Vit K - Supplement Or Food Source?

barbwirehouse

Vit K is obviously important to have.

You can get it from a plant (kale, spinach, beet greens, collard greens, turnip greens, swiss chard) or a from supplement.

What's your choice?

dd99

You can also get it from cheeses like gouda, eggs, butter and liver. But if you want to reach the dosages of 15-45mg some people have mentioned on the forum to treat, for example, fatty liver, you won't be able to do that through food alone. You'd have to eat a few kilos of eggs and cheese a day!

johns74

If you eat pancreas, tongue, liver, tripe, or dairy fat from grass fed animals, it's probably not necessary to supplement.

Vegetables are not a source of vitamin K2. Despite the fact that K1 can be converted to K2, intake of K2 has positive effects that don't occur by consuming K1.

Brian

The highest source of vitamin K from diet is probably resistant starch and leafy greens. When it ferments in the large intestine if you have vitamin K producing bacteria they should make all of what an already healthy person needs in a M7 form, while internal organs such as the testes can metabolize K1 into K2 M4 (but this is probably only working well in someone with an already robust metabolism). For therapeutic purposes higher doses of K2 M4 from supplement are the right tool for the job.

I like to use both.

jyb

Brian said:
The highest source of vitamin K from diet is probably resistant starch and leafy greens.

What about quality dairy? I used to cure my tinnitus every time I had one by drinking fresh milk (K2 supplement is another other way I used). It never happened with store dairy, even the "organic" one.

Brian

Pastured cows in the spring would probably be the most reliable time to obtain a significant amount of K2 from dairy, but other than that I would think it would be a minor source in most areas. Supplementation is probably the only abundant reliable source unless you already have a great metabolism and somehow get a lot of K2 production from gut fermentation and greens, which might not be happening without supplementing K2 producing bacteria.

Peater

Apparently gouda is very high due to the specific bacteria involved in its production

pboy

mangos and papayas are respectable food sources that don't have anything offensive about them, dairy fat too...or else pretty much every other food that has any kind of significant vitamin K is potential or certainly offensive, but supplementing seems silly because our requirement for vitamin K is extremely low, if you have a good diet. You can get by with like 15-20 mcg of highly absorbable food based vit K in a day

G

gummybear

pboy said:
mangos and papayas are respectable food sources that don't have anything offensive about them, dairy fat too...or else pretty much every other food that has any kind of significant vitamin K is potential or certainly offensive, but supplementing seems silly because our requirement for vitamin K is extremely low, if you have a good diet. You can get by with like 15-20 mcg of highly absorbable food based vit K in a day

Were you high when you wrote this

pboy

no, why? even if I was it wouldn't have mattered. I don't think you have a clue what youre talking about, and I don't appreciate the desperate constipated sarcastic comments, but whatever, its to be expected I guess from the average person

[ moderator edit: post moved ]

Best Vitamin K2 Source?

Any?

Cheapest?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

paymanz

Things like this have been discussed on forum before,search forum you find good info.

southcesar

"Some fibers, such as raw carrots, that are effective for lowering endotoxin absorption also contain natural antibiotics, so regular use of carrots should be balanced by occasional supplementation with vitamin K, or by occasionally eating liver or broccoli."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals