Very High Capsaicin Diet Increases Oxygen Comsumption And Decreases Lactic Acid In Mice

zarrin77

Treated animals were fed with this diet supplemented with 0.01% capsaicin.

TRPV1 activation improves exercise endurance and energy metabolism through PGC-1α upregulation in mice.

Abstract
Impaired aerobic exercise capacity and skeletal muscle dysfunction are associated with cardiometabolic diseases. Acute administration of capsaicin enhances exercise endurance in rodents, but the long-term effect of dietary capsaicin is unknown. The capsaicin receptor, the transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1) cation channel has been detected in skeletal muscle, the role of which remains unclear. Here we report the function of TRPV1 in cultured C2C12 myocytes and the effect of TRPV1 activation by dietary capsaicin on energy metabolism and exercise endurance of skeletal muscles in mice. In vitro, capsaicin increased cytosolic free calcium and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ coactivator-1α (PGC-1α) expression in C2C12 myotubes through activating TRPV1. In vivo, PGC-1α in skeletal muscle was upregulated by capsaicin-induced TRPV1 activation or genetic overexpression of TRPV1 in mice. TRPV1 activation increased the expression of genes involved in fatty acid oxidation and mitochondrial respiration, promoted mitochondrial biogenesis, increased oxidative fibers, enhanced exercise endurance and prevented high-fat diet-induced metabolic disorders. Importantly, these effects of capsaicin were absent in TRPV1-deficient mice. We conclude that TRPV1 activation by dietary capsaicin improves energy metabolism and exercise endurance by upregulating PGC-1α in skeletal muscles. The present results indicate a novel therapeutic strategy for managing metabolic diseases and improving exercise endurance.

See attached image for effect on oxygen consumption and lactic acid.

Also, important to notet that the “endurance benefits” took 3 months (for mice) to start showing [first image attached]. So, the benefits of capsacin (or even ginger, which also agonizes the TRPV1 receptor) may take quite a bit of time to start showing.

TRPV1 activation improves exercise endurance and energy metabolism through PGC-1α upregulation in mice

Attachments

• 31D85E1D-4430-4809-8D6C-B2ADFB2D52B0.jpeg
    31D85E1D-4430-4809-8D6C-B2ADFB2D52B0.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 32

Grapelander

Cayenne pepper is in the nightshade family (Solanaceae) ; and black pepper is in the Piperaceae family.
Just noting as there is a lot of discussion on black pepper and serotonin on the forum.

Sounds like capsaicin (cayenne pepper) is acting pro-thyroid. Good find!

Quelsatron

A few years back I made a chili stew following a recipie. Apparently my chili powder had to be a lot more powerful than what the chef used, because I was in physical pain while eating it and every night after eating of my huge pot of meat, I woke up several times in the night in a cold sweat and had all kinds of suffering. Point being, I doubt extreme capsaiscin supplementation is good for you unless there's a very strong adaptation response after making a habit of it

A few years back I made a chili stew following a recipie. Apparently my chili powder had to be a lot more powerful than what the chef used, because I was in physical pain while eating it and every night after eating of my huge pot of meat, I woke up several times in the night in a cold sweat and had all kinds of suffering. Point being, I doubt extreme capsaiscin supplementation is good for you unless there's a very strong adaptation response after making a habit of it
dose makes the poison?

0.01% of mouse diet is a way to much in HED.
Average mouse eats 3-5 grams of chow. Means 30-50mg of capsaicin. Let's say 30mg. 30mg per mouse translates to 1000mg/kg if we say average mouse is 30grams. HED is 81.08mg/kg total dose is 7297mg of pure capsaicin for 90kg person. 6.6mg of capsaicin equals 100000 scolville units. So total human dose is 110500000 scolville units. Be my guest to eat this amount of capsaicin in one day. I would pay to see someone eating this last in his life meal. It's like eating 20 pepper sprays lol.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Not 1%, 0.01%.

So you need to multiply 3 grams of food x 0.0001 = 0.0003 g of capsaicin, or 0.3 mg of capsaicin in food per day.

So, 0.3 mg cap / 0.03 kg mouse = 10 mg cap / kg mouse. => 10 * 0.081 mg / kg = 0.81 mg capsaicin / kg human

I weight 91 kg.

So, 91 kg x (0.81 mg capsaicin / kg) = 73.71 mg of capsiacin per day.

3g regular cayenne = 7.6 mg capsaicin (from another study I archived a while ago)

Thus, around 29 g of regular cayanne a day for a larger person. (I weigh just over 200 lbs)

Still quite high, but not impossible. 10g a day is easy to achieve for me, and likely will still have some effect. Most human studies use 1-3 g, and of course the results are no where near the rodent studies.

LLight

Not 1%, 0.01%.

So you need to multiply 3 grams of food x 0.0001 = 0.0003 g of capsaicin, or 0.3 mg of capsaicin in food per day.

So, 0.3 mg cap / 0.03 kg mouse = 10 mg cap / kg mouse. => 10 * 0.081 mg / kg = 0.81 mg capsaicin / kg human

I weight 91 kg.

So, 91 kg x (0.81 mg capsaicin / kg) = 73.71 mg of capsiacin per day.

3g regular cayenne = 7.6 mg capsaicin (from another study I archived a while ago)

Thus, around 29 g of regular cayanne a day for a larger person. (I weigh just over 200 lbs)

Still quite high, but not impossible. 10g a day is easy to achieve for me, and likely will still have some effect. Most human studies use 1-3 g, and of course the results are no where near the rodent studies.
My bad.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals