Vit. C/Ascorbic Acid/Blood Vessels/Tobacco Smoking/Liver Burden

Nicholas

I am considering supplementing Vitamin C (probably the Nutrigold brand i found on Toxinless) because of broken capillaries forming on my face. It's the only supplement that makes sense so far in my research (perhaps in combo. with a little Lysine). There are, obviously, more systemic issues going on but at this point, i really have fine-tuned my diet to be working so well of late that i don't know how i could be doing anything so detrimental. I am pretty fair-skinned but am in the sun a lot. This could cause damage (i don't have the broken capillaries on any other part of my body but like the feeling of the sun on my face).....another issue could be smoking....never had skin issues before as a smoker, in fact very clear skin....but studies i have come across link vitamin C depletion among smokers (smoking also lowers NO). In the scenario that the broken capillaries are related to some type of liver issue, supplementing Vit. C (if i'm deficient) could potentially relieve an immune system burden. (my job can be physically taxing, so there's the free fatty acid issue there).

So that's a little bit of the context. I read here in other threads about commercial Vit. C products being allergenic and not really Vit. C....so if i've narrowed it down to a food-based Vit. C....i certainly consume enough Vit. C a day from food....but if certain factors of my life are depleting it, then i need to experiment.......and, of course, the main concern is the interaction with Iron.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if Vit. C only interacts with Iron if consumed at the same time? As far as i know, Vit. C is not stored.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm not sure if it's true but I read somewhere years ago an estimate that each tobacco cigarette depletes approximately 25 mg of vitamin C from the body.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Blossom said:
post 106288 I'm not sure if it's true but I read somewhere years ago an estimate that each tobacco cigarette depletes approximately 25 mg of vitamin C from the body.

thanks......it's really baffling to me that i never knew about this - but i did know about smokers needing more copper. The thought came to me today because i have an older friend with Hep C and he's always religiously taken large doses of ascorbic acid (he's also a smoker)....and i've always noticed how good of skin and hair he has despite the liver burden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nicholas said:
post 106295
Blossom said:
post 106288 I'm not sure if it's true but I read somewhere years ago an estimate that each tobacco cigarette depletes approximately 25 mg of vitamin C from the body.

thanks......it's really baffling to me that i never knew about this - but i did know about smokers needing more copper. The thought came to me today because i have an older friend with Hep C and he's always religiously taken large doses of ascorbic acid (he's also a smoker)....and i've always noticed how good of skin and hair he has despite the liver burden.
I didn't know that about copper and smoking. Very interesting. Good luck with your experiment with vitamin C.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

....coming across more and more studies showing Vitamin C & Lysine to be anti-angiogenic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals