Update-how I Made Thyroid Supplements To Work

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This Is pretty interesting, as a celiac I started eating almost only only potatoes and some corn porridges And doing very well. The problem with only fruit diet as a source of carbs Is that I must eat very often and have heartburn from some fruits.
I feel like it took my digestion a little time to acclimate.
I’m certainly not against starch for everyone but I was interested to see what all the fuss was about. It was probably the only Peaty idea I hadn’t tried yet.

Broken man

I’m certainly not against starch for everyone but I was interested to see what all the fuss was about. It was probably the only Peaty idea I hadn’t tried yet.
Ye, I am with you, IT seems that women have more success with fruit And also the amount od calories Is important And Area where Are you living. I am from Europe And if I should go with local fruits, I would must eat huge amount of fiber because apples And pears are most eaten here Now. But bananas And pinneapples are okay for me to get my calories but more expensive.

Collden

Thats interesting, what is your diet like now? Are you still also doing low VA/oxalates?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thats interesting, what is your diet like now? Are you still also doing low VA/oxalates?
Yes, it’s pretty pared down and customized for me and by me through experimenting. I’m pretty sure it would not be appealing to most people. My veggie selection is highly limited (4-5 veggies I currently consume but not all of them daily) and I do get more A than I did early on in the form of small amounts of goat dairy and cow butter and cream. I average about 20% of my RDI for A according to chronometer. I have mostly animal foods as the main part of my diet like meat and collagen and the smaller amounts dairy I mentioned above. I did a month of no plants as an elimination diet and then gradually added back things 1 at a time as I tested them out. I’m still testing things right now so I’m sure it will continue to change. As of now honey is currently my main carb.
The oxalate and beta carotene reactions along with my history of being floxed convinced me to start delving into how different plants were impacting me.

Collden

Yes, it’s pretty pared down and customized for me and by me through experimenting. I’m pretty sure it would not be appealing to most people. My veggie selection is highly limited (4-5 veggies I currently consume but not all of them daily) and I do get more A than I did early on in the form of small amounts of goat dairy and cow butter and cream. I average about 20% of my RDI for A according to chronometer. I have mostly animal foods as the main part of my diet like meat and collagen and the smaller amounts dairy I mentioned above. I did a month of no plants as an elimination diet and then gradually added back things 1 at a time as I tested them out. I’m still testing things right now so I’m sure it will continue to change. As of now honey is currently my main carb.
The oxalate and beta carotene reactions along with my history of being floxed convinced me to start delving into how different plants were impacting me.
I tried a no-starch diet for around 6 months many years ago, thinking back its the only time I didn't have a bloated stomach and effortlessly lost weight, but I don't remember why I abandoned it. Could be eating nothing but milk and fruits was creating issues with too much liquids and not enough salt, maybe getting more meat (great vehicle for salt) and concentrated sources of sugar like you do is key.

Any sleep issues doing this? If there's one thing I think (boiled) starch does well is to promote relaxation/sleep.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I tried a no-starch diet for around 6 months many years ago, thinking back its the only time I didn't have a bloated stomach and effortlessly lost weight, but I don't remember why I abandoned it. Could be eating nothing but milk and fruits was creating issues with too much liquids and not enough salt, maybe getting more meat (great vehicle for salt) and concentrated sources of sugar like you do is key.

Any sleep issues doing this? If there's one thing I think (boiled) starch does well is to promote relaxation/sleep.
In the first week or two it seemed a little challenging and I’d have a couple spoons of honey before bed to help me fall asleep and stay asleep easier.

CLASH

I've been doing no starch for a few years now. In my experience, it works best if more fat is included in the diet, especially before bed (as @corvetteseeker implied with refernce to starch). This slows down digestion a bit, allowing a meal to last longer.

It seems to me that protein and sugar digest relatively quickly, whereas starches and fats take a bit longer. I think the starches take longer because it takes time for digestive enzymes to interact with and cleave the glucose bonds in the structur of the starch, especially amylose. Amylopectin, is easier to digest but its structure holds more water than amylose, so it can induce the feeling of fullness. As for fats I think they take longer due to the need to be emulsified and micelized by bile acids where they enter the intestinal cells and are then packaged into chylomicrons. So both add time to digestion.

The stark differences here are that:

1) starch is an easy target for microbial growth whereas fat is not, in fact considering the entire system it induces (chylomicrons, bile acids, specific fatty acids, liver detoxification, endotoxin binding) fat is anti-microbial. Furthermore, I think once bacteria are able to capitalize on the starch, they produce bacterial endproducts that lower overall metabolism. I notice after a few days of chronic starch consumption my body temp drops and so does my appetite, whereas when I initially eat starch I get massive spikes in temperature (I think this is becuase of the massive increase of glucose without the bacterial endproducts forming yet).

2) fat enhances digestion overall by 1) inducing the release of bile acids that enhance brush boarder enzyme function, particularly in the digestion of proteins 2) allowing for the uptake if fat soluble compounds and 3) functioning in the protection and maintenance of the gut epithelium.

Furthermore, it would seem based on our digestive physiology and anatomy, as @cinderella alluded to, humans are uniquely adapted to digesting fruit and meats and fats. Certain groups of humans with a history of chronic starch consumption seem to have adapted to digesting more starches (for example increased amylase) similar to how certain humans with a history of chronically eating dairy have adapted to digesting more dairy (lactase persistence)however, I think at the baseline humans overall digestive physiology and anatomy is uniquely geared towards fruit (our great ape origins) and meat (our human adaptation on that great ape origin).

As an aside, in regards to weightloss (as @Blossom mentioned), both fruitarians and keto people are notorious for losing massive amounts of body fat and staying relatively lean. While I do not espouse either diet, I think they are great examples of the fact that neither sugars (particularly fruit juice/ fruit) nor saturated fats are good for gaining weight. On the contrary, if you are fat they will make you lose weight overtime until you reach a relatively lean baseline. Starch (especially refined sources) and PUFA however is wonderful for producing weight gain over time.

EDIT: tuber based starches are in my experience, in thier own category to some extent overall. I dont think they have the same negative effects as grain based starches, although in my experince overall they are inferior to fruits, meats and fat.

Last edited:

yoshiesque

In one of Ray Peat's emails he wrote to me that it's IMPORTANT to avoid starches if you consume cane sugar.
Are u able to paste the threads between u and rays emails here? Censor anything u feel is personal to you. Thank you

also in Dr. Peat's email he said in WINTER...I think the key point is thyroid function is worse in Winter and starches may slow down metabolism.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

@cinderella I’m so happy to hear this update from you. I do seem to do better off starch during the day but I sleep better when I have starch at dinner. If you don’t mind me asking, how was/is your sleep and libido before and after making this change?
@corvetteseeker thank you so much for saying that. My sleep is really good and my libido is better than before.
I had struggled with insomnia for 10+ years and used to think that starches helped me improve sleep quality. I was surprised to find out that removing starches didn't have a negative effect on my sleep.
I think that in my case, impaired liver function and digestion contributed to the issue. Initially I lowered fructose and overall fat intake when I still ate starches; to improve liver function, which I found very helpful. I followed that protocol for about 4 months.
Now, I'm able to eat as much fruits and honey as I crave without my sleep being affected. Having sufficient calories is important as well.
How's your sleep?

OP
D

dreamcatcher

This Is pretty interesting, as a celiac I started eating almost only only potatoes and some corn porridges And doing very well. The problem with only fruit diet as a source of carbs Is that I must eat very often and have heartburn from some fruits.
@Broken man if you increase protein intake from meat, eggs, dairy and seafood, that might help with having to eat too often. You also need fat.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

also in Dr. Peat's email he said in WINTER...I think the key point is thyroid function is worse in Winter and starches may slow down metabolism.
Danny Roddy also had to increase the amount of thyroid supplements he takes, when he visited Japan..

