Vitamin A And Joint Pains

Pointless

With high dose Vitamin A, 25,000 IU or more, I get joint pains. I always thought this was low estrogen before getting into the Peat world. Since I believe I have issues with vitamin A deficiency like keratinosis pilaris and acne, I would like to get more Vitamin A, but I'm not sure what causes these joint pains. Vitamin K2 doesn't seem to help, but I'm going to continue supplementing.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

No, I wake up with about 96.5 temp, and I can get it up to around 98.0 with supplements and sugar. I take tyromax, one drop per day.

Peata

How's it going now? Maybe your Vit. A requires more balance with Vit. D.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

I guess I neglected to mention in the original post that in the past I've tried to balance out vitamin A with tons of vitamin D, E, and K2. Out of the 4 fat solubles, A is always the most problematic, no matter how much I take of the other ones. I would always get pains in my joints, especially my knees.

I use EstroBan 4 drops a day topically now. I still get mild acne, but people probably aren't meant to take so much vitamin A anyway. Haidut said that he got his levels of fat solubles up to the top of the reference range from deficiency with 8 drops of EstroBan, so maybe I'll use more.

As ecstatichamster pointed out, thyroid is probably an issue, so I'm supplementing with T3 and T4. I was using TyroMax and making good progress but was worried about some of the results people were getting, so I switched to something more tried-and-true. Temps still low, though. I think maybe I'm not converting it well, but maybe my body will adapt.

blob69

Very likely you are hypothyroid and vitamin A is just suppressing your metabolic rate further. Ray said that most hypothyroid people need only about 5000 IU/d and anything more than that will suppress metabolism.

For me, vitamin A has done exactly that (caused joint pains too, as well as eventual worsening of acne), and it took a while to get it out of my system and repair the damage.

EIRE24

Very likely you are hypothyroid and vitamin A is just suppressing your metabolic rate further. Ray said that most hypothyroid people need only about 5000 IU/d and anything more than that will suppress metabolism.

For me, vitamin A has done exactly that (caused joint pains too, as well as eventual worsening of acne), and it took a while to get it out of my system and repair the damage.

So what's the cure for acne in that case? Is it gone now?

Belsazar

I have a similar issue. I get an increase in joint pain from Vitamin A. But i have to mention that i was twice on Isotretinoin and used Adapalene for several months. Adapalene was a nightmare and made things really bad! But it took me a while to make the connection, as i underestimated the absorbtion of topicals.
Im taking 5000-2500iu of vitamin A, i cant go above that. As i figured out Niacinamide helps a lot for joint pain (dosage 500mg twice daily).

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Well I'm taking 1g of niacinamide twice a day. The joint pains are still there, but it doesn't bother me too much. One thing I've read is that it could be my bones growing, and this is sometimes a little painful.

sladerunner69

Well I'm taking 1g of niacinamide twice a day. The joint pains are still there, but it doesn't bother me too much. One thing I've read is that it could be my bones growing, and this is sometimes a little painful.

That is a heavy dose of niacinimide. Does it make you hungry for sugar often? Even lesss than 500mg niacinimide makes me insatiably hungry for sugar.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

That is a heavy dose of niacinimide. Does it make you hungry for sugar often? Even lesss than 500mg niacinimide makes me insatiably hungry for sugar.

I eat a ton of sugar. If I eat sugar without niacinamide, it makes me anxious and irritable. Working on that and hoping to come down in dose.

sladerunner69

I eat a ton of sugar. If I eat sugar without niacinamide, it makes me anxious and irritable. Working on that and hoping to come down in dose.

Wow! I have never heard that before... so maybe your glycose metabolism is quite poor. how old are you and what was your diet like before peating? Im assyming it can take quite some time for people to adjust from eating primarily fat to primarily carbs.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Wow! I have never heard that before... so maybe your glycose metabolism is quite poor. how old are you and what was your diet like before peating? Im assyming it can take quite some time for people to adjust from eating primarily fat to primarily carbs.

Well no surprise there. Former ketogenic dieter. I have tried many diets to deal with inflammatory bowel disease, most of them low carb or low sugar or fasting.

I'm 31. My temps have been better than usual lately. Usually maxes around 97.9 or 98.0. any more thyroid or k2 and I get diarrhea.

I have gotten bad anxiety from sugar for a long time. Things that have helped are Cellfood, magnesium, but niacinamide works the best. It used to make it worse but not anymore.

sladerunner69

Well no surprise there. Former ketogenic dieter. I have tried many diets to deal with inflammatory bowel disease, most of them low carb or low sugar or fasting.

I'm 31. My temps have been better than usual lately. Usually maxes around 97.9 or 98.0. any more thyroid or k2 and I get diarrhea.

I have gotten bad anxiety from sugar for a long time. Things that have helped are Cellfood, magnesium, but niacinamide works the best. It used to make it worse but not anymore.

Yep exactomundo, there you go. ketogenic diets can get you skinny but are not healthful in any sense.

Have you tried theanine? nothing has worked so well for me at crushing anxiety, that and antibiotics. Im not sure its mechanism of action exactly but theanine is very sedative and many here always takr it with coffee to countwr the anxiety effect that caffiene tends to have on many.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Theanine is cool, but it just makes me super aware, almost zen-like. I can be anxious and irritable, but I'm at peace with it lol

dand

"Ray says" but have you seen what a lot of the research Haidut posted has shown? Doesn't appear to be suppress thyroid at well over 100,000 iu / day. I point this out because I too had limited Vitamin A for that reason, but have been experimenting with much higher doses to no ill effect and have had several positive responses.

Ella

Forum Supporter
With high dose Vitamin A, 25,000 IU or more, I get joint pains. I always thought this was low estrogen before getting into the Peat world. Since I believe I have issues with vitamin A deficiency like keratinosis pilaris and acne, I would like to get more Vitamin A, but I'm not sure what causes these joint pains. Vitamin K2 doesn't seem to help, but I'm going to continue supplementing.

What are you Vitamin D levels like? Do you eat liver?

SaltGirl

Doesn't Vitamin A and Zinc play together? Couldn't high doses of Vitamin A screw around with the Zinc balance in the body?

Broken man

bad liver function makes vitamin A toxic, pregnenolone, vitamin k, niacinamide helped me with my joints.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Doesn't Vitamin A and Zinc play together? Couldn't high doses of Vitamin A screw around with the Zinc balance in the body?
It can also screw around with copper levels. I would check copper and ceruloplasmin levels.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals