US birth rate falls to lowest point in more than a century

meatbag

The U.S. birth rate fell 4% last year, the largest single-year decrease in nearly 50 years, according to a government report being released Wednesday.

The rate dropped for moms of every major race and ethnicity, and in nearly every age group, falling to the lowest point since federal health officials started tracking it more than a century ago.

Births have been declining in younger women for years, as many postponed motherhood and had smaller families.

Birth rates for women in their late 30s and in their 40s have been inching up. But not last year.

“The fact that you saw declines in births even for older moms is quite striking,” said Brady Hamilton, of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the lead author of the new report.

The CDC report is based on a review of more than 99% of birth certificates issued last year. The findings echo a recent Associated Press analysis of 2020 data from 25 states showing that births had fallen during the coronavirus outbreak.

The U.S. once was among only a few developed countries with a fertility rate that ensured each generation had enough children to replace it. About a dozen years ago, the estimated rate was 2.1 kids per U.S. woman. But it’s been sliding, and last year dropped to about 1.6, the lowest rate on record.
--
US birth rate falls to lowest point in more than a century

Missenger

What a convenient excuse they've designed themselves for migrant citizenship while they break everything and tax people to death.

orangeUglad

I know many are embracing the LGBTQ lifestyle now ... Could this be one of the contributors to the birthrate decline?

Missenger

I know many are embracing the LGBTQ lifestyle now ... Could this be one of the contributors to the birthrate decline?
No, that was and still is tax-funded propaganda. This is from the lockdowns and everything else from that.

animalcule

I think the Covid scare might be enough to explain it, especially for older women. People thought this was a catastrophic virus that would forever alter civilization (well, it kinda seems like it’s turning out that way, but not due to the lethality of the virus). If you’re an older woman, you’re almost certainly planning your pregnancies. Why have a baby during such an uncertainty and possibly dangerous time?

animalcule

What a convenient excuse they've designed themselves for migrant citizenship while they break everything and tax people to death.
Yes, all while lecturing native citizens about the climate crisis and overpopulation, discouraging large families among conscientious people. Not at all coherent, and yet so many people fall for it.