Using non-aromatizing androgen when hypothyroid

metamorph

I've been treating hypothyroidism successfully with T3/T4 Cynomel/Cynoplus for over a year. My most recent dose was 40mcg T3 & 80mcg of T4 daily.

However, 6 days ago I started taking Oxandrolone (Anavar) at 10mg and I became severely hyperthyroid, to the point of almost fainting. So, I backed the Oxandrolone dose down to 2.5-5mg and I'm still experiencing hyper and then hypo symptoms.

Instead of ditching the Oxandrolone experiment prematurely I'd like to give it another week to see what I can do to make it work.

Does anyone have any advice on adjusting thyroid accordingly when using Oxandrolone/non-aromatizing androgens?

"when you have a non aromatizing androgen you're going to reduce TBG, increase thyroid function (hyperthyroid) and lower TSH." - Video reference

"Oxandrolone on the other hand does not aromatize. The oxandrolone group showed a significant decrease in T4 and T3 resin uptake, with no change in TSH. Referring to Table 1 above, we see that the combination of low T4 and low T3 resin uptake is characteristic of hypothyroidism. This is the conclusion the authors arrived at as well, that the oxandrolone group experienced mild hypothyroidism. Again, as in the study by Deyssig & Weissel, even though T4 and T3 resin uptake were low relative to placebo the values fell within the normal range, making the diagnosis of “hypothyroidism” a relative one rather than a clinical one. Clinically all subjects would be classified as euthyroid. And as in the other studies the authors here concluded “these changes were most likely due to the effects of sex steroids on thyroid binding globulin (TBG).” The authors also observed that the Free T4 Index was higher in the oxandrolone group than either the placebo or testosterone groups." - Reference

When androgenic anabolic steroids are used in patients with thyroid disorders, clinicians should be aware that these agents may affect thyroid function tests. Specifically, thyroid-binding globulin levels may be decreased, resulting in lower total T4 serum levels and increased resin uptake of T3 and T4. Free thyroid hormone levels remain unchanged, however. - Source

For context; i'm experimenting with Oxandrolone for several reasons;
- Autoimmunity
"It has been known for almost 100 years that anabolic steroids such as testosterone (as well as nandrolone, oxandrolone, trenbolone, methenolone, etc) are highly effective in stopping almost immediately an "autoimmune" flare and often curing the entire condition for good." - @haidut post
- Recovery from glucocorticoid excess which Oxandrolone is used for
- Expedited Would healing and skin restructuring from life long skin-disease
- Rebuilding musculature/fitness after 2yrs disability

Last edited:

BearWithMe

I have experienced the worst and fastest deterioration of my health when taking non-aromatizing androgen when hypothyroid. Two doses did more damage to my health than 10 years of horrible diet.

I would not be surprised by any symptoms taking androgens under such circumstances might cause.

I'm not saying non-aromatizing androgens are bad, I'm saying taking non-aromatizing androgens when hypothyroid is bad.

golder

I have experienced the worst and fastest deterioration of my health when taking non-aromatizing androgen when hypothyroid. Two doses did more damage to my health than 10 years of horrible diet.

I would not be surprised by any symptoms taking androgens under such circumstances might cause.

I'm not saying non-aromatizing androgens are bad, I'm saying taking non-aromatizing androgens when hypothyroid is bad.
Wow, I didn’t realise the extent of the possible damage here. What would you put the negative effects down to from the non-aromatisable androgens when you were hypothyroid? Obviously estrogen can’t be implicated, but I’m unsure what it could be.

BearWithMe

High androgen state might require very strong metabolism to keep up with the increased needs. If the metabolism is unable to keep up, it might crumble catastrophically.

Imagine overheating engine in a car. Imagine removing RPM limiter (=bypassing the limit your body is putting on androgen production) and pushing the gas pedal to the floor, reving it up to extreme speeds. It will blow up quickly.

This is just my theory, I don't have any references for this and I might be wrong.

golder

High androgen state might require very strong metabolism to keep up with the increased needs. If the metabolism is unable to keep up, it might crumble catastrophically.

Imagine overheating engine in a car. Imagine removing RPM limiter (=bypassing the limit your body is putting on androgen production) and pushing the gas pedal to the floor, reving it up to extreme speeds. It will blow up quickly.

This is just my theory, I don't have any references for this and I might be wrong.
Yeah that’s a fair analogy. Don’t forget the cortisol antagonism and blunting the catabolic state. These can move the needle in a very positive direction. If only to signal to the body what it should be striving for. I dont think it’s all completey negative, but I also don’t feel like taking lots of exogenous hormones in an unhealthy body (even for a short amount of time) is always the right answer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals