Vitamin A/D Status, Skin

Anders86

Would it be true to say that a tan in skin appears as a response to filter sun/Vitamin D? And if you are pale skinned it could be a symptom of low Vitamin D higher Vitamin A status. And then going from pale to tan is an indicator of balanced A/D status. Would people that get a very easy tan be an indicator of low Vitamin A status?

OP
Anders86

Anders86

84351318.png

I wrote this post in this state :confused::D

I was just wondering as the sun finally has come to Norway. I see how some people get a tan easy and someone like me that have to work for my tan, who eat liver and supplement some Vitamin A sporadically.

A "health-oriented" friend of mine came back from the doctor showing high Vitamin A levels, and as Vitamin A and D works synergistic I had a thought that we Norwegians might be more prone to higher Vitamin A as we have little access to balance it out with Vitamin D. This person did not supplement Vitamin A and have thyroid issues.

I also noticed a couple people get a very dominant tan as soon as they get some sun on their skin, and I would consider them having a bad diet.

I know Peat says that increased sun is an increase for Vitamin A, and I was thinking it would be an easy tool to some self awareness/diagnosis on his own Vitamin A and D status. If there is a truth to this :rolleyes:

Tenacity

Some thoughts:

• An immediate tan might prevent a person from making more vitamin D. Dependent on the vitamin D status of an individual, this might be a good or a bad thing.
  • I recall Peat saying that vitamin D improves the ability to tan without burning, but I don't remember the source.
  • My facial acne improved after using oral vitamin D. Peat has said that acne can be treated with thyroid and vitamin A. Perhaps vitamin D and vitamin A interact in some way, where both are required to see improvement.
I'm not 100% clued up on the interaction between A and D.

OP
Anders86

Anders86

• Maybe people who have low Vitamin A need less Vitamin D to promote a tan as they don`t have enough Vitamin A to support higher Vitamin D?
  • I see..
  • Vitamin D and Calcium does lower PTH that can have given you better thyroid function. Could that be an indicator that you also might had higher Vitamin A status? Yeah, I also think they interact and that they should be balanced to promote better health. But environmental factor is important. There is a big different of northern country like Norway and a western country like Mexico.
I`m not clued at all myself.. Thank`s for thoughts :):

sunraiser

• Maybe people who have low Vitamin A need less Vitamin D to promote a tan as they don`t have enough Vitamin A to support higher Vitamin D?
  • I see..
  • Vitamin D and Calcium does lower PTH that can have given you better thyroid function. Could that be an indicator that you also might had higher Vitamin A status? Yeah, I also think they interact and that they should be balanced to promote better health. But environmental factor is important. There is a big different of northern country like Norway and a western country like Mexico.
I`m not clued at all myself.. Thank`s for thoughts :):

It’s an interesting topic and I like your thought process.

I have been considering this recently and it does seem the body tightly regulates vitamin A and D balance as best it can. With regard to the immune system it’s more effective with the right A and D balance and far worse when they’re out of balance.

I wouldn’t be surprised if tanning had a regulatory mechanism in the way you’ve mentioned.

From my own experiences it seems like a long term vitamin D deficiency will eventually result in a degree of vitamin A deficiency even with a diet rich in vitamin A, and vice versa.

I think supplements should be started at low doses and generally never ever mega dosed, ideally only taking one (probably vitamin D as you can’t command the sun!) and allowing vit A and K through dietary cravings.

There are definitely lots of similar compensatory mechanisms going on in the body. Perhaps it highlights the risks in supplementation and reiterates the need to supplement starting low and slow and never megadosing. Supplements can often override the bodies compensatory safety mechanisms in my own experience.

artist

I've always tended to tan almost instantaneously from sun exposure and I attribute this to my yellow-olive coloring more than anything. Never noticed this trait being altered by vitamin A or D supplementation.

baccheion

Nrf2/Glutathione (fat-solubles, vitamin C, astaxanthin, ashwagandha + bacopa + milk thistle + artichoke extract + curcumin, MSM, etc) is like an internal sunscreen.

Last edited:
OP
Anders86

Anders86

It’s an interesting topic and I like your thought process.

I have been considering this recently and it does seem the body tightly regulates vitamin A and D balance as best it can. With regard to the immune system it’s more effective with the right A and D balance and far worse when they’re out of balance.

I wouldn’t be surprised if tanning had a regulatory mechanism in the way you’ve mentioned.

From my own experiences it seems like a long term vitamin D deficiency will eventually result in a degree of vitamin A deficiency even with a diet rich in vitamin A, and vice versa.

I think supplements should be started at low doses and generally never ever mega dosed, ideally only taking one (probably vitamin D as you can’t command the sun!) and allowing vit A and K through dietary cravings.

There are definitely lots of similar compensatory mechanisms going on in the body. Perhaps it highlights the risks in supplementation and reiterates the need to supplement starting low and slow and never megadosing. Supplements can often override the bodies compensatory safety mechanisms in my own experience.

Yes, I totally agree with low dosage supplements and preferably getting Vitamin A and K from foods.
I also see your point on long term low Vitamin D deficiency creating Vitamin A deficiency. I consider myself low on Vitamin D and cannot tolerate much Vitamin A..

It is still cold in Norway and there is no growth of plants yet. Cant`t wait to get my hands on some good vegetables for my Vitamin K.

OP
Anders86

Anders86

Nrf2/Glutathione (fat-solubles, vitamin C, astaxanthin, ashwagandha + bacopa + milk thistle + artichoke extract + curcumin, MSM, etc) is like an internal sunscreen.

I like to take minimal supplements oral, especially supplements with heavy metal contamination like Ashwaghanda-Bacopa-Milk Thistle-Artichoke-Curcumin. I used them all before finding Peat and I like them, especially Ashwaghanda and Milk Tistle.

I would boil them if I had them in my garden..

OP
Anders86

Anders86

I've always tended to tan almost instantaneously from sun exposure and I attribute this to my yellow-olive coloring more than anything. Never noticed this trait being altered by vitamin A or D supplementation.

I see. I guess your yellow-olive coloring is based on your genetical outcome based on your country`s origin and that could be called your "baseline" skin color? Or could your "baseline" skin color be an result of your mother`s Vitamin A and D status?

baccheion

I like to take minimal supplements oral, especially supplements with heavy metal contamination like Ashwaghanda-Bacopa-Milk Thistle-Artichoke-Curcumin. I used them all before finding Peat and I like them, especially Ashwaghanda and Milk Tistle.

I would boil them if I had them in my garden..
Contamination all depends on the source. Vitamin D also activates Nrf2.

OP
Anders86

Anders86

Contamination all depends on the source. Vitamin D also activates Nrf2.

Yeah I liked to think that way myself. I used the Gaia brand and Nootropics Depot for a long time thinking that was one of the better. But every herb is in someway or another contaminated. Even if you get the the better brands with less contamination it is still a supplement you swallow several times a day and possible for many many years..

sunraiser

Yes, I totally agree with low dosage supplements and preferably getting Vitamin A and K from foods.
I also see your point on long term low Vitamin D deficiency creating Vitamin A deficiency. I consider myself low on Vitamin D and cannot tolerate much Vitamin A..

It is still cold in Norway and there is no growth of plants yet. Cant`t wait to get my hands on some good vegetables for my Vitamin K.

It’s sad to hear you can’t get green veg all the time in Norway - we have almost year round organic access here in the UK. It’s often imported from Spain during winter but I’m definitely thankful for it.

I’m really surprised it isn’t available!

OP
Anders86

Anders86

It’s sad to hear you can’t get green veg all the time in Norway - we have almost year round organic access here in the UK. It’s often imported from Spain during winter but I’m definitely thankful for it.

I’m really surprised it isn’t available!

It`s available in imported form.
I have several organic green farms around me and I guess I`m just spoiled.

I`m gonna take a look at the imported ones..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals