Valerian For Insomnia - Dosage?Form?Brand?

DMF

Need something badly - not sleeping, and anxiety. Who offers good quality Valerian? Kava, though very effective makes me nauseous

marcar72

I use Celestial Seasonings Extra Sleepytime Tea sometimes, it's got like 25 mg Valerian Root per cup. I mostly just use the regular Sleepytime Tea from them, though. I brew a 12 oz. cup with one tea bag daily as part of my get ready for bed ritual. The regular Sleepytime Tea is pretty potent in itself. Give it a try maybe, it's pretty reasonably priced and you should find it at most grocery stores. :2cents

Dan W

A few years ago when I was using Valerian root, ConsumerLabs had Vitamin World brand rated as one of the few with enough of the active ingredient and low enough in heavy metals. Unfortunately ConsumerLabs might be a little questionable in how they motivate companies to participate, and the ideal brands might've changed in the meantime.

In the longer term, a general thyroid-supporting Peat-ish approach has dramatically improved my insomnia.

natedawggh

Carbon dioxide is a potent nerve calming agent and anti inflammatory. Improving thyroid function and thus improving CO2 levels is the best way to restore sleep and reduce anxiety Other practices such as pursed lip breathing (look it up) can quickly raise co2 and alleviate acute anxiety and help with long term therapy if practiced regularly. Read ray peat for strategies at lifting co2 levels too. Valerian root only kind of worked for me, I don't have a lot of faith in it.

ilpmusic

I use Celestial Seasonings Extra Sleepytime Tea sometimes, it's got like 25 mg Valerian Root per cup. I mostly just use the regular Sleepytime Tea from them, though. I brew a 12 oz. cup with one tea bag daily as part of my get ready for bed ritual. The regular Sleepytime Tea is pretty potent in itself. Give it a try maybe, it's pretty reasonably priced and you should find it at most grocery stores. :2cents
Sleepytime tea extra makes my sleep WORSE from the valerian. See the thread "Valerian Expereinces".

Frankdee20

Try the Traditional Medicinals sleep tea, with or without Valerian. GIAA herbs also makes a sleep tea.

Frankdee20

Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Passionflower, Valerian, Kava - all help sleep through GABA enhancing mechanisms. They’re considered nervines.