Vinegar Smell Saliva

M

marikay

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience with your saliva/breath smelling like vinegar? When I lick my wrist and smell my skin, there is a very strong smell of vinegar. It's really bothering me.

I keep a pretty good peaty diet (though I still don't get enough calories). And I take cynoplus and occasionally other peat approved supplements (though no supplements right now).

I'm stumped. Any thoughts :?:

SQu

Ammonia breath is mentioned by peat but I'm not sure how that smells. Mine has occasionally had an acetone / alcohol smell and I've wondered whether that is it, as I suspect ammonia may be an issue for me. Vinegar shares with those smells that slightly eye watering quality, as if alcohol is evaporating. If it is indeed an ammonia smell, I believe it's a sign the body is not able to use protein properly. I know peat has mentioned potato juice to help. Hopefully someone will know more about the smell of ammonia breath and whether that's what you have.

tara

I've read that acetone smelling breath resulted from being in ketosis from lack of carbohydrates, and that ammonia breath is from protein breakdown - either when you eat a lot of protein and some of it is broken down for fuel, or when you eat too low calories and your body is catabolising it's own protein for fuel. Haven't searched for further verification.
Was that recent, or during a low carb/calorie time?

OP
M

marikay

Thanks Tara and sues for the thoughts. I think I may have solved part of the problem. On a hunch, I took a few small pinches of salt orally last night and waited a few minutes. Then I did the lick wrist test again and didn't smell any vinegar smell (It was definitely a vinegar smell and not ammonia or acetone). I read somewhere (not on this forum) that a salt water rinse as a mouthwash can help get rid of bad breath. I think I'm going to try that. I do have a history of not getting enough salt, and it didn't occur to me till after I posted the post above that the vinegar smell to my breath might be a salt issue.

I'll report back in a day or two if the salt water mouthwash works.

Thanks again.

Mary

SQu

Some people here are getting good results from more salt. I'm sure it's worth looking into for many reasons, breath being just one. In fact breath might be a really useful clue. In my case the ammonia breath was recent and not from too few carbs, or calories, nor did i think too much protein, but then I'm not using nutrients properly and maybe that goes for protein too.

OP
M

marikay

Thanks sueq. I wish you all the best in figuring out what is causing the ammonia breath. What nutrients are you not using properly? I'm curious because I wonder if I am doing something foolish and not realizing it also.

OP
M

marikay

I just emailed ray and he responded:

"Acetic acid can be produced in the intestine (and absorbed into the blood) from undercooked starch and some gums used as food additives."

I've asked him if there is anything I can eat more of to combat the problem when it occurs. I'll post again if I hear back.

OP
M

marikay

And here's his reply to my query on what I should be eating more of:

"Antiseptic foods such as raw carrots or well cooked mushrooms or bamboo shoots."

And so once again I berate myself for not eating the carrot salad regularly. Oh well...

SQu

Something completely different then. Great that you know what's behind it. The carrot is a pain but I have to admit it makes a difference and I try not to miss it.
I'm not using glucose properly yet after years of low carbing (based on weight gain and low energy) and even some deficiency signs to some b vits and minerals like magnesium in spite of getting plenty on paper.

tara

marikay said:
And here's his reply to my query on what I should be eating more of:

"Antiseptic foods such as raw carrots or well cooked mushrooms or bamboo shoots."

And so once again I berate myself for not eating the carrot salad regularly. Oh well...
OK, more reasons for mushroom soup. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals