Very High Dopamine Content Of Banana Peels

paymanz

it was so interesting for me so i shared it

High content of dopamine, a strong antioxidant, in Cavendish banana. - PubMed - NCBI

A strong water-soluble antioxidant was identified in the popular commercial banana Musa cavendishii. It is dopamine, one of the catecholamines. For suppressing the oxygen uptake of linoleic acid in an emulsion and scavenging a diphenylpicrylhydrazyl radical, dopamine had greater antioxidative potency than glutathione, food additives such as butylated hydroxyanisole and hydroxytoluene, flavone luteolin, flavonol quercetin, and catechin, and similar potency to the strongest antioxidants gallocatechin gallate and ascorbic acid. Banana contained dopamine at high levels in both the peel and pulp. Dopamine levels ranged from 80-560 mg per 100 g in peel and 2.5-10 mg in pulp, even in ripened bananas ready to eat. Banana is thus one of the antioxidative foods.

Untitled.png

and from other source, banana peel has much lower serotonin content compared to its dopamine content,it just matches the serotonin content of pulp.while the dopamine content in peel is much higher than pulp.

Makrosky

Who is going to eat a banana peel no matter how much dopamine is in it??

It tastes very bad. It has lots of pesticides and chemicals. It probably isn't digestible at all. And probably have some kind of natural toxins from the plant itself. If banana peels were good they would have been eaten for a long time.

OP
P

paymanz

Who is going to eat a banana peel no matter how much dopamine is in it??

It tastes very bad. It has lots of pesticides and chemicals. It probably isn't digestible at all. And probably have some kind of natural toxins from the plant itself. If banana peels were good they would have been eaten for a long time.

well your points might be correct, but there is actually some recipe for banana peel on internet, one is banana peel tea.

bananas are least fruits in pesticide use, so probably it can be cleared from peel by scraping it with a knife.

it just need some experiment.for example one way can be scraping inner side of peel with a spoon so avoid most of tannins.

and one question is how stable is dopamine in high temperatures.

Makrosky

well your points might be correct, but there is actually some recipe for banana peel on internet, one is banana peel tea.

bananas are least fruits in pesticide use, so probably it can be cleared from peel by scraping it with a knife.

it just need some experiment.for example one way can be scraping inner side of peel with a spoon so avoid most of tannins.

and one question is how stable is dopamine in high temperatures.
Good points! I think it would be known already if it was worth it. But of course do the experiment and tell us!

If you want more dopamine l-tyrosine + a bit of b6 + a bit of vit C should do the trick. Shouldn't it ?

OP
P

paymanz

Good points! I think it would be known already if it was worth it. But of course do the experiment and tell us!

If you want more dopamine l-tyrosine + a bit of b6 + a bit of vit C should do the trick. Shouldn't it ?

i know some users here reported good result by tyrosine, but its not a peaty amino as much as i know.but you right there maybe much better options, no one ever used banana peels for this purpose.it might never give good result, but that big dopamine content is just tempting for me.

OP
P

paymanz

full text of the study:

Attachments

• kanazawa2000.pdf
    68.7 KB · Views: 111
Dopamine does not cross the blood–brain barrier :ss

Drareg

You could clean the inside like you said and then poach in some sugar,water and some alcohol like white wine.
Probably take a while like candied citrus peels which are very nice if dipped in more sugar once done.
You could then purée it and add it to an icecream mix.
Add some Tonka bean,contains coumarin,supposedly increases dopamine. You could give yourself a heart attack if you get it wrong though.

Who's willing to try it for science and all?

With 100 bananas (pulp) you could get enough dopa as a Mucuna Pruriens capsule...

OP
P

paymanz

You could clean the inside like you said and then poach in some sugar,water and some alcohol like white wine.
Probably take a while like candied citrus peels which are very nice if dipped in more sugar once done.
You could then purée it and add it to an icecream mix.
Add some Tonka bean,contains coumarin,supposedly increases dopamine. You could give yourself a heart attack if you get it wrong though.

Who's willing to try it for science and all?

hmm you think dopamine can withstand the temperature?

Drareg

hmm you think dopamine can withstand the temperature?

I don't know for sure but you could change air pressure so the molecules will vibrate at a lower temp. Maybe alcohol can extract it.

This smoking banana skins might not be an urban myth after all .......

Drareg

With 100 bananas (pulp) you could get enough dopa as a Mucuna Pruriens capsule...

There is a soylent styled recipe in here somehwhere. The tech startup groupies would love this.Only Side effect is a slight yellow tint to skin.

OP
P

paymanz

from study:
The peel contained dopamine at the 10 mg level, and
the antioxidative phytochemicals flavanone glycoside
naringin and flavonol glycoside rutin at the 10 mg level
per 100 g at all ripening stages. Banana, a tropical
plant, may protect itself from the oxidative stress caused
by strong sunshine and high temperature by producing
large amounts of antioxidants. A few milligrams of
dopamine existed in the pulp at the stage that it is
usually eaten. Dopamine has been found to protect
against intestinal mucosal injury by modulating eicosanoid
synthesis
(MacNaughton and Wallace, 1989;
Alanko et al., 1992). Banana may contribute to the
antiinflammation.
Dopamine is considered to be easily absorbed through
a dopamine transporter and used in the body
(Abi-
Dargham et al., 1998). Although dopamine plays important
roles as a nuerotransmitter and precursor for
norepinephrine and epinephrine, an accumulation of the
oxidized products of dopamine such as its quinone in
brain with age can cause neurocells to undergo apoptosis,
a process which is associated with Parkinson’s
disease (Luo et al., 1998; Cadet and Brannock, 1998).
It is a remaining question whether a few milligrams of
dopamine in pulp has a favorable or unfavorable effect
on human health.

so just by passing through gut it can have some beneficial effect.

other fact is dopamine's very short half life in plasma ,which is about 1-2 min.but there should be a terminal half life for sure,some of dopamin connect to dopamine receptor, but again i cant find any info of how long is that?

lindsay

Fun story - I have pet snails and I tried to feed them really really ripe plantain one time. One of them seemed to get stuck first in the plantain and then got caught upside down and wasn't moving, so I got really really concerned there was something in the plantain effecting the snail - poor little snaily looked like it was completely drunk from over ripe plantain. And then I had to wash its shell because it was covered in plantain slime.

That being said, I have a really really ripe organic banana on hand that I was planning to try and feed to the snails - I could try feeding the peel to my snails to test this banana peel theory :)

Back
Top Bottom