Uridine Monophosphate For Fatty Liver/weight Problems/depression/anxiety/insomnia

natedawggh

From a Ray Peat view of the organism (humans), it is generally viewed that all degenerative conditions are interrelated in one way or another. As is in my experience, mental and physical problems go hand in hand and rarely ever present singularly. The major themes of my struggles have been: depression/low energy, weight gain, thyroid and liver troubles, and severe insomnia.

I happened on a discussion here where Haidut mentioned Uridine. It piqued my curiosity and I have been doing some research into it. Uridine is common but only in low concentrations, and only exists in fresh food (meats especially). It, along with other nucleotides are vital to the life process, and the only Peat friendly source from which Uridine is found in high amounts is in human breast milk. This is interesting because the breast milk contains everything to sustain rapid and demanding human growth, and many of the other ingredients: calcium, protein, etc. we can attain from other sources once grown. Nucleotides we cannot get as easily.

In my reading I've come across some interesting studies on Uridine: it is commonly being used to treat psychiatric illnesses with great success. A recent study into bipolar treatment with Uridine found it successfully relieved conditions by sufferers: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=13451540

The medical establishment often regards mental and physical conditions as separate, but this is ridiculous because the mental part of ourselves is nothing but biology, and the same processes that govern the mind govern the rest of the body.

Uridine was also found in this rat study to completely suppress fatty liver conditions and restore hepatic (liver) mitochondrial activity. This study greatly interested me because I have very high triglycerides and a sluggish, fatty liver, and health truly does start and end with the liver. It also increased NAD+, which is regarded as a good thing. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3605981/

Uridine also increased mitochondrial activity in HIV patients whose activity was suppressed by anti-viral drugs. The crux of Ray Peat's work is to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of mitochondria. http://www.natap.org/2006/HIV/072006_03.htm

Another of my conditions is very high cortisol: I developed a significant amount of abdominal fat and stretch marks (in areas that are not fat) which is an obvious, outward sign of very high cortisol. This study confirms that cortisol depletes Uridine, and the absence of cortisol increases Uridine: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs ... V94-EK25kc

This study also shows the different compositions at different times of day of the nucleotides in breast milk: https://www.borstvoeding.com/files/sanc ... otides.pdf
It is interesting to see that uridine concentration is at the highest in the evening and at night, the most stressful time of day for humans, and I have seen reports that Uridine helps or makes some people sleepy (this would be great for my insomnia!) but I also wonder if, like cortisol and melatonin, it might have negative effects with long term exposure. I'm guessing since it's in breast milk in high concentrations, it probably is more beneficial than not.

I've ordered some uridine (it's not commonly available but some brands do have it—I always avoid any supplements with silica in them). And will update this post with my experience. If anyone else has used Uridine please let us know if it has helped in any way!

Rivka

Thanks for the links and info! I have all the symptoms you have mentioned also and would love to give uridine a try. Would you recommend a good brand I could try? The brands on the internet that I could find had silcon and other fillers that I would like to avoid.

Dean

extremecheddar said:

Nothing definitive to report yet. I just finished a small packet of the powder which I took irregularly. Just received a larger amount and am trying to figure out a daily protocol dosage, time of day, etc.). I did find uridine as more promising than Mucuna L-Dopa, in terms of raising dopamine levels and improving mood, etc., nor did I experience anything negative from the uridine--which is rare for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rivka

I tried 50mg powder and felt low and depressed. It bought my mood way down. Anyone else experience this or know why this happens after supplementation with Uridine?

J

jb116

I've read some articles on how uridine is proflammatory esp. in the bowel, although they were referring to the di-phosphate form, not the mono.
Can anybody shed some light on that? are they that different?

DaveFoster

Last edited by a moderator:

StrongMom

I tried 50mg powder and felt low and depressed. It bought my mood way down. Anyone else experience this or know why this happens after supplementation with Uridine?

I tried 250mg for a week. After a significant weight gain and feeling depressed, I decided to stop. I suffer from insomnia and clearly have some liver issues, but it doesn't seem to help. I wonder why.

NathanK

@natedawggh

After a year, what you think of uridinenow? Or all you all in on taurine now:handok:. Have you improved your TG numbers?

I see someone posted a link to powdercity monophosphate version. Here's another version:
Triacetyluridine (TAU) Powder

Apparently this stuff helps increase phospholipid synthesis and is a precursor to choline (which would explain the liver benefit claims).

nullredvector

so I went down a rabbit hole on glucuronidation, uridine, and Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Glucuronosyltransferases are responsible for the process of glucuronidation, a major part of phase II metabolism. Arguably the most important of the Phase II (conjugative) enzymes, UGTs have been the subject of increasing scientific inquiry since the mid-to-late 1990s. (Glucuronosyltransferase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A deficiency in the bilirubin specific form of glucuronosyltransferase is thought to be the cause of Gilbert's syndrome, which is characterized by unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia. (Glucuronosyltransferase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Oral calcium phosphate and carbonate to form complexes with bilirubin in the gut (Crigler–Najjar syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Neonatal jaundice may develop in the presence of sepsis, hypoxia, hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, galactosemia, fructosemia, etc. (Crigler–Najjar syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Dietary sources of uridine: Sugarcane extract, Tomatoes (0.5 to 1.0 g uridine per kilogram dry weight), Brewer’s yeast (1.7% uridine by dry weight), Beer, Broccoli, Offal (liver, pancreas, etc.) (Uridine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

UDP is an important factor in glycogenesis. Before glucose can be stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles, the enzyme UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase forms a UDP-glucose unit by combining glucose 1-phosphate with uridine triphosphate, cleaving a pyrophosphate ion in the process. Then, the enzyme glycogen synthase combines UDP-glucose units to form a glycogen chain. The UDP molecule is cleaved from the glucose ring during this process and can be reused by UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase.[1][2] (Uridine diphosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Another of my conditions is very high cortisol: I developed a significant amount of abdominal fat and stretch marks (in areas that are not fat) which is an obvious, outward sign of very high cortisol. This study confirms that cortisol depletes Uridine, and the absence of cortisol increases Uridine: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie (Uridine Monophosphate For Fatty Liver/weight Problems/depression/anxiety/insomnia)

In humans, galactosemia is a disorder that affects the development of newborns and children as they cannot metabolize the sugar galactose properly. It is speculated that overexpression of UDP-Glucose pyrophosphorylase may relieve symptoms in humans with galactosemia.[8] (https://goo.gl/yeieNh)

Not sure what this means: The enzyme [UDP–glucose pyrophosphorylase] has also been found to be required for the biosynthesis of capsular polysaccharide, an important virulence factor of streptococcus pneumoniae, a bacterial cause of pneumonia, bronchitis, and other breathing issues.[9]

Hepatocellular injury in Streptococcus pneumoniae-associated hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. - "In all patients the rise in total bilirubin was 7-15 times normal." (https://goo.gl/lo5y4E)

rT3 is metabolized by UGT enzymes: " rT3 was the preferred substrate for both isoenzymes" (https://goo.gl/e47hGY)

ddjd

From a Ray Peat view of the organism (humans), it is generally viewed that all degenerative conditions are interrelated in one way or another. As is in my experience, mental and physical problems go hand in hand and rarely ever present singularly. The major themes of my struggles have been: depression/low energy, weight gain, thyroid and liver troubles, and severe insomnia.

I happened on a discussion here where Haidut mentioned Uridine. It piqued my curiosity and I have been doing some research into it. Uridine is common but only in low concentrations, and only exists in fresh food (meats especially). It, along with other nucleotides are vital to the life process, and the only Peat friendly source from which Uridine is found in high amounts is in human breast milk. This is interesting because the breast milk contains everything to sustain rapid and demanding human growth, and many of the other ingredients: calcium, protein, etc. we can attain from other sources once grown. Nucleotides we cannot get as easily.

In my reading I've come across some interesting studies on Uridine: it is commonly being used to treat psychiatric illnesses with great success. A recent study into bipolar treatment with Uridine found it successfully relieved conditions by sufferers: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=13451540

The medical establishment often regards mental and physical conditions as separate, but this is ridiculous because the mental part of ourselves is nothing but biology, and the same processes that govern the mind govern the rest of the body.

Uridine was also found in this rat study to completely suppress fatty liver conditions and restore hepatic (liver) mitochondrial activity. This study greatly interested me because I have very high triglycerides and a sluggish, fatty liver, and health truly does start and end with the liver. It also increased NAD+, which is regarded as a good thing. Disruption of uridine homeostasis links liver pyrimidine metabolism to lipid accumulation

Uridine also increased mitochondrial activity in HIV patients whose activity was suppressed by anti-viral drugs. The crux of Ray Peat's work is to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of mitochondria. Uridine supplementation enhances hepatic mitochondrial function in thymidine-analogue treated HIV-infected patients

Another of my conditions is very high cortisol: I developed a significant amount of abdominal fat and stretch marks (in areas that are not fat) which is an obvious, outward sign of very high cortisol. This study confirms that cortisol depletes Uridine, and the absence of cortisol increases Uridine: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs ... V94-EK25kc

This study also shows the different compositions at different times of day of the nucleotides in breast milk: https://www.borstvoeding.com/files/sanc ... otides.pdf
It is interesting to see that uridine concentration is at the highest in the evening and at night, the most stressful time of day for humans, and I have seen reports that Uridine helps or makes some people sleepy (this would be great for my insomnia!) but I also wonder if, like cortisol and melatonin, it might have negative effects with long term exposure. I'm guessing since it's in breast milk in high concentrations, it probably is more beneficial than not.

I've ordered some uridine (it's not commonly available but some brands do have it—I always avoid any supplements with silica in them). And will update this post with my experience. If anyone else has used Uridine please let us know if it has helped in any way!
Is it also anti Adrenaline?

magnesiumania

So i did about half a 300mg capsule of Uridine Monophosphate. What have i noticed? Absolutly nothing. Will try another 150mg later today.