Using a Biometric scale to infer changes in bone health over time. (N=1)

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

It’s been about a month since I got my biometric scale so I got on this morning out of curiosity. Not much has changed as I expected but it was interesting that it estimated my metabolic age as 48 and 1 month ago it estimated it as 49. That’s one measurement I like seeing go down! I don’t know how accurate it is but I like it.
I do not think the metabolic age is very accurate. All of my readings (over a year's worth) end in ".0". So the numbers jump by 1.0 years or decrease by 1.0 years. It may be that you are on the cusp.

It might be best to reflect on positive changes that you made that might have difference in your metabolic age.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I do not think the metabolic age is very accurate. All of my readings (over a year's worth) end in ".0". So the numbers jump by 1.0 years or decrease by 1.0 years. It may be that you are on the cusp.

It might be best to reflect on positive changes that you made that might have difference in your metabolic age.
Thank you, good to know. Has yours been tracking close to your actual age?

OP
David PS

David PS

Thank you, good to know. Has yours been tracking close to your actual age?
My reading for my metabolic age has basically been tracking 4 years younger than my actual age.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My reading for my metabolic age has basically been tracking 4 years younger than my actual age.
Thanks, same for me. It would be interesting to know if it’s the same for other people.

yerrag

This MD is a bit too extreme for me but he is correct in that visceral fat is important.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMgjShy_IIE&t=5s

Thanks for the short video.

Yes, the visceral fat he shows is real, though I can see why you consider his methods extreme. As an RP cognoscenti, you can see why one doesn't have to go carnivore to reduce both visceral and subcutaneous fat.

He misleads though by showing his flabby before and toned up after pictures, failing to mention that the toned up muscles was only about cutting back on carbs. Any person who has worked can see that he is stretching, and by that I don't refer to muscles.

His example of comparing grass fed beef and grain/corn fed beef is another one. He forgets to mention that feeding steer with rice, even processed rice, isn't going to have the same effect as feeding corn and grains- making the steer gain a lotbof fat and weight.

Yet he bedevils all processed carbs, and by that he means white rice and sugar. Which means we know something he doesn't.

He compares his low visceral fat to that of his Chinese colleague's high visceral fat and attributes the difference to white rice.

That may be, but he needs to be reminded that when one eats carnivore, certainly there is little sugar to turn to fat, and it's only because blood sugar can not get high enough to be converted to fat by the liver, as protein is converted to sugar by the body only when blood sugar is near its low levels, and that protein is the only source of blood sugar.

And his colleague getting a lot of visceral fat because he eats white rice is not entirely true. There are plenty of Asians, not just Chinese, who live a diet based on white rice, and they are lean. He doesn't know they have excellent sugar metabolism. And he is ignorant of the role of PUFAs in inhibiting sugar metabolism and increasing blood sugar levels to drive fat production by the liver via insulin action.

And though he makes no mention of it, both visceral and subcutaneous fat are made by the same mechanism. One can't develop one without the other not developing.

OP
David PS

David PS

Fisetin may be helpful to improve bone health.

OP
David PS

David PS

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’m very happy with mine. I understand that it’s not as accurate as things like dexa scans and such but it’s still nice for long term comparisons especially for the price and ease of use.

OP
David PS

David PS

I’m very happy with mine. I understand that it’s not as accurate as things like dexa scans and such but it’s still nice for long term comparisons especially for the price and ease of use.
I am glad that you are still happy with yours. I lent my scale to my brother. Getting body fat and muscle mass numbers before dieting can be helpful if soemone is going to start a eight loss diet. I do not ask him how his weight has changed

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I am glad that you are still happy with yours. I lent my scale to my brother. Getting body fat and muscle mass numbers before dieting can be helpful if soemone is going to start a eight loss diet. I do not ask him how his weight has changed
That was so kind! I just use mine once a month and I’ve seen a small increase (.2 lb) in my bone mass. I would have been happy to just maintain though in all honesty. I’m really grateful you brought this up.

OP
David PS

David PS

That was so kind! I just use mine once a month and I’ve seen a small increase (.2 lb) in my bone mass. I would have been happy to just maintain though in all honesty. I’m really grateful you brought this up.

That is great news. Expect more increases in the future. The scale only records increases 0.2 lb at a time. It takes months for the scale to register a change. This morning a watched a very believable video about woman who reversed her bone loss over the course of more than 4 years, so be patient. The video has some interesting information about jumping and other things to consider. I read the comments to the video to find additional suggests. Keep reporting your progress, "your story will help someone."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcUYmdcfyaw

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@David PS, tomorrow will be one year since I got the scale you recommended and I’ve been tracking my bone mass faithfully through out that time. I’m thrilled to report that my bone mass estimate has increased. I just wanted to update you and thank you again.
E91998C1-CCAB-4964-895E-37F7D6F55400.jpeg
5DF4D10B-50FE-4C37-9BF8-8C257D3643EE.png

OP
David PS

David PS

@David PS, tomorrow will be one year since I got the scale you recommended and I’ve been tracking my bone mass faithfully through out that time. I’m thrilled to report that my bone mass estimate has increased. I just wanted to update you and thank you again.

That is great! The numbers for bone mass move very slowly. I hope you choose to share your 2-year numbers.

It looks like some of your other numbers are moving in a positive direction as well. Congratulations on all your efforts to stay healthy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That is great! The numbers for bone mass move very slowly. I hope you choose to share your 2-year numbers.

It looks like some of your other numbers are moving in a positive direction as well. Congratulations on all your efforts to stay healthy.
Thank you David! Yes, I’ve been trying to build muscle as well for my elder years. I will definitely share my 2 year numbers.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@David PS, I have one question if you don’t mind? Do you know what it means when the numbers are blue vs. green?

OP
David PS

David PS

@David PS, I have one question if you don’t mind? Do you know what it means when the numbers are blue vs. green?

I do not know, but I am willing to guess.

I just checked my phone and all of my numbers are light green except my number for body fat (11.3%). My body fat number is a darker green. I do not have any blue numbers,

If you turn on your phone to view of the screen shot that you posted and then click on your Subcutaneous fat number (which is blue) you may find that for a female of your age that the color blue may be an indication that your subcutaneous fat is low, You may need to press and hold for the color bar to appear. EDIT - If you your subcutaneous fat is low it is only low according to the apps algorithm.

For a male of my age my 10.0% subcutaneous fat puts me in the green (near the blue end but not but not into the blue).

The good news is that neither of us have any red numbers.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I do not know, but I am willing to guess.

I just checked my phone and all of my numbers are light green except my number for body fat (11.3%). My body fat number is a darker green. I do not have any blue numbers,

If you turn on your phone to view of the screen shot that you posted and then click on your Subcutaneous fat number (which is blue) you may find that for a female of your age that the color blue may be an indication that your subcutaneous fat is low, You may need to press and hold for the color bar to appear.

For a male of my age my 10.0% subcutaneous fat puts me in the green (near the blue end but not but not into the blue).

The good news is that neither of us have any red numbers.
Thank you! Yes, that’s very helpful and makes perfect sense.
Edit: Yay for no red numbers!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals