Vegetarian That Needs Help

CDT

Been a vegetarian for nearly 4 years, and for some reason, I am just now experiencing issues with extreme fatigue, which I am starting to narrow down to a form of adrenal fatigue, or perhaps even thyroid fatigue. Is there anything that I can do in terms of diet and exercise protocols to mitigate and solve the issue? Thank in advance for your response.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Do you eat a lot of fruit?

Runenight201

Been a vegetarian for nearly 4 years, and for some reason, I am just now experiencing issues with extreme fatigue, which I am starting to narrow down to a form of adrenal fatigue, or perhaps even thyroid fatigue. Is there anything that I can do in terms of diet and exercise protocols to mitigate and solve the issue? Thank in advance for your response.

My recommendation would be to try a Matt Stone style refeed of whatever the hell you crave, and then start adjusting from there.

At the least go out and eat whatever the hell type of meat you’ve been subconsciously craving but have been avoiding due to your vegetarian position.

OP
C

CDT

How so? Any research basis? I've studies the carnivore diet, but am not sure if I want to go that route...

OP
C

CDT

My recommendation would be to try a Matt Stone style refeed of whatever the hell you crave, and then start adjusting from there.

At the least go out and eat whatever the hell type of meat you’ve been subconsciously craving but have been avoiding due to your vegetarian position.
Thanks night. Didn't you say you are vegetarian at times? Curious as to what you would think would be sustainable...

Runenight201

Thanks night. Didn't you say you are vegetarian at times? Curious as to what you would think would be sustainable...

I’ve been them all, and I’ve personally found an omnivorous diet to be the best, although I’m careful about how I prepare my food to minimize endotoxin and maximize digestibility.

In my opinion an omnivorous diet is the most sustainable, and finding foods that you enjoy, digest well, and give good energy ensures long term dietary success.

Please do not do the carnivore diet.

I’m careful about which meats I consume, and as of late I can’t stand lean meats. I’ve been enjoying fatty ham and chicken drum sticks as of late. I do want to try out lean chicken with gravy though and see how that turns out.

I go by cravings, if my body wants it, I eat it. If I have a bad response, I note it, update, and move on with life. I make mistakes, but I keep experimenting, and progressing towards what I believe to be an optimal diet for me.

RisingSun

I’ve been them all, and I’ve personally found an omnivorous diet to be the best, although I’m careful about how I prepare my food to minimize endotoxin and maximize digestibility.

In my opinion an omnivorous diet is the most sustainable, and finding foods that you enjoy, digest well, and give good energy ensures long term dietary success.

I’m careful about which meats I consume, and as of late I can’t stand lean meats. I’ve been enjoying fatty ham and chicken drum sticks as of late. I do want to try out lean chicken with gravy though and see how that turns out.

I go by cravings, if my body wants it, I eat it. If I have a bad response, I note it, update, and move on with life. I make mistakes, but I keep experimenting, and progressing towards what I believe to be an optimal diet for me.

Great philosophy.

What is your opinion on « irrational » cravings? I crave Mcdonald’s and Wendy’s all the time, but it’s been at least 5 years that I refrain from any fast food, because it’s commonly accepted it’s bad, although in detail I don’t know why (aside from the gluten in buns and the origin of the meat, I don’t see any obvious problems).

Would you give in to such craving?

Runenight201

Great philosophy.

What is your opinion on « irrational » cravings? I crave Mcdonald’s and Wendy’s all the time, but it’s been at least 5 years that I refrain from any fast food, because it’s commonly accepted it’s bad, although in detail I don’t know why (aside from the gluten in buns and the origin of the meat, I don’t see any obvious problems).

Would you give in to such craving?

When I’m out and about McDonald’s has been my go to restaurant to eat at when I’m caught in a situation where I need to eat but I’m away from my prepared food. I usually order McDoubles with fruit juice to drink, and am well satisfied. I think the French fries are a trap, but the burgers from my understanding are just meat, cheese, and bread, not fried in PUFA or anything.

I think with irrational food cravings one has to be honest and really pay attention to your body post consumption. For instance I enjoyed in the moment of eating 3 McDoubles, but afterwards I felt nauseous, so that let me know that food isn’t ideal in that quantity. Food may taste good during the eating event, but if negative symptoms arise post food consumption, then that has to be noted, and investigated as to what specifically was the cause of it. Negative symptoms could be nausea, inflammation, low energy, congestion, allergies, etc... if nothing arises, and one feels energized, then I personally view that meal as a good one. Awareness, reflection, and introspection are key, and are the most valuable traits I believe everyone should cultivate.

In general I try and align cravings with food I can prepare, and when I crave outside food, I run the mental exercise of seeing if there are homemade foods that I really want. Take McDonald’s, if I craved it, it might mean I just need some meat, fat, and sugar. I could get all this through some home made ground beef tacos with cheese, salsa, and oj. This would be my ideal. If I can’t quite make the match with my homemade food or I’m out and about, yes I just go and eat what I want.

OP
C

CDT

Sounds awesome! Been vegetarian for nearly 4 years, and never had issues with fatigue. Unfortunately, that was primarily because most of the food was provided to me (my mom cooked a lot, and I went to West Point for to years, where we literally get served limitless amounts of food buffet style). Now that I am relatively on my own in college, I'm finding it more important to source nutrient dense foods as a vegetarian.

RisingSun

When I’m out and about McDonald’s has been my go to restaurant to eat at when I’m caught in a situation where I need to eat but I’m away from my prepared food. I usually order McDoubles with fruit juice to drink, and am well satisfied. I think the French fries are a trap, but the burgers from my understanding are just meat, cheese, and bread, not fried in PUFA or anything.

I think with irrational food cravings one has to be honest and really pay attention to your body post consumption. For instance I enjoyed in the moment of eating 3 McDoubles, but afterwards I felt nauseous, so that let me know that food isn’t ideal in that quantity. Food may taste good during the eating event, but if negative symptoms arise post food consumption, then that has to be noted, and investigated as to what specifically was the cause of it. Negative symptoms could be nausea, inflammation, low energy, congestion, allergies, etc... if nothing arises, and one feels energized, then I personally view that meal as a good one. Awareness, reflection, and introspection are key, and are the most valuable traits I believe everyone should cultivate.

In general I try and align cravings with food I can prepare, and when I crave outside food, I run the mental exercise of seeing if there are homemade foods that I really want. Take McDonald’s, if I craved it, it might mean I just need some meat, fat, and sugar. I could get all this through some home made ground beef tacos with cheese, salsa, and oj. This would be my ideal. If I can’t quite make the match with my homemade food or I’m out and about, yes I just go and eat what I want.

You are right. I need to start taking notes on how I feel after every meal, that’s the only way to be seriously tracking reactions

Runenight201

Sounds awesome! Been vegetarian for nearly 4 years, and never had issues with fatigue. Unfortunately, that was primarily because most of the food was provided to me (my mom cooked a lot, and I went to West Point for to years, where we literally get served limitless amounts of food buffet style). Now that I am relatively on my own in college, I'm finding it more important to source nutrient dense foods as a vegetarian.

Yea its usually right around college when people start degenerating, because they no longer have home cooked meals provided for them and people tend to start engaging in bad habits (drinking/partying, neglecting sleep, overly stressing themselves out, poor diet, etc...)

Well eggs and dairy should be a large part of your diet for sure. Lots of fruit, oj, etc..., soups are an awesome way to take in nutrition in my opinion. The one thing I wish I had access to is hearty soups 24/7. Soup is so time consuming to make, but I always feel immense well-being from eating them.

And uh...seriously just give whatever meat you may be craving a go, it could really help with your fatigue. Don’t be afraid of sugar, and above all cultivate a reflective temperament.

LucH

Been a vegetarian for nearly 4 years, and for some reason, I am just now experiencing issues with extreme fatigue, which I am starting to narrow down to a form of adrenal fatigue, or perhaps even thyroid fatigue. Is there anything that I can do in terms of diet and exercise protocols to mitigate and solve the issue?
If you don't eat meat, you'll need zink.
Miss Se and I for thyroid, and probably Mg. All needed for proper thyroid function.
I in alga. Se in fish and Amazonia nuts.
Also blood test for Fe and TSH required (with free T3).
Hope it will help.
LucH
Note: No supplement with high folic acid. Mind B12

Waremu

If you don't eat meat, you'll need zink.
Miss Se and I for thyroid, and probably Mg. All needed for proper thyroid function.
I in alga. Se in fish and Amazonia nuts.
Also blood test for Fe and TSH required (with free T3).
Hope it will help.
LucH
Note: No supplement with high folic acid. Mind B12

I definitely think zinc is one of the biggest things people miss when they go vegan or vegetarian. So many of my health issues were resolved or improved when I began focusing on high zinc foods. I was vegetarian for a while in my younger years so my body was likely very depleted of zinc. If someone eats a lot of dairy they probably could get by on getting enough zinc on a truly vegetarian diet of no meat, but I find that even with my high raw dairy diet I still need oysters once or twice a week for extra zinc. Very noticeable when I start to go more than a week without enough zinc.

LucH

I find that even with my high raw dairy diet I still need oysters once or twice a week for extra zinc. Very noticeable when I start to go more than a week without enough zinc.
Ok but don't eat cheese nor drink milk with oysters. More than 40 gr Ca interfere with zink absorption, as well Fe too.
one hour before or 2 hours after milk / cheese, it's ok.

Waremu

Ok but don't eat cheese nor drink milk with oysters. More than 40 gr Ca interfere with zink absorption, as well Fe too.
one hour before or 2 hours after milk / cheese, it's ok.

This brought up a couple times in the forum, but it was shown that calcium shouldn’t be an issue for zinc absorption. One study that was posted showed that zinc absorption from dairy is affected to some degree, but then the body adjusts to that and urban isn’t an issue. I’ll try to find the study. There were a few other studies that showed calcium from diary not to be an issue. Chris Masterjohn mentioned this as well. Actually, I believe he refered that study as well so you should be able to find it on his website blog too.

Last edited:

LucH

This brought up a couple times in the forum, but it was shown that calcium shouldn’t be an issue for zinc absorption. One study that was posted showed that zinc absorption from dairy is affected to some degree, but then the body adjusts to that and urban isn’t an issue. I’ll try to find the study. There were a few other studies that showed calcium from diary not to be an issue. Chris Masterjohn mentioned this as well. Actually, I believe he refered that study as well so you should be able to find it on his website blog too.
Yes, I've read those "assertions". Alright for most people but not if you're borderline. If some people are in deficit, they should then optimize their uptake. More than 40 mg ca interfere with Zn and Fe absorption, but probably not in healthy bodies (adaptation).
Separate then a supplement for optimized absorption. Nothing else than logics.

Last edited:

Waremu

Yes, I've read those "assertions". Alright for most people but not if you're borderline. If some people are in deficit, they should then optimize their uptake. More than 40 mg ca interfere with Zn and Fe absorption, but probably not in healthy bodies (adaptation).
Separate then a supplement for optimized absorption. Nothing else than logics.

Yeah, but thats too subjective for most people unless they get labs done and have very noticeable signs of low zinc/zinc deficiency. If someone is concerned about it that much and want to see if diary works for them as a zinc source, then they can get some lab work done to test their zinc levels and other markers, etc. But I am not convinced calcium is a huge problem because growing babies get their zinc mainly from milk and growing babies bodies have a pretty high demand for zinc, and if the calcium was such an issue for zinc absorption it would probably have caused issues with babies ability to grow at a healthy rate. I was a vegan for a few years and then went vegetarian and got my zinc levels up with raw dairy alone, so it worked for me and I am pretty sure I was deficient because my labs showed it at the time and I had some of the symptoms as well. But yes, I do think it would be smart to be safe and get some oysters or whatever in at least once or so per day for some time, at the very least, to ensure adequate zinc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals