Vegan Friendly Ray Peat Soup

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Such_Umami, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Such_Umami

Such_Umami Member

I really enjoy making this soup, it's absolutley delicious with a kind of thai taste. It's got plenty of zinc and calcium thanks to the squash, pak choi, peas and shiitake mushrooms. It is also very low in oxalates which I found a difficult thing to have in addition to all these nutrients. I also get all my fat from this soup. It has plenty of vitamin e thanks to the squash so the only things you really need to supplement is vitamin D (unless it's sunny where you live), selenium, b12 and iodine.

Here are the ingredients:

https://i.imgur.com/X0xEa7E.png

To make it is simple, just cut them up and throw them in a pot and boil it up. I also add a vegetable stock and some ginger, pepper and a hot powder. I left out salt because I think you should add it to taste.

Here's a nutritional breakdown:

https://i.imgur.com/6on9J1w.png

After this, I just eat fruit and have a pea protein powder which seems to cover everything.

2. Korven

Korven Member

Looks very tasty, thanks for sharing the recipe! Butternut squash/pumpkin is a fantastic food, it's got tons of calcium and other vitamins and minerals + it's actually a fruit.

I make something similar but also add in pre-soaked lentils (for 12-24 hours) as it's low PUFA and got a good amount of B1, folate, zinc, protein, molybdenum etc. Batch cooking a giant lentil soup and having it for lunch and dinner every day also makes life a lot easier as I don't have to spend all my time in the kitchen. I often have it with oven roasted potatoes and some olive oil.

Btw how does pea protein digest for you? I'm thinking about buying some and adding to smoothies.

3. OP
    Such_Umami

Such_Umami Member

I find pea protein very good. I used to have lentils but I think they caused some bowel irritation and I know they're quite high in oxalates. My protein powder is pea based also. Peas are very high in zinc which was one of the minerals I found harder to source foods for.

4. Gone Peating

Gone Peating Member

Only potential issue with consuming a large amount of peas is that it is high in iron

5. boris

boris Member

Is Pak Choi goitrogenic? I remember I ate something similar to it (similar amounts too, about a pound) in a broth daily for some weeks and it caused problems for me in the long run.

6. OP
    Such_Umami

Such_Umami Member

7. Gone Peating

Gone Peating Member

Yea I’m being petty the iron probably isn’t a big deal tbh

8. OP
    Such_Umami

Such_Umami Member

I tried to make a reply about the goitrogens, I realised my reply wasn't scientific enough and so I tried to delete it but I realised that I couldn't so I just edited it to say moo.

9. boris

boris Member

I think goitrogens are mostly an issue when eating raw cabbage/pak choi. Cooking should eliminate some or even most[?] of the effect, but I‘m not sure how daily consumption would play out in the long run.

Did you notice any negative effects?

10. Gone Peating

Gone Peating Member

Do you just throw everything in boiling water? How long do you cook for?

11. OP
    Such_Umami

Such_Umami Member

Yes. I cook until the butternut squash is nice and soft, or after. It doesn't matter. I tend to add rice now and spread it out over a few days and cook it several times. It's very easy as long as you don't overboil it and the water comes out, you're fine.