Vegan Friendly Ray Peat Soup

Such_Umami

I really enjoy making this soup, it's absolutley delicious with a kind of thai taste. It's got plenty of zinc and calcium thanks to the squash, pak choi, peas and shiitake mushrooms. It is also very low in oxalates which I found a difficult thing to have in addition to all these nutrients. I also get all my fat from this soup. It has plenty of vitamin e thanks to the squash so the only things you really need to supplement is vitamin D (unless it's sunny where you live), selenium, b12 and iodine.

Here are the ingredients:

https://i.imgur.com/X0xEa7E.png

To make it is simple, just cut them up and throw them in a pot and boil it up. I also add a vegetable stock and some ginger, pepper and a hot powder. I left out salt because I think you should add it to taste.

Here's a nutritional breakdown:

https://i.imgur.com/6on9J1w.png

After this, I just eat fruit and have a pea protein powder which seems to cover everything.

Last edited:

Korven

Looks very tasty, thanks for sharing the recipe! Butternut squash/pumpkin is a fantastic food, it's got tons of calcium and other vitamins and minerals + it's actually a fruit.

I make something similar but also add in pre-soaked lentils (for 12-24 hours) as it's low PUFA and got a good amount of B1, folate, zinc, protein, molybdenum etc. Batch cooking a giant lentil soup and having it for lunch and dinner every day also makes life a lot easier as I don't have to spend all my time in the kitchen. I often have it with oven roasted potatoes and some olive oil.

Btw how does pea protein digest for you? I'm thinking about buying some and adding to smoothies.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

I find pea protein very good. I used to have lentils but I think they caused some bowel irritation and I know they're quite high in oxalates. My protein powder is pea based also. Peas are very high in zinc which was one of the minerals I found harder to source foods for.

boris

Is Pak Choi goitrogenic? I remember I ate something similar to it (similar amounts too, about a pound) in a broth daily for some weeks and it caused problems for me in the long run.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Yea I’m being petty the iron probably isn’t a big deal tbh

I tried to make a reply about the goitrogens, I realised my reply wasn't scientific enough and so I tried to delete it but I realised that I couldn't so I just edited it to say moo.

boris

I think goitrogens are mostly an issue when eating raw cabbage/pak choi. Cooking should eliminate some or even most[?] of the effect, but I‘m not sure how daily consumption would play out in the long run.

Did you notice any negative effects?

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Do you just throw everything in boiling water? How long do you cook for?

Yes. I cook until the butternut squash is nice and soft, or after. It doesn't matter. I tend to add rice now and spread it out over a few days and cook it several times. It's very easy as long as you don't overboil it and the water comes out, you're fine.