Urge To Take A Deep Breath/inhalation Sometimes

Dante

As the heading says, i get an urge/tendency to take a deep breath in between regular intervals (most likely due to mental stress and the corresponding hyperventilation). I have noticed that breaths are shallow too. What do you think is an ideal breathing rate per min(mine is around 16-18 breaths/min) ? Has anyone had this issue and corrected it with breathing exercises like butyeko etc. ?

Rad

As the heading says, i get an urge/tendency to take a deep breath in between regular intervals (most likely due to mental stress and the corresponding hyperventilation). I have noticed that breaths are shallow too. What do you think is an ideal breathing rate per min(mine is around 16-18 breaths/min) ? Has anyone had this issue and corrected it with breathing exercises like butyeko etc. ?

I had an issue like this but never resolved it. I was lucky that it went away through god knows how.

However I wouldn't advise Butyeko style breathing as the restriction of the diaphragm can make matters worse, according to what I have read. You may initially find some help from the reduced stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system, perhaps that would even be enough to get you moving on past the anxiety but I think the restriction, if you carried on for a decent length of time, might be problematic.

I've used a Samozdrav device which allows normal diaphragm movement but has the same effect as Butyeko. I still wouldn't advise it but if you want this CO2 raising type of thing, that would be my bet.

Also, whilst you can reduce breathing rate and control anxiety, I'm not sure that it tackles the anxiety. Unless there is some solely organic reason for your shallow breaths, far better to tackle it somewhat, more head on. Caveat: I am a brain fog ridden guy and suffering particularly hard this morning and may be talking out my @%! I'm having a hard time seeing if what I'm writing makes sense.

I would have a look into Michael White. The videos on Youtube give some idea on what he does to work with the breath. Maybe this is more than you want to do.

I personally found this exercise amazing. It actually made me feel happy and stress free from some simple practice. (written instructions)

His dietary views are non-Peaty but you can ignore those if you read any further. (articles on his site)

Are you doing any exercise? I think Scott Sonnon's Flowfit dvd was amazing. It seems you can pick it up cheap on Amazon (.com and uk).

Here's some people doing examples, though it's a staged exercise and these people are probably doing the end stages. It's a simple routine, that shifts your body through a range of movements. You need to take it slowly in your unfit and it will seem hard on the legs but it breaks through muscular holding patterns like nobody's business.

I've overdone it. I'm out. Hope it's somewhat helpful.

Buteyko fixed most of my terrible health problems.

I find that NOT sighing, NOT taking a deep breath, is far better. Otherwise it's like scratching an itch, it only makes the itch worse. Best not to take a deep breath, and not to sigh or yawn. And to avoid coughing and sneezing to the greatest degree possible.

Overbreathing is responsible for most anxiety, depression and sickness.

Bag breathing when you feel this way will help a lot.

The Breathslim device is very good to practice with too.

paymanz

I guess that can be sometimes a sign that shows good co2 production in the body!

OP
D

Dante

I guess that can be sometimes a sign that shows good co2 production in the body!
I don't think, it's most likely latent hyperventilation where you breathe away CO2 faster as a doc once told me

Rad

I don't think, it's most likely latent hyperventilation where you breathe away CO2 faster as a doc once told me

I don't know if you had a look at Michael White's site but just have a look at these three articles if you haven't.

Hyperventilation May Not Be Hyperventilation

carbon Dioxide

Excuse this next, poorly formatted article. Hard to read and work out whose saying what.

Buteyko

I believe Sonnon's work will give you the co2 increase you desire. He says as much. It comes out of Russian military and martial arts background, that is aware of Buteyko. I did a lot of martias arts when younger and recognise the profound relaxation from within that comes from development of higher than normal co2 tolerance. Being strangled regularly is a most effective method rarely discussed. And physical contact with other humans is a huge stress reliever.

Practitioners of Systema (Russian special forces martial art) also mention the relaxation from within. I don't recognise it in the Buteyko practitioners I have met, so maybe it's more than co2. I think the conditioned movements patterns of the body and the breathing 'apparatus' are holding faulty breathing patterns in place.

success23

Nasal congestion, bloating and gastritis, heart disease .. a lot of things can cause shortness of breath