Upper Limit On Saturated Fat Intake In A Single Meal And Over An Entire Day?

Fractality

I recently bought coconut bread and coconut mayo to make beef sandwiches with. The slices are small, but pack a high fat punch. 2 slices provide 25G of fat, 22G of which are listed as saturated. A tablespoon of the mayo provides 10-11G of saturated fat. Last night I ate 3 sandwiches (6 slices) which with the amount of mayo I had (1-2 tablespoons) means that I ate around 100G of saturated fat within 30 minutes. I did feel a bit "off" afterwards, and after reading posts on this forum about saturated fats causing "bacterial translocation" I'm wondering if I over did it. I also regularly drink 2 quarts of goat milk which provides 75-80G of saturated fats. However that consumption is spread over the course of a day.

TeaRex14

I recently bought coconut bread and coconut mayo to make beef sandwiches with. The slices are small, but pack a high fat punch. 2 slices provide 25G of fat, 22G of which are listed as saturated. A tablespoon of the mayo provides 10-11G of saturated fat. Last night I ate 3 sandwiches (6 slices) which with the amount of mayo I had (1-2 tablespoons) means that I ate around 100G of saturated fat within 30 minutes. I did feel a bit "off" afterwards, and after reading posts on this forum about saturated fats causing "bacterial translocation" I'm wondering if I over did it. I also regularly drink 2 quarts of goat milk which provides 75-80G of saturated fats. However that consumption is spread over the course of a day.
It's probably related to the randle cycle, and how you can't process glucose well with a high fat meal. Essentially putting yourself in an acute insulin resistant state. As for how much to eat that's not an easy question to answer. Your daily carbohydrate intake, basal metabolic rate, and total caloric consumption should all be factored in. Muscular development is another factor, bigger muscles mean you burn fat more efficiently at rest.

OP
Fractality

Fractality

It's probably related to the randle cycle, and how you can't process glucose well with a high fat meal. Essentially putting yourself in an acute insulin resistant state. As for how much to eat that's not an easy question to answer. Your daily carbohydrate intake, basal metabolic rate, and total caloric consumption should all be factored in. Muscular development is another factor, bigger muscles mean you burn fat more efficiently at rest.

Yes I forgot to add that I drank a mexican cola with the high fat meal. I should probably avoid that, but I like sugar in the form of soda or juice with my dinner to help offset protein's hypoglycemic effect.

OP
Fractality

Fractality

I also speculated that the high saturated fat intake put a bit of a strain on my gallbladder; though I've never had issues with my gallbladder.

TeaRex14

It probably just relates to how many calories you need throughout the day to maintain yourself. I know hormones play a huge role in metabolic health, but at the end of the day the unpopular message of calories in calories out is still very scientifically valid. 100 grams of saturated fat is a lot of calories just from fat, but if you're still eating enough protein and sugar without jumping into a major caloric surplus then you're probably okay. If you are in a major caloric surplus, expect to gain some weight. From what I've read about the gallbladder, which is very little actually, insufficient fat intake is normally the problem and can cause gall stones. Either way, I doubt the coconut fat is influencing the gallbladder in a negative way because MCTs don't affect the gallbladder at all. They head straight to the liver for processing.

opson123

I've been eating 200-300g of milk chocolate in one sitting for over two years. That's 66-99g of fat (most of it saturated sfa>mufa>pufa) at once and I'm a small 5'5" guy. I certainly don't feel optimal, but gut-wise it's the best food for me. It's like an instant rush of semi anxiety free energy that lasts for 2-3 hours.

That much fat from some other source, like cream or whole milk or coconut, would absolutely wreck me though. Only milk chocolate in larger amounts doesn't make me feel too clogged up. Those high cocoa chocolates would also really mess up my gut.

My 2c.

Gadsie

I also think it mainly has to do with your total calorie intake (requirement). I think carbs should be your number 1 fuel. Also, while coconut is mostly saturated, it still contains PUFA, and eating a lot of coconut could lead to additional PUFA, unless it’s hydrogenized of course. 100 grams of coconut fat gives you almost 2 grams of PUFA, and 2 quarts of whole goat milk give you 3.

Cirion

My opinion of dietary fat now, saturated or otherwise. A simple test.

You want to lose weight? Lower the fats. You want to maintain or possibly gain weight? Keep fats higher. I used to use carbs as the variable to tweak body weight but I no longer believe this. Carbs are crucial for metabolism so only play with fats. I used to think SFA is safe in any quantity, and to be sure its better than PUFA, but generally, the better choice is still get calories from carbs and not fat. Now if you are really lean I think one should include a few more fats, to avoid losing too much body fat. But if you're fat, you should eat little or even no dietary fat.

@Gadsie agreed. I am now on a hypo recovery / weight loss plan and am finding with carbs as 80-90%, I have no issue keeping metabolism high while also losing weight.

It's not even calories per-se. On a per-calorie basis, I find dietary fat to be, well, fattening compared to carbs. I can eat 4000 calorie on carbs and I seem to be losing weight doing this. A 4000 calorie diet with ample fats though, and I'm gonna get fat.

Peatogenic

My opinion of dietary fat now, saturated or otherwise. A simple test.

You want to lose weight? Lower the fats. You want to maintain or possibly gain weight? Keep fats higher. I used to use carbs as the variable to tweak body weight but I no longer believe this. Carbs are crucial for metabolism so only play with fats. I used to think SFA is safe in any quantity, and to be sure its better than PUFA, but generally, the better choice is still get calories from carbs and not fat. Now if you are really lean I think one should include a few more fats, to avoid losing too much body fat. But if you're fat, you should eat little or even no dietary fat.

@Gadsie agreed. I am now on a hypo recovery / weight loss plan and am finding with carbs as 80-90%, I have no issue keeping metabolism high while also losing weight.

It's not even calories per-se. On a per-calorie basis, I find dietary fat to be, well, fattening compared to carbs. I can eat 4000 calorie on carbs and I seem to be losing weight doing this. A 4000 calorie diet with ample fats though, and I'm gonna get fat.

I agree, and would add that eating inflammatory foods seems to make gaining weight easier. I've never perceived eating higher fat to cause weight loss. I've gotten now to where I can very easily control my weight loss and weight gain by manipulating fat intake, inflammatory foods, and frequency of meals....even after just a day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals