UVB Lamp

M

member 2106

I live at a very northerly latitude, and am almost certainly becoming vitamin D deficient.

Has anyone used a UVB lamp to any avail? Can you recommend a brand?

golder

Interesting. Any more info/threads on this exoterra DIY version mate? Interested to try this due to not being able to find a cheap UK source for the Sperti. Thanks!

Dave Clark

Interesting. Any more info/threads on this exoterra DIY version mate? Interested to try this due to not being able to find a cheap UK source for the Sperti. Thanks!
I wish I could give you some. Since I heard people were using these bulbs to make lamps I have been searching to see if anyone put out any videos, or even written instructions on a search, but so far have found none. I would like to find some to make a back-up lamp for myself incase my Sperti would go on the blink. If I find any I will post, if you do, please do the same.

OP
M

member 2106

I wish I could give you some. Since I heard people were using these bulbs to make lamps I have been searching to see if anyone put out any videos, or even written instructions on a search, but so far have found none. I would like to find some to make a back-up lamp for myself incase my Sperti would go on the blink. If I find any I will post, if you do, please do the same.

TripleOG

Yes. I use in conjunction with red light. Has been more effective at improving blood markers than oral Vit. D.

Have you searched for narrowband UVB bulbs? Last I checked, they were a lot easier to obtain in the UK compared to the US. If not, then go with "midrange UVB" bulbs. They're similar (if not the same) wavelengths as the Sperti bulbs.

OP
M

member 2106

Yes. I use in conjunction with red light. Has been more effective at improving blood markers than oral Vit. D.

Have you searched for narrowband UVB bulbs? Last I checked, they were a lot easier to obtain in the UK compared to the US. If not, then go with "midrange UVB" bulbs. They're similar (if not the same) wavelengths as the Sperti bulbs.

Yes, it's easy enough to obtain a UVB bulb here in the UK, but in terms of a larger Sperti-like lamp setup, that's not so easy to find, hence the need for a DIY option of some kind.

OP
M

member 2106

Ray has recommended a basic UV bulb that are marketed for people keeping reptiles as pets. Obviously the basking area is smaller, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work even if it covers just a small area of skin.

OP
M

member 2106

Just as an update, I've been in touch with Ray, and I now have a 160W UVB bulb (marketed for reptiles) set up: Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp. I'm going to try basking within six feet of it for about five minutes a day, being careful not to burn. In a month or so I'll get my vitamin D tested and see where it's at.

Msdk

I'm considering the same bulb and would like to hear about your experience.

golder

Likewise, also considering this bulb. Ray normally talks about the 250w clear incandescent bulb more so than this 160w UV bulb. Would you use this UV bulb in place of the incandescent, or both? What would the differences be between the two? Thanks for all your help.

OP
M

member 2106

Likewise, also considering this bulb. Ray normally talks about the 250w clear incandescent bulb more so than this 160w UV bulb. Would you use this UV bulb in place of the incandescent, or both? What would the differences be between the two? Thanks for all your help.

The UV bulb would be specifically for vitamin D.

TripleOG

@James b
@TripleOG

I just found this brand: Derma UVB V2 - Narrowband Phototherapy Lamp

What do you think? It's quite small and mostly marketed as a treatment for psoriasis, but perhaps it could do the trick.

My bad, didn't see a notification for the mention.

That's an overpriced lamp. You were right going a different route.

I lie under dual 4ft UVB grow lights meant for plants. 2.5 mins front and back every other day is all I seem to need.

golder

My bad, didn't see a notification for the mention.

That's an overpriced lamp. You were right going a different route.

I lie under dual 4ft UVB grow lights meant for plants. 2.5 mins front and back every other day is all I seem to need.

Thanks mate. All you seem to need - do you mean in terms of vitD blood tests or subjectively feel better?
Any chance you could link the 4ft UVB grow light. Sounds like it might well be a worthwhile investment. Thanks!

TripleOG

Thanks mate. All you seem to need - do you mean in terms of vitD blood tests or subjectively feel better?
Any chance you could link the 4ft UVB grow light. Sounds like it might well be a worthwhile investment. Thanks!

UVB exposure time varies per person. You increase until erythema develops, back off a little, and use that time for treatments. 2.5mins front/back EOD is all I need for improvements.

Bulbs: AgroMax T5 UV Bulb | Shop 4 Foot T5 UV Bulb for Plants by AgroMax | HTG Supply

TripleOG

How close are you to the light? I'm still trying to work out the optimal distance.

Think I have mine raised 3ft above me. Doesn't really matter. Knowing your "minimal erythema dose" at a particular distance is what's important.