Nemo

Since the change, on the same amount of thyroid supplements my pulse rate is between 75-80 and my temperature is 37C° during the day. My energy levels are great.

Wow, thanks for this helpful info. I'm not taking thyroid at this point, but I'm going to try this anyway, see if I can make my own work a little better.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

I've been doing no starch for a few years now. In my experience, it works best if more fat is included in the diet, especially before bed (as @corvetteseeker implied with refernce to starch). This slows down digestion a bit, allowing a meal to last longer.

It seems to me that protein and sugar digest relatively quickly, whereas starches and fats take a bit longer. I think the starches take longer because it takes time for digestive enzymes to interact with and cleave the glucose bonds in the structur of the starch, especially amylose. Amylopectin, is easier to digest but its structure holds more water than amylose, so it can induce the feeling of fullness. As for fats I think they take longer due to the need to be emulsified and micelized by bile acids where they enter the intestinal cells and are then packaged into chylomicrons. So both add time to digestion.

1) starch is an easy target for microbial growth whereas fat is not, in fact considering the entire system it induces (chylomicrons, bile acids, specific fatty acids, liver detoxification, endotoxin binding) fat is anti-microbial. Furthermore, I think once bacteria are able to capitalize on the starch, they produce bacterial endproducts that lower overall metabolism. I notice after a few days of chronic starch consumption my body temp drops and so does my appetite, whereas when I initially eat starch I get massive spikes in temperature (I think this is becuase of the massive increase of glucose without the bacterial endproducts forming yet).

2) fat enhances digestion overall by 1) inducing the release of bile acids that enhance brush boarder enzyme function, particularly in the digestion of proteins 2) allowing for the uptake if fat soluble compounds and 3) functioning in the protection and maintenance of the gut epithelium.

Furthermore, it would seem based on our digestive physiology and anatomy, as @cinderella alluded to, humans are uniquely adapted to digesting fruit and meats and fats. Certain groups of humans with a history of chronic starch consumption seem to have adapted to digesting more starches (for example increased amylase) similar to how certain humans with a history of chronically eating dairy have adapted to digesting more dairy (lactase persistence)however, I think at the baseline humans overall digestive physiology and anatomy is uniquely geared towards fruit (our great ape origins) and meat (our human adaptation on that great ape origin).

As an aside, in regards to weightloss (as @Blossom mentioned), both fruitarians and keto people are notorious for losing massive amounts of body fat and staying relatively lean. While I do not espouse either diet, I think they are great examples of the fact that neither sugars (particularly fruit juice/ fruit) nor saturated fats are good for gaining weight. On the contrary, if you are fat they will make you lose weight overtime until you reach a relatively lean baseline. Starch (especially refined sources) and PUFA however is wonderful for producing weight gain over time.

EDIT: tuber based starches are in my experience, in thier own category to some extent overall. I dont think they have the same negative effects as grain based starches, although in my experince overall they are inferior to fruits, meats and fat.
Thank you very much for the great input!

Collden

Interesting, couple of other users like kreeese and natedawggh also found going high in both fat and sugar was necessary to optimize their thyroid. Peat is rather fat-phobic but I'd note that many populations (French, Austrian, Swiss) get close to 40% of their calories as fat and yet are quite lean.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I'd note that many populations (French, Austrian, Swizz) get close to 40% of their calories as fat and yet are quite lean.
Interesting, thank you!

Whoops on that last post... @cinderella - that’s awesome about your sleep and libido. What about your weight? I have a very sedentary lifestyle and tend to pack on the pounds quite easily. This is the main thing preventing me from diving into your approach whole heartedly. Also, I have a very tough time getting sleepy without starch and also tend to sleep more lightly. I think I would have to really amp up the fat and honey to improve this but then I am worried about the fat gain.