Uric acid in metabolic syndrome: From an innocent bystander to a central player

David PS

Dr. Perlmutter has been marketing his soon-to-be released book entitled "Drop Acid: The Surprising New Science of Uric Acid―The Key to Losing Weight, Controlling Blood Sugar, and Achieving Extraordinary Health". The game authors play these days is to get as many pre-orders as possible so that their book hits the best list even before it is available for sale (starting February 15th). The good news is that when the book is based on scientific literature, much of the science is easily discoverable. Of course, buy the book to get the complete story.

Uric acid in metabolic syndrome: From an innocent bystander to a central player (2015)

My uric acid levels have always been tested to be with the desired laboratory range which I interpreted as confirmation that I do have gout. Unsurprisingly, there is an optimal range that falls within the laboratory range based on mortality.
U-Shaped Association Between Serum Uric Acid Levels With Cardiovascular and All-Cause Mortality in the Elderly: The Role of Malnourishment (2018)

If you are interested, Dr. Perlmutter has posted a plan to help lower a high lab value into the most desired range.

Some other articles related to uric acid for the insomniacs among us:

Uric Acid in Inflammation and the Pathogenesis of Atherosclerosis (2021)

An evidence-based review on urate-lowering treatments: implications for optimal treatment of chronic hyperuricemia - PubMed (2017)

Hyperuricaemia and gout in cardiovascular, metabolic and kidney disease - PubMed (2020)

Uric Acid in Inflammation and the Pathogenesis of Atherosclerosis - PubMed (2021)

Kram

Lemon juice is supposed to be great at lowering uric acid levels.

golder

Lemon juice is supposed to be great at lowering uric acid levels.
Didn't know this, thanks. Do you know anything else that would help lower it to a more healthy range. Mine was well well above the higher end of the reference range.

Dave Clark

Uric acid is now the new boogie man. Move over oxalates, there is another food source to avoid. Geez, when will this end. Interesting how vitamin C is said in the article to help with uric acid, yet the uric acid fear mongers say vitamin C over 250 mg/day can contribute to uric acid crystal formation. Uric acid, in proper levels can be beneficial, I think Peat agrees with that: Uric acid provides an antioxidant defense in humans against oxidant- and radical-caused aging and cancer: a hypothesis - PubMed.
There is no food or substance in said foods that have not been turned into the boogie man at some time in recent history. This uric acid scare will turn more people to plant-based, estrogen and PUFA rich foods, such a shame. Again, context, individuality, and moderation are key.

golder

Uric acid is now the new boogie man. Move over oxalates, there is another food source to avoid. Geez, when will this end. Interesting how vitamin C is said in the article to help with uric acid, yet the uric acid fear mongers say vitamin C over 250 mg/day can contribute to uric acid crystal formation. Uric acid, in proper levels can be beneficial, I think Peat agrees with that: Uric acid provides an antioxidant defense in humans against oxidant- and radical-caused aging and cancer: a hypothesis - PubMed.
There is no food or substance in said foods that have not been turned into the boogie man at some time in recent history. This uric acid scare will turn more people to plant-based, estrogen and PUFA rich foods, such a shame. Again, context, individuality, and moderation are key.
Agree with you. Uric acid seems to be one of the most important antioxidants. The only reason I ask is because I’m getting moderate pain in my toe joints and levels are 30+% above the reference range.

frannybananny

Didn't know this, thanks. Do you know anything else that would help lower it to a more healthy range. Mine was well well above the higher end of the reference range.
Tart cherries or tart cherry juice and celery will lower uric acid... it also comes in a supplement but I put the juice concentrate in smoothies and yogurt.

frannybananny

Tart cherries or tart cherry juice and celery will lower uric acid... it also comes in a supplement but I put the juice concentrate in smoothies and yogurt.
Also, if you have ever studied Homeopathy there is one remedy that has been used for ages against gout or gouty conditions. Here is a very detailed description of the remedy Cochicum which is based on the medicine Colchicine but without any of the dangerous side effects.

OP
David PS

David PS

Another supplement is luteolin. It is said to be as effective a pharmaceutical drug is for gout.

I have been taking tart cherry for about a month and I plan to test after I reach the two month mark. My last blood test was March 9, 2021 and my uric acid level was listed as normal at 6.2. Dr. Perlmutter recommends getting the number down to 4.5.

Incidentally, I noticed that Amazon sells uric acid monitoring devices.

frannybananny

Also, if you have ever studied Homeopathy there is one remedy that has been used for ages against gout or gouty conditions. Here is a very detailed description of the remedy Cochicum which is based on the medicine Colchicine but without any of the dangerous side effects.

You might also try the powerful antioxidant Astaxanthin to lower levels of Xanthine Oxidase which promotes Hyper-Uracemia. Recently there was patented a highly absorbable form of Astaxanthin called ValAsta ....mucho $$ but worth it if it can prevent the effects of gout and cardiovascular risks of constant high Uric acid.

OP
David PS

David PS

Try not to be too dismissive. Here are some all cause mortality curves for uric acid for you to consider.

jah32966-fig-0002.gif

nomoreketones

Funny, I came across this post started today after I listened to a Rick Johnson being interviewed by Peter Attia. Uric Acid was one of the major themes in that interview.

The idea is that high Uric Acid levels increases the aldose reductase enzyme. This enzyme is responsible for converting glucose to sorbitol. Sorbitol is converted into fructose by the body.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02z9mqTWzg

OP
David PS

David PS

Funny, I came across this post started today after I listened to a Rick Johnson being interviewed by Peter Attia. Uric Acid was one of the major themes in that interview.

The idea is that high Uric Acid levels increases the aldose reductase enzyme. This enzyme is responsible for converting glucose to sorbitol. Sorbitol is converted into fructose by the body.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02z9mqTWzg

Thanks I am listening to it now.

OP
David PS

David PS

Conclusions. Our results suggest that uric acid, the end product of purine metabolism, was increased in deceased patients with COVID-19. In addition, the serum level of uric acid was positively associated with inflammatory markers. Uric acid lowering therapy in COVID-19 patients with hyperuricemia may be beneficial.

P

Peatness

Years ago before coming to Peat’s work I used to collect random nutrition quotes in a word document. I found these about uric acid. Sorry I don’t have references for any of them.

Vitamin A prevents the build up of uric acid.

Pantothenic acid enhances adrenal functions, reduces elevated uric acid levels and inflammatory response.

B5 and Inositol reduce uric acid

Vitamin A, E, and B5 deficiency produce excess uric acid.

Fructose intake causes biochemical reactions that stop protein synthesis and increase oxidative stress and inflammation. Fructose generates uric acid.

Low gastric acid ==>poor digestion ==> more uric acid ==> gout

Vitamin C, Quercetin, and Nettle leaves help excrete uric acid

A deficiency in calcium, magnesium or potassium leads to higher levels of uric acid in the blood

A pH value lower than 5.4 indicates extreme acidity, and will prevent the uric acid from dissolving in your urine. Sodium bicarbonate increases the excretion of calcium so Potassium citrate is better for lowering uric acid.

Taurine decreased uric acid levels in hyperuricemic rats and alleviated kidney injury.

A recent addition

OP
David PS

David PS

Years ago before coming to Peat’s work I used to collect random nutrition quotes in a word document. I found these about uric acid. Sorry I don’t have references for any of them.

Vitamin A prevents the build up of uric acid.

Pantothenic acid enhances adrenal functions, reduces elevated uric acid levels and inflammatory response.

B5 and Inositol reduce uric acid

Vitamin A, E, and B5 deficiency produce excess uric acid.

Fructose intake causes biochemical reactions that stop protein synthesis and increase oxidative stress and inflammation. Fructose generates uric acid.

Low gastric acid ==>poor digestion ==> more uric acid ==> gout

Vitamin C, Quercetin, and Nettle leaves help excrete uric acid

A deficiency in calcium, magnesium or potassium leads to higher levels of uric acid in the blood

A pH value lower than 5.4 indicates extreme acidity, and will prevent the uric acid from dissolving in your urine. Sodium bicarbonate increases the excretion of calcium so Potassium citrate is better for lowering uric acid.

Taurine decreased uric acid levels in hyperuricemic rats and alleviated kidney injury.

A recent addition

Thank you. I had a blood test today that includes uric acid level. I have used quercetin and tart cherries. I am curious about how they have lowered my blood uric acid.

Dave Clark

I wonder if any of the members here using inosine have had their uric acid levels checked. According to the studies, it took close to 3 grams/day to raise levels, where most people use one third of that or less.

golder

Thank you. I had a blood test today that includes uric acid level. I have used quercetin and tart cherries. I am curious about how they have lowered my blood uric acid.
How much did the quercetin and cherries reduce your uric acid?

OP
David PS

David PS

How much did the quercetin and cherries reduce your uric acid?
It will take 2-3 days before my lab results arrive in the mail.

With regard to quercetin and tart cherries, these were the two items that I added to may diet. Perhaps more importantly, I reduced the amount of high fructose foods (honey, dates and figs) and some high purine foods (asparagus). There are lots of food lists on the internet related to reducing uric acid.