Vegan diet testosterone

scoobydoo

I was just about to post this. 10 year vegan has higher testosterone than I do and I’m 22, he’s 37 ?

Charger

Doesn't surprise me, carbs are good for testosterone.

I think excessive caloric restriction is probably more detrimental to testosterone than any particular diet.

OP
A

AndrogenicJB

Doesn't surprise me, carbs are good for testosterone.

I think excessive caloric restriction is probably more detrimental to testosterone than any particular diet.
He has high shbg though. I think his claim that soy is not estrogenic is false however. There are studies that counter the one he showed. I think soy foods and a vegan diet will increase shbg

Charger

He has high shbg though. I think his claim that soy is not estrogenic is false however. There are studies that counter the one he showed. I think soy foods and a vegan diet will increase shbg

Carbs are generally good for lowering SHBG, and SHBG can be elevated for different reasons. I had high SHBG after doing low carb/carnivore diets. I agree that there's evidence that soy is very high in phytoestrogens.

scoobydoo

I have high shbg and much lower free T than he does. I eat meat and low fiber ?‍♀️

Ritchie

There are a lot of misconceptions about soy and estrogen. What most don't consider and what is often failed to be highlighted in discussions around soy, is that the estrogens contained in soy are phytoestrogens, or plant estrogens. These plant estrogens are far less potent, in measures of magnitude, than mammalian (animal) estrogens, i.e. the ones found in cows milk or the ones our own bodies produce. We are talking hundreds of times less potent.

Mechanistically these phytoestrogens when consumed have been shown to bind to our estrogen receptors and in so doing block mammalian estrogens from being absorbed. In other words they can essentially operate as an estrogen antagonist.

Last edited: