Uric acid in metabolic syndrome: From an innocent bystander to a central player

OP
David PS

David PS

What is the effect of urea supplementation on uric acid levels, if any?
How does urea convert to uric acid?

The short answer is it doesn’t! Both urea and uric acid are two different compounds. uric acid is C5H4N4O3 while urea is (NH2)2CO.

If you’ve read the rest of the content of this article you should know what urea and uric acid are but just to recap;

Urea removes ammonia from the body through urination. Many urine screenings now screen for urea and if it is not found it will return the result as non-human.

Uric acid excretes purines from the body if there is an excess amount of uric acid in the blood it can cause conditions such as kidney stones and gout.

Dave Clark

Try not to be too dismissive. Here are some all cause mortality curves for uric acid for you to consider.

jah32966-fig-0002.gif
I am not dismissive. Uric acid may very well be a problem for certain people. Years ago they made people feel high cholesterol, their version of high, was harmful, until science found out 'low' cholesterol caused high risk for strokes. Anything 'too' high is a problem, regardless what it is, but my point is, uric acid will be the new darling of all cause disease and mortality to these so called experts. And, when they turned enough people off to meat and animal products, those people will all be having the problems Peat talks about by not consuming those foods. They did the same thing with salt and sugar. I am not saying high uric acid is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that moderate levels are a bad thing, yet, I want to see more real science to confirm that assertion. Here are both sides of the story {don't forget to scroll to the benefits part}: Is there anything good in uric acid?

How does urea convert to uric acid?

The short answer is it doesn’t! Both urea and uric acid are two different compounds. uric acid is C5H4N4O3 while urea is (NH2)2CO.

If you’ve read the rest of the content of this article you should know what urea and uric acid are but just to recap;

Urea removes ammonia from the body through urination. Many urine screenings now screen for urea and if it is not found it will return the result as non-human.

Uric acid excretes purines from the body if there is an excess amount of uric acid in the blood it can cause conditions such as kidney stones and gout.

Thank you very much.

OP
David PS

David PS

Uric acid is now the new boogie man. Move over oxalates, there is another food source to avoid. Geez, when will this end. Interesting how vitamin C is said in the article to help with uric acid, yet the uric acid fear mongers say vitamin C over 250 mg/day can contribute to uric acid crystal formation. Uric acid, in proper levels can be beneficial, I think Peat agrees with that: Uric acid provides an antioxidant defense in humans against oxidant- and radical-caused aging and cancer: a hypothesis - PubMed.
There is no food or substance in said foods that have not been turned into the boogie man at some time in recent history. This uric acid scare will turn more people to plant-based, estrogen and PUFA rich foods, such a shame. Again, context, individuality, and moderation are key.

Thanks, I apologize for considering your statement about uric acid being a boogie man as being dismissive. I also agree that uric acid in proper levels can be beneficial. The article you cited was published in 1981. Since then science has progressed and there is now additional information that hints that there is an optimal range; a range within the range that was previously established as being beneficial.
I am not dismissive. Uric acid may very well be a problem for certain people. Years ago they made people feel high cholesterol, their version of high, was harmful, until science found out 'low' cholesterol caused high risk for strokes. Anything 'too' high is a problem, regardless what it is, but my point is, uric acid will be the new darling of all cause disease and mortality to these so called experts. And, when they turned enough people off to meat and animal products, those people will all be having the problems Peat talks about by not consuming those foods. They did the same thing with salt and sugar. I am not saying high uric acid is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that moderate levels are a bad thing, yet, I want to see more real science to confirm that assertion. Here are both sides of the story {don't forget to scroll to the benefits part}: Is there anything good in uric acid?
Thanks for the reference.

Dave Clark

Thanks, I apologize for considering your statement about uric acid being a boogie man as being dismissive. I also agree that uric acid in proper levels can be beneficial. The article you cited was published in 1981. Since then science has progressed and there is now additional information that hints that there is an optimal range; a range within the range that was previously established as being beneficial.

Thanks for the reference.
Thanks. I guess my initial reaction is that many things get tagged as 'bad', and then the main stream health media/experts run with it before looking at it in a broader spectrum. I agree that we have to keep up with the current science. I take notice that Peat often references studies done decades ago, and I always wonder if he keep up with current research, or if he just feels it isn't valid. I do remember reading that women have less gout than men, and the explanation was that estrogen helps clear uric acid from the body, and generally, women have more estrogen than men. Since many who follow Peat do things to reduce estrogen, it may be good to watch that the diet doesn't have too many foods that raise uric acid. Yes, I am not dismissive of things like oxalates and uric acid, etc., in fact I pay attention to what foods I eat that contain/produce these. For me, I believe a 'mixed' diet is the best and always considering moderation of any food group, for various reasons.

aliml

Uric acid is an innocent bystander that inhibits lipid peroxidation. Fatty acid oxidation is a central player in gout, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and more.

Xanthine oxidase inhibitors actually reduce uric acid by inhibiting the oxidation of fatty acids.

P

Peatness

Gout/High Uric Acid​

Raw carrot or (boiled) bamboo shoots and aspirin, to lower endotoxin absorption.

OP
David PS

David PS

Uric acid is an innocent bystander that inhibits lipid peroxidation. Fatty acid oxidation is a central player in gout, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and more.

It appears that there are still issues with regard to whether uric acid is truly an innocent bystander. Here is Fig 1 from the article from my original post. It might depend on how one compartmentalizes things. I do not have access to the full text of document you linked so I do not know how to reconcile the two.
1645111118069.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Xanthine oxidase inhibitors actually reduce uric acid by inhibiting the oxidation of fatty acids.

Maybe, I do not know how the inhibitors work. I am supplementing with quercetin. Dr. Perlmutter stated that 500 mg works as well as some pharmaceuticals.

OP
David PS

David PS

Gout/High Uric Acid​

Raw carrot or (boiled) bamboo shoots and aspirin, to lower endotoxin absorption.

Thanks I use aspirin and eat raw carrots. These may also be influencing uric acid levels.

aliml

It appears that there are still issues with regard to whether uric acid is truly an innocent bystander. Here is Fig 1 from the article from my original post. It might depend on how one compartmentalizes things. I do not have access to the full text of document you linked so I do not know how to reconcile the two.
View attachment 33655

Elevated plasma free fatty acids play a major role in the development and progression of all three diseases, and elevated uric acid is only to prevent the oxidation of free fatty acids.

OP
David PS

David PS

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

How much did the quercetin and cherries reduce your uric acid?
My uric acid was reported as 3.30. It is lower than I wanted.

OP
David PS

David PS

what do you mostly attribute to lowering it? have you made any noticeable findings since then?
3.30 was my baseline value and I have not done any testing since then. I have a very good diet and I have not changed anythng to try to impact my uric acid levels. I am still interested in uric acid (among other things) and I found this video to be informative.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCE_Av2fDr0

OP
David PS

David PS

Andy316

@David PS How are your uric acid levels now? Did keeping a low fructose diet and supplementing quercetin help keep it at normal levels? I read when xanthine oxidase activity (uric acid) is high, even glucose gets converted to sorbitol and eventually fructose.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals