking a lower dose if what you desire is the above effects? If you took a lower dose, would the effects build over time to reduce serotonin etc?

And what dose is considered toxic?

redsun

I've read the study which says that a one off 200,000 IU dose of vitamin A improved autistic symptoms and reduced serotonin. That all sounds great, but isn't that a monstrously high dose?

And with all the talk of toxicity on the other thread, I'd be worried to take that much.
But is there any point in taking a lower dose if what you desire is the above effects? If you took a lower dose, would the effects build over time to reduce serotonin etc?

And what dose is considered toxic?
I would stay far away from vitamin A megadoses. Otherwise you will end up in that thread with everyone else who got there supplementing vitamin A as retinol and eating tons of liver for long periods of time. Eating a few eggs a day, and a few servings of dairy a day will give you plenty of retinol without the risk of build up in the liver. I would also avoid liver because it is very high in vitamin A. You can also consume plant foods for beta carotene which won't contribute to vitamin A toxicity.

Getting a higher choline intake (800mg+) a day should be helpful for autism and is not toxic like high doses of vitamin A. Eggs and meat are the best sources of choline. Dairy can contribute some as well. These foods are also generally higher in vital micronutrients that can also be helpful.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I just read a great paper about autism and the ALDH connection. Autism mimicks that of alcoholism. There are genetic mutations that cause a decrease in the ability to detoxify aldehydes. With that they propose that there would be a bottleneck in retinaldehyde so that they become deficient in retinoic acid. But that also means their liver is going to have lots of retinol wouldn't it? Adding more on top of that I don't think is very wise.

OP
T

Tidal

I would stay far away from vitamin A megadoses. Otherwise you will end up in that thread with everyone else who got there supplementing vitamin A as retinol and eating tons of liver for long periods of time. Eating a few eggs a day, and a few servings of dairy a day will give you plenty of retinol without the risk of build up in the liver. I would also avoid liver because it is very high in vitamin A. You can also consume plant foods for beta carotene which won't contribute to vitamin A toxicity.

Getting a higher choline intake (800mg+) a day should be helpful for autism and is not toxic like high doses of vitamin A. Eggs and meat are the best sources of choline. Dairy can contribute some as well. This foods are also generally higher in vital micronutrients that can also be helpful.

I understand but it's just weird how one group of people claim that it's a miracle vitamin and the other claims that it's a toxin and not needed at all. I may just supplement with smaller amounts but I doubt it will be enough to reduce serotonin.

Took plenty of choline and never helped much

redsun

I understand but it's just weird how one group of people claim that it's a miracle vitamin and the other claims that it's a toxin and not needed at all. I may just supplement with smaller amounts but I doubt it will be enough to reduce serotonin.

Took plenty of choline and never helped much
Both groups are wrong. It is not a toxin. But it is bad to have in excess because we do not get rid of it easily. Few people think its a toxin, but some have intoxicated themselves in vitamin A which is a fact that it can happen but it does not mean it itself a toxin. It depends on the dose and liver stores.

I hope choline from food and not from supplements. Choline only is not as effective as nutrient rich choline rich foods and a higher carb diet. Lack of iron is likely an important factor as well in autism. But it is much more complicated in this. However in general, a diet higher in animal foods (especially eggs and flesh like meat, fish, seafood) would be more beneficial in reducing autism symptoms.

Jessie

Vitamin A is certainly not toxic when used responsibly in the appropriate context. I'm honestly not sure how Grant's fringe theories became so popular here of all places. He's not a scientist or a doctor, he has no formal understanding of biochemsity, endocrinology, or anything important to our discussions here. To put it simply, he's a hack.

Vitamin A requirements are highly individualized based on fluctuations in thyroid function, metabolism, and steroidogenesis. Someone with low metabolism and a low LDL turnover rate needs substantially less vitamin A. But this could also greatly depend on exogenous hormone supplementation as well.

If you're taking things like pregnenolone, progresterone, DHEA, thyroid, you're gonna want to UP that A consumption. I suspect a lot of the problems people suffer around here are due to them taking thyroid or progesterone but also avoiding vitamin A. For example, progesterone will only correct skin problems if you're also getting vitamin A. Without the A, progesterone can actually exacerbate acne.

I've been eating 1lb of beef liver every week for the past year without much trouble at all. Feel great actually.

InChristAlone

Vitamin A is certainly not toxic when used responsibly in the appropriate context. I'm honestly not sure how Grant's fringe theories became so popular here of all places. He's not a scientist or a doctor, he has no formal understanding of biochemsity, endocrinology, or anything important to our discussions here. To put it simply, he's a hack.

Vitamin A requirements are highly individualized based on fluctuations in thyroid function, metabolism, and steroidogenesis. Someone with low metabolism and a low LDL turnover rate needs substantially less vitamin A. But this could also greatly depend on exogenous hormone supplementation as well.

If you're taking things like pregnenolone, progresterone, DHEA, thyroid, you're gonna want to UP that A consumption. I suspect a lot of the problems people suffer around here are due to them taking thyroid or progesterone but also avoiding vitamin A. For example, progesterone will only correct skin problems if you're also getting vitamin A. Without the A, progesterone can actually exacerbate acne.

I've been eating 1lb of beef liver every week for the past year without much trouble at all. Feel great actually.
Just curious how much zinc do you get in your diet? Also do you eat the raw carrot salad for toxic bile elimination? Or other forms of soluble fiber?

Jessie

Just curious how much zinc do you get in your diet?
Quite a bit actually. If my meal plan is a 1/2lb of liver on Monday, I'll usually follow that up with 1 or 2 cans of oysters the next night, just to balance the copper with zinc.

Also do you eat the raw carrot salad for toxic bile elimination? Or other forms of soluble fiber?
I use to make the carrot salad a regular part of my routine. I don't do it anymore though. I've used wheat bran off an on as well with good results. But my main focus here recently has been to simplify my diet.

I've noticed most of my intestinal endotoxin issues have dissipated since I started using progest-e. I avoided it for the longest, thinking it might be too feminizing. But honestly it's probably the best thing I've ever started for my intestinal health anyways.

And in regards to it's "feminizing" effects, I've actually increased my muscle mass since using it, lol. I take it with a small amount of DHEA, so maybe that helps negate some of the feminine effects.

InChristAlone

Quite a bit actually. If my meal plan is a 1/2lb of liver on Monday, I'll usually follow that up with 1 or 2 cans of oysters the next night, just to balance the copper with zinc.

I use to make the carrot salad a regular part of my routine. I don't do it anymore though. I've used wheat bran off an on as well with good results. But my main focus here recently has been to simplify my diet.

I've noticed most of my intestinal endotoxin issues have dissipated since I started using progest-e. I avoided it for the longest, thinking it might be too feminizing. But honestly it's probably the best thing I've ever started for my intestinal health anyways.

And in regards to it's "feminizing" effects, I've actually increased my muscle mass since using it, lol. I take it with a small amount of DHEA, so maybe that helps negate some of the feminine effects.
Sounds like you are a healthy young man. I hope it stays that way for you! I was pretty healthy too until stress caught up with me and Peat diet didn't work and now I have the worst cholesterol I've ever had. Feelings arent always a good indicator of health. Because I sure did feel good when I was consuming coffee!

Nomane Euger

Sounds like you are a healthy young man. I hope it stays that way for you! I was pretty healthy too until stress caught up with me and Peat diet didn't work and now I have the worst cholesterol I've ever had. Feelings arent always a good indicator of health. Because I sure did feel good when I was consuming coffee!
hi,how do you know that coffee is the cause of some of the long term negative effects you experienced despit making you feel good?

Jessie

Well, we're all dealing with our own problems, I'd venture to guess that's why most of us are here. But sure, relatively speaking, I would probably consider myself "healthy." If it's even possible to adequately define that word, lol.

Feeling should never be an indicator of your health status as a whole, it's important to get blood work done occasionally.

I do think the cholesterol thing is kinda bonkers though. If your Cholesterol is like 240 and the doc says it's too high, but you feel good, then I wouldn't worry about it. Might look into possibly taking thyroid if you're trying to bring it back down safely.

InChristAlone

hi,how do you know that coffee is the cause of some of the long term negative effects you experienced despit making you feel good?
Overstimulating and increases estrogen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals