Using Oxtail As A Source Of Glycine - Some Questions

M

member 2106

I've been cooking oxtail using Danny Roddy's method.

When the meat is cooked, I dump the water in a jar and put it in the fridge. The next day, a hard layer of what I'm assuming to be pure fat has formed on the top. I scoop this off and throw it away. What's underneath is jelly. I heat this up, salt it, and drink it occasionally.

Am I doing this the right way? Is that a great source of glycine? Will the jelly still contain lots of fat, or has that all been removed when I scooped off the hard layer? What else, in terms of minerals or vitamins, will I be getting from this broth?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolabeacon

When the meat is cooked, I dump the water in a jar and put it in the fridge. The next day, a hard layer of what I'm assuming to be pure fat has formed on the top. I scoop this off and throw it away. What's underneath is pure jelly. I heat this up, salt it, and drink it occasionally.

Am I doing this the right way? Is that a great source of glycine? Will the jelly still contain lots of fat, or has that all been removed when I scooped off the hard layer? What else, in terms of minerals or vitamins, will I be getting from this broth?

Thank you!
For me----Meat without frying( or fried but cooled down)should be putted in cold water And bring to boil very slowly And skimmed. Too little water ( not extracted gelatin properly) Just tastless plain oxtail soup without ( carrots, celleriac And parsley roots And onions).And time consuming preparation. I make in big pot classic soup with vegetables( 3-4 hours cooking)And lots of gelatinous cuts. And this last for a week ( depens On number of us) just put lots of salt...And its tastes much better When is extra salty. And very stimulating music in clip.:D

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Yeah that is maybe the highest quality source of glycine there is. Bone broth contains other valuable nutrients as well, as does the fat you are throwing away but se la vie.

The problem is that, for me at least, there is n way I would reach my glycine goals through bone broth/gelatinous meats alone. Ideally I want 1/2 of my protein to be coming from gelatin, and at least 1/3. If I am getting 80 grams of protien from milk and cheese, then I want 40 grams of protein from glycine. I believe a bowl of bone broth contains maybe 5 or 6 grams? Add in the oxtail too and maybe youre getting 15 grams? Since oxtail isn't that cheap I would also be running my budget pretty high to hit that 40 gram target everyday. So thats where gelatin/collagen/glycine pills come in.

Also when making oxtial or bone broth dont let it boil for more than a few hours because the bones begin to leech heavy metals. Don't re use the bones like they say to on paleo boards.

OP
M

member 2106

Yeah that is maybe the highest quality source of glycine there is. Bone broth contains other valuable nutrients as well, as does the fat you are throwing away but se la vie.

The problem is that, for me at least, there is n way I would reach my glycine goals through bone broth/gelatinous meats alone. Ideally I want 1/2 of my protein to be coming from gelatin, and at least 1/3. If I am getting 80 grams of protien from milk and cheese, then I want 40 grams of protein from glycine. I believe a bowl of bone broth contains maybe 5 or 6 grams? Add in the oxtail too and maybe youre getting 15 grams? Since oxtail isn't that cheap I would also be running my budget pretty high to hit that 40 gram target everyday. So thats where gelatin/collagen/glycine pills come in.

Also when making oxtial or bone broth dont let it boil for more than a few hours because the bones begin to leech heavy metals. Don't re use the bones like they say to on paleo boards.

Thanks, good info! Next time, I'll save the fat for frying.

paymanz

I believe the fat on top is all of the fat in it.

And mostly you get minerals like calcium and phosphorus from it, and some trace minerals like manganese and copper.

Bones of younger animals are better to use,lower heavy metals, lower phosphate..

OP
M

member 2106

I believe the fat on top is all of the fat in it.

And mostly you get minerals like calcium and phosphorus from it, and some trace minerals like manganese and copper.

Bones of younger animals are better to use,lower heavy metals, lower phosphate..

Cheers :)

x-ray peat

When the meat is cooked, I dump the water in a jar and put it in the fridge. The next day, a hard layer of what I'm assuming to be pure fat has formed on the top. I scoop this off and throw it away. What's underneath is jelly. I heat this up, salt it, and drink it occasionally.

Thank you!
Thanks for the recipe, but for me, the techno-bastardization of Beethoven is kind of disorienting. For those in need of a quick mental cleanse, I have always enjoyed this version. Actually brings tears to my eyes.

dfspcc20

After you strain the liquid, I would put the container in a sink full of ice water or something, to cool it down a lot faster. Depending on the quantity of liquid, putting a container full of piping hot liquid into the refrigerator is going to put a lot of stress on the fridge, warm up anything else in the vicinity, and it probably won't cool it fast enough to prevent anything from growing in it. At least that's what I've been taught.

OP
M

member 2106

After you strain the liquid, I would put the container in a sink full of ice water or something, to cool it down a lot faster. Depending on the quantity of liquid, putting a container full of piping hot liquid into the refrigerator is going to put a lot of stress on the fridge, warm up anything else in the vicinity, and it probably won't cool it fast enough to prevent anything from growing in it. At least that's what I've been taught.

Yes, I always leave the jar to cool a bit before putting it in the fridge. I forgot that part.

sladerunner69

Thanks for the recipe, but for me, the techno-bastardization of Beethoven is kind of disorienting. For those in need of a quick mental cleanse, I have always enjoyed this version. Actually brings tears to my eyes.

Good to see we are all completely dialed in to the subject at hand!!

That fat has been boiled for 3+ hours...

x-ray peat

Good to see we are all completely dialed in to the subject at hand!!
And I thought the RPF was an authoritarian free zone. Whats wrong, Bam Bam no like Beethoven? Ironically Beethoven does a better job at reducing excess serotonin than glycine, which actually raises it.

Last edited:
qZufjOT.png

sladerunner69

And I thought the RPF was an authoritarian free zone. Whats wrong, Bam Bam no like Beethoven? Ironically Beethoven does a better job at reducing excess serotonin than glycine, which actually raises it.

No that is not the case, weren't you here for the big argument with the moderators? A while back someone was banned and a lot of people were fond of that someone which caused a bit of an outcry but the mods laid the hammer down and said their word is always final.

Also when I wrote that I thought you were being purely random, I didn't listen to the music on danny's oxtail soup video.

x-ray peat

No that is not the case, weren't you here for the big argument with the moderators? A while back someone was banned and a lot of people were fond of that someone which caused a bit of an outcry but the mods laid the hammer down and said their word is always final.

Also when I wrote that I thought you were being purely random, I didn't listen to the music on danny's oxtail soup video.
True, I should have said a Ray Peat follower and not the RPF.

edit: got it. that music on the soup video just grated on me

Last edited:

paymanz

Glycine increases serotonin?!

BTW glycine's benefit is not only limited to balancing tryptophan and so controlling serotonin's production.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals