Views On Use Of Antibiotics?

aquaman

I've seen some mention of use of antibiotics, for things like SIBO.

I have bloating and gas as regular issues, what are your opinions of a short use of antibiotics?

I've seen some comments on here that it can be useful, and RP even recommending Penicillin use, but if anyone has more detailed, specific advice that would be great.

Thanks

Do you do the carrot salad daily? How are your temps and pulse? Are you on thyroid medication? Transit time?...sorry to be so nosy :)

himsahimsa

From my own experience over years. First, as I think you already must know, the bacteria that live in your intestines are potentially/normally symbiotic and unless they have been disrupted, usually by antibiotics in the past, will be symbiotic. So whatever diet protocol you use, you must think of what you are eating as feeding a culture that you are maintaining. There is really no way around it, the culture will be there and will be either symbiotic or pathological so it is necessary to promote symbiosis.

In the case that you have a desperately bad situation in your gut, antibiotics like low dose tetracyclines might be helpful but if it was that bad you would be miserable and frightened by the immediate symptoms. More likely you just have to nudge the culture into more cooperative behavior.

So, in that, let me suggest; the usual probiotics from the heath food store, containing at least Ruteri and Bifidus, but for bringing everybody else into a more harmonious state I suggest you try Saccharomyces Boulardii a few times a week (for a while, not as a constant) and particularly something containing Berberine, like Oregon Grape Root (caps) also as needed. Both are not needed every day, they are not like supplements, they are just useful to lean on the gut culture to coax it in a desirable direction. If your culture is generally healthy and you suffer bloat and gas as you say, the Oregon Grape Root or Bitter Mellon will probably help. The Wiki entries are pretty good for all of these.

OP
A

aquaman

thebigpeatowski said:
Do you do the carrot salad daily? How are your temps and pulse? Are you on thyroid medication? Transit time?...sorry to be so nosy :)

- on and off, never consistently
- temps hover around 97 most of the time, pulse 60bpm mostly
- i take NDT and some T3
- transit time without cascara is 2+ days

Thoughts?? :)

[quote="aquaman"
- on and off, never consistently
- temps hover around 97 most of the time, pulse 60bpm mostly
- i take NDT and some T3
- transit time without cascara is 2+ days

Thoughts?? :)[/quote]

My opinion is that 2+ days is a bit too long and your temps and pulse indicate a sluggish metabolism as well. Hypothyroidism causes slow transit time which allows for fermentation and can cause gas and bloating. Ideally, you would want to get your thyroid up and running and I think an 18 to 24 hour transit time is good. There are many enzymes that are more active at warmer temps. I personally feel better when my temp is just over barely 99. It takes time and patience to get there and lots of tweaking to keep it there.

Antibiotics might provide temporary relief or they might make matters worse and further throw you out of balance. Either way, the problem will return because the cure is rooted in a healthy metabolic rate.

There are comprehensive stool panel kits that you can send in to a lab, Metametrix is one, they test for abnormal flora. I kinda think they are a waste of time and money unless you have very extreme symptoms.

Certain foods personally cause me problems (potatoes), but ultimately you want to work on metabolism. :2cents

Oh, and one more thing...magnesium is often low in hypothyroid peeps, they have a difficult time retaining it. I have found that it also helps with transit time and overall well-being.

...adding lots of coconut oil too, it boosts temps, but add it slowly so your guts get used to it as it can speed up transit time too much!

I really have mixed views on antibiotics: I think they are waaay over used and cause intestinal imbalances, this is based only on my personal experience from being on them constantly as a child for chronic ear infections and as a teen for acne. However, they did apparently save my life when my appendix ruptured in 2010. I feel like my intestines have been out of whack for pretty much my entire life. I blame chronic over use of antibiotics and being bottle fed as an infant.

I have found the imbalance very difficult to permanently correct, but boosting thyroid meds slowly, a daily carrot salad, magnesium and coconut oil all help tremendously....antibiotics, not so much.

jitsmonkey

of all the peaty "supplements/meds" I've experimented with
nothing has been more powerful in improving digestive/elimination status and ALL that goes with that improvement
like Doxycycline. I'm 100% sure its not the same for everyone but for me its been a remedy for issues I've had for decades.
I absolutely wasn't served by all the warnings and dangers attached to them because I would have tried them many many years ago.

Light

of all the peaty "supplements/meds" I've experimented with
nothing has been more powerful in improving digestive/elimination status and ALL that goes with that improvement
like Doxycycline. I'm 100% sure its not the same for everyone but for me its been a remedy for issues I've had for decades.
I absolutely wasn't served by all the warnings and dangers attached to them because I would have tried them many many years ago.
Hmmm, i'm just looking into using cinnamon for its antibiotic effects, specifically anti-endotoxin,
since getting antibiotics from my doctor will be too much trouble, she's pretty careful with prescriptions in general.

It does give me hope to see that severe digestion issues can be resolved after a long time, Thank You :)

jitsmonkey

sure.
Like I said everyone's experience is different but I sure
as heck wish I'd have gotten my hands on some doxycycline decades ago.
I order it online I'm not interested in an ignoramus deciding what I should and shouldn't do.

Rivka

sure.
Like I said everyone's experience is different but I sure
as heck wish I'd have gotten my hands on some doxycycline decades ago.
I order it online I'm not interested in an ignoramus deciding what I should and shouldn't do.

Do you take Doxy daily and for how long if you don't mind sharing?

jitsmonkey

I will use it periodically now for 7-10 days at a time if I have reason (not very often)
I consistently take 100mg 1 - 2x a week.
I at one time used it 100-200 mg daily for several months.
I had zero negative effects
improvements in transit time, frequency, pulse, temp, drastic improvements in mood, anxiety, etc...

Had you told me 10 years ago I would have done this I would have
ridiculed you mercilessly about the fragility of your sanity.
but I'd have been the insane one.

Vinero

I will use it periodically now for 7-10 days at a time if I have reason (not very often)
improvements in transit time, frequency, pulse, temp, drastic improvements in mood, anxiety, etc...

I have similar experience with Doxycycline, have been taking 200 mg a day for 4 months now.
My health is better then ever. Zero health problems and side effects.
All of my previous health problems like dry skin, asthmatic symptoms etc have disappeared.

Light

I have similar experience with Doxycycline, have been taking 200 mg a day for 4 months now.
My health is better then ever. Zero health problems and side effects.
All of my previous health problems like dry skin, asthmatic symptoms etc have disappeared.
wow, that's great :)

Rivka

That's great thank you for sharing:)