Upper Limit Of PUFA Intake

Discussion in 'Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils' started by slayers, Apr 27, 2013.

1. slayers

slayers Member

What is the upper limit of PUFA intake per day?
    I m getting around 4-7g a day (which is 2-4f% fat)

2. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I have no clue but where do u get your pufa from?eggs?

3. Mittir

Mittir Member

In an audio interview Ray Peat mentioned PUFA below 4 grams is protective against cancer. The core idea is relative percentage of PUFA to other fatty acids ( SFA and MUFA). For example, if PUFA is 10% , MUFA 20% and SFA is 70% of your oil intake it will take 3 to 4 years for your fatty tissue to reflect that. Did your mean 4-7 grams PUFA as percentage of your calorie or percentage of your oil intake?

4. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

This made me think why lately im not feeling warm/good on days when i eat lots of cowdairy products as opposed to goat,coconutproducts and some butter....i think that i then migthve gone over the line with too much other fatcompositions as i think the type of fatstructure also plays a role then just pufa,mufa,sat.fat. at least in my shitshow case...

5. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Member

Quotes like that make me scratch my head because it is impossible to stay below 4 grams of PUFA a day if you include any eggs in your diet. So how can Peat advocate eggs in good conscience? I can only assume...

HE WANTS US TO GET CANCER!!

6. jyb

jyb Member

Forget the egg, just from milk you could very easily go over 4g. Or actually, several times 4 g. The sat/pufa ratio is not the same in milk and egg, though.

7. cliff

cliff Member

The ratio is more important than overall amounts for the most part. You could be very easily eat eggs and be way under 4g if you eat the right stuff

8. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Member

No, you can't, and I just about broke cronometer.com trying. If you think its possible, I challenge you to provide a screenshot of a full days intake of peat-approved foods, plus eggs, resulting in < 4g PUFA.

9. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

IIRC, Ray Peat recommends no more the 2 or 3 eggs a week.

10. j.

j. Guest

Yet he eats too per day, at least in the U.S., because he can't find good liver.

11. Mittir

Mittir Member

Ray Peat does not drink full fat whole milk, he drinks 1% milk. There is total of 330 mg of PUFA in one quart. In 2 quart of 1 % milk PUFA is 660 mg, not even a gram. One large egg has about 600 mg of PUFA. He talked about high PUFA content of egg and he recommends one or two eggs daily. He also said that few eggs per week. It depends on your whole diet how much PUFA you are getting and how much you need to release. As cliff mentioned in the long run tissue reflects the ratio of fatty acids break down as PUFA:MUFA:SFA.

12. jyb

jyb Member

Sorry please discard what I said about go over 4grams pufa with just milk. That won't happen until quite a few litres...

13. chris

chris Member

[​IMG]

2.1g PUFA

14. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Member

That isn't enough calories for an average sized adult of either gender and skim milk is cheating! :P

15. chris

chris Member

Thats actually what I'm eating atm as a below average, active adult. I've weight I want to lose and on a budget. Missed out a few things such as coffee, gelatin, sugar etc nothing with considerable PUFA though.

16. j.

j. Guest

Well, even Ray "cheats".

17. gretchen

gretchen Member

Hmm, I thought it was 1 per day.

18. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

I think it might be more along the lines of what Mittir said of being a few eggs a week now that he mentions it.

19. nwo2012

nwo2012 Member

From my contact with Ray, pastured eggs are ok. When I was consuming 3/day he saw no issue with it. It's the ratio that is more important than amount of PUFA. So just add in lots of saturated fats to balance out the PUFA and you would be fine. Keeping them to 2% of total fat intake or less is safe.

20. Jake sullivan

Jake sullivan Member

Im definetly interested in almost achieving complete ( or as close as possible ) essential fatty acid deficiency, i keep my PUFA around 0.5g -1g per day, usually around 0.5g, im very interested to see how close i can get to this, im on year 2 of avoiding PUFA year 1 i would eat maybe 5g or above sometimes now this year has been a mostly fat free diet