Vaginal Route Of Progesterone During Pregnancy ?

PakPik

I personally would not do that if I was in her situation. I would worry about the possible impurities of a supplement which could harm. Moreover, a significantly off taste could indicate that the fatty acids are not totally intact, I've many times had bottles with bad taste with what seems some degree of peroxidation/rancidification of the fatty acids. When the bottle is very fresh it doesn't have an off taste, but a mild and nutty one. So I wouldn't apply an off tasting product, possibly with some degree of peroxidation directly on the tissue, it could irritate or harm it. This is just my take on it.

T

tca300

My wife was prescribed Progesterone and they encourage her to take it vaginally. I read a study a while back that showed Progesterone raises blood levels a little better if used vaginally. Progest E doesn't taste good, I understand why she doesn't like it.

SarahBeara

I'm weird I like the taste of it!

I wouldn't risk a non-GMP manufactured supplement vaginally though, the digestive system is better at filtering impurities.

whodathunkit

I tried Progest-E vaginally (I put it in an empty gelatin capsule before insertion), and I also had some bioidentical vaginal suppositories compounded at a local pharmacy (with a script from my doc). With both I got itching "down there" and had to stop.

I don't really like the taste of Progest-E but if I put it in an empty gelatin cap it's just like swallowing another supplement.

But what I usually do (to maximize epithelial absorption all the way down) is I put the drops on my finger and kind of scrape it off on my lower teeth. Then chase it down with some pure concord grape juice. It's over in a moment, and grape juice is one of my favorite things ever since I was a kid, anyway, plus very Peat-friendly.

Or maybe she could try haidut's transdermal version (Progestene). It's a little pricier than Progest-E because the dosage per drop is less, but it's made with DMSO and penetrates quickly. There's no tacky, sticky, long-standing mess on the skin like with transdermal Progest-E. My skin doesn't seem to like DMSO very much but a lot of people don't seem to have that problem. It could be worth a shot.

Edited to add: I didn't internalize the fact that she is pregnant when I wrote the above. Leaving it as food for thought, but adding that you might want to research DMSO and pregnancy before considering Progestene. If I was pregnant I would probably put it in a gelatin cap and swallow it if I really couldn't stand the taste. I'm sure pregnancy is probably affecting her ability to tolerate "gustatorily disgusting" things, and may also be giving her a hyperawareness of taste. So a capsule might be the easiest. If using the cap I might also add a couple drops to the dose to compensate for possible loss of absorption due to oral route.

Last edited:

tara

Would mixing the progest-e with a little butter or coconut oil make it more palatable the mouth?

Personally, I would be wary of DMSO in pregnancy, just because it can have some hard-to-predict effects.

Beastmode

For the record I emailed Ray Peat about this very topic and he said Progest-E can be used vaginally quite effectively. We had to go this route for a little while as the taste was unbearable for a few weeks.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I mix 100mg of DHEA into every new bottle of Progest-e (as recommended by RP for pelvic organ prolapse). It takes a while for the powder from the DHEA capsule to dissolve fully. Once it does, I apply olive oil vaginally first, followed by three large-ish drops of progest-e. RP says that continuing this while pregnant is fine, and that some progesterone can be helpful-- but that it's a good idea to get labs done to check progesterone levels.

He also said (of the above mixture): "DHEA strengthens elastic tissues and with progesterone it opposes the effect of estrogen."

I like the strengthening of elastic tissues idea for childbirth!

LUH 3417

RP once told me via email to mix ProgestE with butter if taking it orally, as the viscosity of the product could cause severe stomach cramping (which is what happened to me once, aspirin made the cramps go away immediately though).

Zpol

I've taken Progesterone vaginally and it was very effective. I used it to cure amenorrhea. Worked like a charm. However, it did ooze out a bit so I had to wear a panti-liner. Also, it was in peanut oil so that sucked, later on I found out I could have it made at a compounding pharmacy where I could supply my own oil. That's were I get it from now. I still use Progest-E for topical issues but I can't seem to get enough milligrams of it so I had to add in 200mg capsules of prescription progesterone, mixed with EVOO.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I mix 100mg of DHEA into every new bottle of Progest-e (as recommended by RP for pelvic organ prolapse). It takes a while for the powder from the DHEA capsule to dissolve fully. Once it does, I apply olive oil vaginally first, followed by three large-ish drops of progest-e. RP says that continuing this while pregnant is fine, and that some progesterone can be helpful-- but that it's a good idea to get labs done to check progesterone levels.

He also said (of the above mixture): "DHEA strengthens elastic tissues and with progesterone it opposes the effect of estrogen."

I like the strengthening of elastic tissues idea for childbirth!

Guh, just found out that dhea is not recommended during pregnancy. Don't do what I did! I used the dhea/progest-e mixture all the way through the first trimester!

Use dhea w/progest-e up until pregnant and the discontinue.

Last edited:

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Guh, just found out that dhea is not recommended during pregnancy. Don't do what I did! I used the dhea/progest-e mixture all the way through the
first trimester!

Use dhea w/progest-e up until pregnant and the discontinue.

But women who takes it for fertility typically take 75mg per day, and I was taking waaaaay less- only micrograms per day. So I'm sure I'll be fine.

LUH 3417

Would there be any benefit to take progestE if you have a regular menstrual cycle but want super smart and happy babies? I’m a bit afraid to play with my hormones but also excited by all the wonderful things it does for babies according to RP

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Would there be any benefit to take progestE if you have a regular menstrual cycle but want super smart and happy babies? I’m a bit afraid to play with my hormones but also excited by all the wonderful things it does for babies according to RP

I don't know, but RP recommended I get a blood test to see how my progesterone levels were!

Gigs

Do those who use Progesterone vaginally think making a Cocoa Butter, Progest-e suppository would work? How are others inserting it vaginally?
Am wanting to try it for dryness. ND wants me to use Estriol suppository, but I just cant think of doing that.

Am considering using the Vit A suppository route as well.

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I dip a finger in Olive oil then insert as far as I can, followed by a finger with the progest-e. Low tech but gets the job done!

Gigs

I dip a finger in Olive oil then insert as far as I can, followed by a finger with the progest-e. Low tech but gets the job done!
Thanks so much for that! I'm wondering which DHEA you use. At the moment I have a bottle of the BioMatrix Liquid which contains alcohol. You think it better to use a powder or break open a capsule?

I've taken Progesterone vaginally and it was very effective. I used it to cure amenorrhea. Worked like a charm. However, it did ooze out a bit so I had to wear a panti-liner. Also, it was in peanut oil so that sucked, later on I found out I could have it made at a compounding pharmacy where I could supply my own oil. That's were I get it from now. I still use Progest-E for topical issues but I can't seem to get enough milligrams of it so I had to add in 200mg capsules of prescription progesterone, mixed with EVOO.
Is it good for topical vaginal issues & discomfort I.e inflammation, itching, soreness etc & how much to take?

Zpol

Is it good for topical vaginal issues & discomfort I.e inflammation, itching, soreness etc & how much to take?
I wasn't experiencing those issues so I can't really say if it would help in that regard. Can't hurt to try though I would think.
I was using a product called Prometrium, 200mg on days 14-28.