Very High Blood Sugar. How To Correct It? How Long Does It Take?

dez

Hi all

in your experience, how long does it take to see blood glucose levels stabilizing or reducing using RP methods
i have been following his advice for a month now
thanks
dez

Mittir

It depends on lots of things, specially what version of diet you are following.
I saw huge improvement after giving up starch. I only using OJ, fruit juice,
honey, sugar, lactose as carbohydrate source.I am also following all other
RP suggestions like raw carrot salad, weekly liver and sea food, gelatin etc.
It would be easier for people to understand if you give a description of your daily diet.

OP
D

dez

Mittir said:
It depends on lots of things, specially what version of diet you are following.
I saw huge improvement after giving up starch. I only using OJ, fruit juice,
honey, sugar, lactose as carbohydrate source.I am also following all other
RP suggestions like raw carrot salad, weekly liver and sea food, gelatin etc.
It would be easier for people to understand if you give a description of your daily diet.

i basically have the following daily
oats with milk
oj 2 litre
milk 2 litre
cheese portions throughout the day with my oj
liver 1x a week
cottage cheese
prawns 1x week
gelatin daily 2x with coffee
asprin 300mg 3x daily
sodium bicarbonate with asprin
k2
magnesium 500mg daily
no veg except daily carrot
water melon
ox tail soup homemade
beef
coconut oil for all cooking and added to coffee plus sugar
added salt to my meals
fish 1x week
eggs most days (organic)
sweet potatoes 1x a week with tuna and homemade mayo with coconut oil
water maybe 2l per day
hargendaaz ice cream vanilla 3-4 times a week at night
lychees 2-3 x a week
1x a week meat carvery and veg ( well cooked veg soft) avoiding greens so basically carrots, swede, potatoes roasted) - only 1x a week
1-2 l carbonated water daily

fresh oj as well as carton smooth without bits oj
i also walk 3-5 miles per day daily
weight train 2x a week

no nuts
no vegetable oils
no soya
no cereals (oats exception)

thats basically what i am having and have had for the past month and the milk and oj keep me full and i am steadily losing weight at 1-2 lbs per week

just started on armour thyroid 30mg per day

pulse steady 70-85 bpm
temp 107deg f

thanks in advance of any advice or tweaks / suggestions

Mittir

Did you mean temp at 97 F?
Your diet looks really good.
RP does not recommend Armour anymore.He thinks
their quality has decreased after they changed their formula.
Now he recommends cynomel,cytomel, cynomel plus. thyrolar etc.
There is a thread on thyroid med and you can get lots of info from there.
What is your TSH?
Hypothyroid people tend to have problem with excess fluid.
You may experiment with lowering fluid intake or increasing salt
to match that.
Water melon can be full of starch if it not fully ripe.
He does not really recommend commercial supplementation except for few.
He strongly recommends using natural vitamin E 200 IU daily.
What kind of magnesium supplement you are using?
Is your blood glucose better than before on this diet?

OP
D

dez

Hi Mitr

thanks for the quick reply
body temp 98-102 ( glasses oops)
my tsh hasnt been recorded recently as my Dr said it was normal !!!!!!!but doing the Achilles tendon reflex test , i have no reaction at all.
i have started increasing salt daily now

re my blood glucose levels they are as follows

my blood glucose has reached as high as 30 mmol/L (UK) which is 540 mmol/L (usa)

obviously all the sugar and oj will artificially keep my bs high.

i am thinking of having no sugar for a day or so to see what my real y bs levels are

i use magnesium citrate

will get vit e

dez

Jenn

Lack of potassium can cause high blood sugar because it is not getting into the cells. Eating protein without enough sugar can cause a spike in blood sugar. The problem in diabetes is not actually high blood sugar but that fact that the body is not using it well or retaining it. Make sure you are getting enough carbs and gelatin. Look at a glass of milk for proportions of fat to protein to sugar.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml

Mittir

Blood sugar level of 540 is really high. It seems your condition is quite advanced.
Replacing starch with sugar supposed to lower your blood sugar.
It is possible you are eating more calories and carb than you need.
You want to have a steady blood sugar , not too high or not too low,
by eating small meals through out the day. Meals should be mix of
carb, protein and fat. You need to count your calories.
Try to get a carb ratio of 33 to 50 percent.
You can not eat more than you can metabolize.
You can find out your caloric requirements using
online calculator. RP uses 2% milk to limit his caloric input.
cronometer.com has software that counts calorie.
This site has nutrition data for all kind of foods.
nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned
Excess iron can be a cause of diabetes.
Studies showed people who donate blood has better
glucose control. You can talk to your doctor and find out
your total Ferritin level and Transferrin Saturation index.
Lowering iron level can improve blood sugar control.

onioneyedox

Just as a remark, I personally have felt that oats was even worse than wheat for me. Always seemed got horribly itch from them. Even the from the gluten free ones. And to think that I was basicly addicted to a oat bread.

You might be ok with them, but I just wanted to point them out as many are so customed to eating oats. Not meant to be fear mongering.

Jenn

Oat bran is carcinogenic, so if I use oats, I get the quick oats, yeah the highly processed kind.<L> I don't eat oatmeal, but occasionally use for baking....and still try to keep them to a minimum. They don't have a whole lot of nutritional/mineral value, at least grown in this country. They aren't even very good for feeding producing animals, which can get more out of them than we can.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

OP
D

dez

Jenn said:
Lack of potassium can cause high blood sugar because it is not getting into the cells. Eating protein without enough sugar can cause a spike in blood sugar. The problem in diabetes is not actually high blood sugar but that fact that the body is not using it well or retaining it. Make sure you are getting enough carbs and gelatin. Look at a glass of milk for proportions of fat to protein to sugar.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml

Hi Jenn
thanks for the reply

as far a si know i am following the rp guidelines, plenty of oj with protein, plenty of gelatin and plenty of milk (skimmed) !!!

OP
D

dez

Jenn said:
Oat bran is carcinogenic, so if I use oats, I get the quick oats, yeah the highly processed kind.<L> I don't eat oatmeal, but occasionally use for baking....and still try to keep them to a minimum. They don't have a whole lot of nutritional/mineral value, at least grown in this country. They aren't even very good for feeding producing animals, which can get more out of them than we can.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

Jenn
what do you have for breakfast- i am looking for ideas if oats are not a good choice.

and you can only have so many eggs b4 getting bored

eggs and oj that is

Jenn

Breakfast is my largest meal of the day. I tend to need a light snack (glass of OJ, coffee, etc) about an hour before to stimulate the appetite, then I like a good steak.;) I feel best eating dinner for breakfast and lunch, then dessert/snacks for the rest of the day. Some days we just eat homemade french fries all day long though.

Dutchie

Jenn said:
Breakfast is my largest meal of the day. I tend to need a light snack (glass of OJ, coffee, etc) about an hour before to stimulate the appetite, then I like a good steak.;) I feel best eating dinner for breakfast and lunch, then dessert/snacks for the rest of the day. Some days we just eat homemade french fries all day long though.

Don't you feel weird mentally eating steak,fries and such for breakfast?
I don't know what feels like normal to me anymore in regards to mealtiming,what 'feels' like a meal etc.......but kudos to you for having no struggles with your eating pattern&way of eating.

Swandattur

I detected some starch in that diet rundown. You should try cutting out the potato and the oats. Try absolutely no starch. I notice if I eat a starchy food, it's two or three days before my blood sugars come down again.

Swandattur

As Mittir said, lots of small meals would be best, so your body doesn't get more than it can handle at a time. You really need to cut out ALL starch. I was experimenting with bamboo shoots and I saw my blood sugar went high for what it had been being. Also, I was getting awful insomnia. Then I realized bamboo shoots have starch. I checked with iodine. I think it was either the starch in those or my body had a problem with them in some way, because after cutting them out and going back to raw carrot, things settled down. If your blood sugars don't lower considerably after trying NO starch for a five or six days, I think you should contact Ray Peat.

Jenn

Dutchie said:
Jenn said:

Don't you feel weird mentally eating steak,fries and such for breakfast?
I don't know what feels like normal to me anymore in regards to mealtiming,what 'feels' like a meal etc.......but kudos to you for having no struggles with your eating pattern&way of eating.

Your taking to someone who YEARS ago used to think a bowl of frozen peas or corn was a complete meal. :shock:

Digestive issues and lack of funds throw food rules out the window pretty fast. We ate what was cheap (potatoes) and what was in the freezer (steak). I have better cash flow and better digestion now, so more flexibility with diet.

saul42

My blood sugar readings roughly 3 months ago, fasting was 290 and my HB1ac was 12.9.

I was dam skeptical of using sugar to help with sugar problems though i always used it for wounds. Whenver I had a cut or gash I always put a bit of sugar and aloe vera together and it would heal very nicely and by the way sugar acted like a pain killer, it would dull the pain. I should have inferred from this that sugar (honey) would be good.

So here are my results

I have eaten huge amounts of saturated fat with no problems. I have drunk grass fed raw milk and pasteurized milk with no big difference but you need to look for the brand that tastes good. I make sure that it has no RBST or antibodies in it. I will accept Vit D but no vit A. I will go over my diet in detail shortly

3 months later fasting blood sugar at doctors office was 114, when i check on the meter its 120-140 (meter has an error of 15-20 points), sometimes reading drops to 106.00
HB1ac dropped from 12.9 to 6.7

while things are not perfect they are much better and all with no medications.

My Diet
1-2 litres regular milk
orange juice when i can get but sometimes I drink it sometimes I don't. You can get a lot of potassium from potatoes, drinking milk, a bit form supplementing with potassium citrate tablets.
Farmers cheese, up to 500 grams a day. I eat farmers cheese with sour cream (make sure that both have no additives) and use a lot of honey to mix the farmers cheese and sour cream up.
I also eat several eggs a day but recently cut down on them because I am not overseas where i could free range eggs where the chickens ate no grains.
Most of my protein is via milk and farmer cheese. but I have soups where i boil the bones and eat the meat of the bones and drink the broth. Use mostly potatoes and greens just for taste in the soup

My temp and pulse rate have gone up as a result of eating sugar. Now its roughly 97 and my pulse can be as high as 102.00 but ranges in the 90-99 ranges. it used to be in the 70-75 ranges.

I also take some Gelatin supplements
and the following supplements
500mg Aspirin twice a day with baking Soda
A little Vit E
Niacinamide to help with free fatty acids
N Acetyly cysteine
Take at leat 2 TBSP a day of coconut oil
Don't drink too much OJ because for some reason it produces a huge spike in my readings. I am talking about pulp free juice. So I am taking it in moderation.
Raw carrot every day.

I have found that potatoes are actually good for you and a good form of starch. however you must eat it with a lot of butter or sour cream and salt based on how much you can handle. If eaten this way my sugar readings actually improve. I also walk (brisk pace but not enough to make me breathe out of my mouth) for 30-55 min morning and in the evening.

I have also found out that it is important to eat before you sleep if you want stable blood sugar readings.

While I am happy with my readings I would like to improve them and so far they are stuck at this range. What can i do to get them down to the 100 ranges. I saw Ray stating somewhere that 140 readings were not bad. I actually ran into several people overseas who had readings of 140-145 for years and took no medications, ate what they wanted and 20-30 years later they are still in good health. What they all had in common was a lack of PUFA from their diet.

My questions are

1) is it okay to have a reading of 130-140
2) What can i do to lower it as before all this PUFA crap my readings a few years ago was in the 100-102 ranges.
3) I am already consuming up to 7 and maybe Teaspoons of honey a day, lots of fruits (watermelon, melon, ripe peaches, ripe plums), in addition to the sugar i use in my coffee and all the milk I drink. Should i take more, so far i have noticed that despite increasing my intake of sugar basically 400% or more from what i used to consume my readings have dropped over 60%

I would like to have normal readings again as until 2010, everything was normal and then suddenly from 2011 things started to go out of sync but things really went out of control in 2013.

I am sure i still get some PUFA's from milk, eggs, etc but I do not consume any seed oils. Any suggestions on how I can improve things.

Its definitly a fact though that sugar is not the culprit and my results are proof of that. I am not taking any thyroid supplements or pregenoline yet.

J

j.

I'm not diabetic, but I feel like I can eat more sugar when I consume it from fruits, maybe because the potassium and fructose in fruits helps the body process sugars. So I would suggest to try increasing it by eating more orange juice instead of just sucrose.

Mittir

RP has said that bright red light( He uses 500 watts of incandescent heat lamps)after sunset helps with lowering cortisol and cortisol is the main reason for early morning high fasting glucose. He also commented that having some
red light shinning on the feet during sleep can help with regulating cortisol and blood sugar.
There is a nice thread on light therapy . Use of bright light can increase need for vitamin A and liver is a very rich source of vitamin A. He recommends 3-6 oz of liver every week.

J

j.

Mittir said:
He also commented that having some red light shinning on the feet during sleep can help with regulating cortisol and blood sugar.
He also said that when he tried doing that he didn't like it.