Vegetarian Boys Are 1 Inch Taller Than Meat-eaters

Discussion in 'Dairy' started by lvysaur, Aug 7, 2019.

1. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

Attained height of lacto-ovo vegetarian children and adolescents. - PubMed - NCBI
    The "adjusted for other food groups" part seems vague, but I assume it means they controlled for vegetarians eating more fruit or starch or dairy and the height differential still persisted? Anyway, an interesting result.

2. rawmeat

rawmeat Member

it's the milk

3. postman

postman Member

They should control for vaccination

4. lampofred

lampofred Member

Meat fat has estrogens which lower height.

Full fat dairy has it too (although it also has a lot of progesterone). Now I understand why Dr. Peat recommends 1%. Enough fat for good digestion without unnecessary estrogen intake.

5. Kammas

Kammas Member

more likely the calcium. large dairy consumption tends to create the long slender look with long ish legs.

6. inurendotoxin

inurendotoxin Member

7. Summer

Summer New Member

Given the date of this study, my guess would be that the meat that the children were consuming was grain-fed, likely not organic. Even with all of the phytotoxins in vegetables, the Adventist children were probably getting more minerals and nutrients than the kids eating a conventional diet.

8. LucyL

LucyL Member

It is well known that dogs neutered early (before about 6 months) grow taller than there intact counterparts. Perhaps the extra growth is not a generalized positive.

9. Sheik

Sheik Member

If I'd have known this I would have eaten tons of meat.

10. teds

teds Member

Are you referring to industrial meat or just meat in general..?

11. Orion3821

Orion3821 Member

It's the eggs and milk. We have a difficult time digesting cellulose.

12. rei

rei Member

Coincidence, the study was not designed to state anything else about the reasons for the result.

Animal protein effect on length is well-studied and positive. Especially milk is good for growth.

Wheat prevails in Muslim countries in North Africa and the Near East, which is where we also observe the highest plant protein consumption in the world and moderately tall statures that do not exceed 174 cm. In taller nations, the intake of protein and energy no longer fundamentally rises, but the consumption of plant proteins markedly decreases at the expense of animal proteins, especially those from dairy. Their highest consumption rates can be found in Northern and Central Europe, with the global peak of male height in the Netherlands (184 cm). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570677X16300065

13. yerrag

yerrag Member

I've observed this with the koi I keep. Not so much the superiority of plant-based protein over animal-based protein, but the superiority of minimizing waste of metabolic energy over the misguided focus on high protein consumption.

When we feed our pets, we often consider high protein to be a key factor. But at least for my koi, I've been feeding only 0.5% of their weight daily, and this flies in the face of 'expert' recommendations in the koi hobby industry that recommend as high as 3%. But my koi can easily attain sizes ranging from 80 cm to 97 cm, and show excellent body conformation.

I find that it's very important to provide conditions that minimize their exposure to stress. One key stress factor is bacteria in the water, for example. The bacteria is invisible to us, and we can be deceived into thinking crystal clear water means very clean water, but a poorly-tended pond, with plenty of wastes, especially at the pond and/or filter bottom, is a hot spot for bacterial infestation. When the koi has to use its energy to ward off the ever-present and ever-high bacterial concentration in pond water, they don't grow well, and if they grow, they don't develop beautiful skin. The stress of fighting bacteria robs them of their growth and other areas of development.

I can see the relevance of this and apply this lesson to my own health. I could probably relate this to why the lacto-ovo vegetarian kids grow at a faster pace. Perhaps it is that they eat food that doesn't present too much of an acidic load to the body. Energy used by the lungs and the kidneys to compensate for an acidic load could be an energy sink, and this is energy that would otherwise have been directed towards growing.

Add: Having an optimal pH means a lot. If the ecf is too acidic, it can also lower immunity. With lowered immunity, one easily gets sick. So instead of building and developing, one has to use his energy in healing and recovering. Over years, each incident adds up towards robbing the body of building and developing - and growing.