Very new to Ray Peat

soliloquy72

Hello everyone,

I'm a 40-year-old homeschooling mom to 4 amazing kids. I've been interested in health ever since I can remember. Unfortunately, it led me to a low-fat diet in the 80s and 90s, excessive exercise (I used to run half and full marathons), and most recently the GAPS Diet and a paleo diet. I've learned a lot along the way but now I'm finding myself with low body temperature and 20 extra pounds that I can't seem to keep off for very long.

My two most pressing concerns are my husband and my 7-year-old son. My husband had severe aplastic anemia in 2006. That is gone and has not come back, thankfully, but he is now dealing with a bone marrow mutation (paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria) that causes chronic, hemolytic anemia. There is no official cure for it, other than a bone marrow transplant, but in some people it "just goes away." We have been told by hematologists that if his healthy bone marrow (which is only about 15% of the total) starts growing, it will push out the mutated marrow. So, that is why I am hopeful that perhaps this may be an important step for him.

My son has anxiety. I am absolutely against medication for him. We've tried very expensive supplements, the GAPS Diet, eliminating all sugar (even fruit), and a few therapies. So far, the diet and supplements have produced only short-term results. The best and most lasting results we've seen have been from cranial sacral therapy and minimizing screen time.

I'm looking forward to learning more from the members of this forum!

Mittir

Welcome to our forum.
Minimizing screen time helps with lowering blue light exposure.
Blue and ultra violet rays are bad for us.
One of the quickest and easiest way to improve health is to increase exposure to red light.
Here is a thread on all the info on light therapy.
viewtopic.php?p=394
Here is a basic introduction to Ray Peat's guideline
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

jaguar43

soliloquy72 said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a 40-year-old homeschooling mom to 4 amazing kids. I've been interested in health ever since I can remember. Unfortunately, it led me to a low-fat diet in the 80s and 90s, excessive exercise (I used to run half and full marathons), and most recently the GAPS Diet and a paleo diet. I've learned a lot along the way but now I'm finding myself with low body temperature and 20 extra pounds that I can't seem to keep off for very long.

My two most pressing concerns are my husband and my 7-year-old son. My husband had severe aplastic anemia in 2006. That is gone and has not come back, thankfully, but he is now dealing with a bone marrow mutation (paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria) that causes chronic, hemolytic anemia. There is no official cure for it, other than a bone marrow transplant, but in some people it "just goes away." We have been told by hematologists that if his healthy bone marrow (which is only about 15% of the total) starts growing, it will push out the mutated marrow. So, that is why I am hopeful that perhaps this may be an important step for him.

My son has anxiety. I am absolutely against medication for him. We've tried very expensive supplements, the GAPS Diet, eliminating all sugar (even fruit), and a few therapies. So far, the diet and supplements have produced only short-term results. The best and most lasting results we've seen have been from cranial sacral therapy and minimizing screen time.

I'm looking forward to learning more from the members of this forum!

Thomas H. McGavack's 1951 book, The Thyroid, was representative of the earlier approach to the study of thyroid physiology. Familiarity with the different effects of abnormal thyroid function under different conditions, at different ages, and the effects of gender, were standard parts of medical education that had disappeared by the end of the century. Arthritis, irregularities of growth, wasting, obesity, a variety of abnormalities of the hair and skin, carotenemia, amenorrhea, tendency to miscarry, infertility in males and females, insomnia or somnolence, emphysema, various heart diseases, psychosis, dementia, poor memory, anxiety, cold extremities, anemia, and many other problems were known reasons to suspect hypothyroidism. If the physician didn't have a device for measuring oxygen consumption, estimated calorie intake could provide supporting evidence. The Achilles' tendon reflex was another simple objective measurement with a very strong correlation to the basal metabolic rate. Skin electrical resistance, or whole body impedance wasn't widely accepted, though it had considerable scientific validity.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

Search anemia and anxiety into ray's peat's search engine. Do not rely on people to give you an interpretation of ray's work. Go to the source!

Jenn

For my son,the best thing for his anxiety and panic attacks is Oj and club soda or Mountain Dew throwback (his personal favorite) with some cream of tartar or coconut water. Speaking as a former "sugar is evil" mom. ;)

Dan Wich

Welcome, Lisa. I don't have any advice add, but I think the suggestions you've gotten so far will probably help. And I think Mittir's theory about the reduced screen time being linked to blue/UV light exposure is promising: lots of red light seems to have a strong effect on my mood/energy.