"Up" vote a response

Edward

It would be cool to be able to "up" vote a response, or "down" vote. Sometimes you want to basically agree with a person but then the thread would be like 60 pages long. I think there might a be a few a few MODS that to add this functionality but not sure if they are maintained anymore.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Edward, I have not seen any mods with that function for this version of forum software.

Attachments

• Cortisol 101 _and Hormones 101_.pdf
    679.4 KB · Views: 447
J

j.

I vote down this suggestion. I've seen people in other forums get obsessed about their reputation points. It's bad for relaxation.

OP
Edward

Edward

Thanks Charlie.

j. said:
I vote down this suggestion. I've seen people in other forums get obsessed about their reputation points. It's bad for relaxation.

Just an anonymous like or dislike of the post on a thread was what I was meaning. Like a +1. The like would be tied to the specific response, for the usefulness of the response, not the usefulness or otherwise of the user.

For example, just now, instead of having to fill the screen with your comment a simple -1 or thumbs down.

I agree with your basic concern though. I was also thinking from a usability standpoint, there a lot of instances where people are going back and forth basically agreeing or disagreeing with one another diluting the meat of the content over a large span of pages. So I was thinking along the lines of how you could dynamically discourage useless posts without direct administration to make information easier to shift through.

Perhaps something to consider for the future when the trolls arrive.

jyb

Other functionalities that would be good are:
- a "save" button, to save a reference to a particular post in one's own bookmarks
- to reduce the display size of posts: for readability the posts margins could be compressed. A post with just one line takes up a lot of screen space due to unused space and big margins - in those cases conversations are more difficult to follow, as one as to scroll down a and turn pages for not much.

4peatssake

Edward said:

:shock: Are you expecting them anytime soon?

Edward said:
I was also thinking from a usability standpoint, there a lot of instances where people are going back and forth basically agreeing or disagreeing with one another diluting the meat of the content over a large span of pages. So I was thinking along the lines of how you could dynamically discourage useless posts without direct administration to make information easier to shift through.

Proper organization of the already wealth of information here is a Herculean task which will get done I think in time. We are young. ;)

I, for one, am rather reluctant to manage people's communication styles and discourage or encourage discussion one way or the other. None of us has a monopoly on the Truth. It often comes out in the strangest of circumstances. I'd hate to miss those spontaneous moments by influencing the flow of information.

What you or I consider "meat" may be potatoes or table scraps to someone else. It's a subjective judgment and free and open communication I think is more in the spirit of this community and Ray Peat.

This is a one room school house where all are welcomed. Not all of us learn the same way.

jyb said:
- a "save" button, to save a reference to a particular post in one's own bookmarks
- to reduce the display size of posts: for readability the posts margins could be compressed. A post with just one line takes up a lot of screen space due to unused space and big margins - in those cases conversations are more difficult to follow, as one as to scroll down a and turn pages for not much.

I'm sure that Charlie will look at all this, jyb. I know for myself that I cut and paste a lot of information and am building my own database of material. You can of course subscribe to a thread and there are other functions I am still learning.

Thanks for the ideas and discussion! Good food for thought!

Dan W

Edward said:
Sometimes you want to basically agree with a person but then the thread would be like 60 pages long.

I've thought this too, that it'd be nice to toss a "thanks, this is a helpful post" to a person without interrupting the thread's conversation or reviving an old thread. For example, several of Narouz's posts were really helpful in the Red Light Therapy thread, but I was hesitant to add to the hundreds of posts just to point them out.

Not a big deal though, I can just PM people more.

Dan W

Oh, and while we're asking Charlie for forum features on the site he gives us for free, I'd also like the forum to make me ice cream :)

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:
Oh, and while we're asking Charlie for forum features on the site he gives us for free, I'd also like the forum to make me ice cream :)
Really Dan?
You mean a :coke and a friendly :wedgie are not enough for you?

Yeah, I know, I'm not adding much to the conversation! :P

Dan W

There should've been an April Fools prank where we convince people that wedgies improve oxidative metabolism.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Edward said:
Thanks Charlie.

j. said:

Just an anonymous like or dislike of the post on a thread was what I was meaning. Like a +1. The like would be tied to the specific response, for the usefulness of the response, not the usefulness or otherwise of the user.

For example, just now, instead of having to fill the screen with your comment a simple -1 or thumbs down.

I agree with your basic concern though. I was also thinking from a usability standpoint, there a lot of instances where people are going back and forth basically agreeing or disagreeing with one another diluting the meat of the content over a large span of pages. So I was thinking along the lines of how you could dynamically discourage useless posts without direct administration to make information easier to shift through.

There is a "thanks" and "no thanks" mod but I was having trouble installing it with the board theme we are using. I can install it into the prosilver theme and it works fine. The prosilver theme isn't as pretty as this one(Absolution) though.

jyb said:

jyb, you can click on the subject line of the post, that will square up the page for you on that post. Then you can click on "bookmark topic".

Dan Wich said:

Chocolate or vanilla? :mrgreen:

4peatssake said:
Really Dan?
You mean a :coke and a friendly :wedgie are not enough for you?

:rolling

Dan Wich said:
There should've been an April Fools prank where we convince people that wedgies improve oxidative metabolism.

:rollingred

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If we all switched over to "prosilver" theme then installing mods would be so much easier. But since "Absolution" is a custom theme sometimes it's a huge headache to install a mod. Prosilver isn't nearly as cool looking as Absolution though. :lol: