Up To 75% Of Homosexual Behaviour May Be Acquired, Not Inherited

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this b/c I think it underscores the importance of environmental influences in sexual orientation, which even now is considered primarily inherited/genetic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4660555/

"...(1) Of the 50 subjects, only about 25% had interest in homosexual behavior prior to initial episode. (2) About 50% subjects indulged in homosexual behavior due to lack/fear of having heterosexual contact. (3) About 60% subjects believed that homosexual behavior carried relatively lower risk of acquiring STIs and 68% subjects have had unprotected contact. (4) About 70% subjects had only acquired this behavior and nearly 60% subjects were interested in heterosexual marriage and not interested in further homosexual behavior."

thegiantess

There is some kind of weird obsession with homosexuality on this board... Specifically with trying to show that it's unnatural or abnormal. What gives? I'm not sure what this sort of study is supposed to accomplish? Would you post something that shows that Jewish people are more likely to be autistic or that African Americans are more likely to be born with autoimmune conditions because their mothers smoked crack? No. You wouldn't. Perhaps posts that are "showing" that homosexuality is a choice or that homosexual people are the product of sickness (the study that was posted that hypothyroid women tend to have gay kids) aren't doing the gays any good. Idiots in the world don't need more reasons outside of Jesus to hate the gays. My god.

Honestly I'm not sure homosexuals would like it that their endocrine system become yet another taboo...

DaveFoster

Would you post something that shows that Jewish people are more likely to be autistic?
That would be factually incorrect. They tend to be more intelligent, however.
African Americans are more likely to be born with autoimmune conditions because their mothers smoked crack?
That would be a true statement. They also have higher instances of pulmonary hypertension.

No. You wouldn't. Perhaps posts that are "showing" that homosexuality is a choice or that homosexual people are the product of sickness (the study that was posted that hypothyroid women tend to have gay kids) aren't doing the gays any good. Idiots in the world don't need more reasons outside of Jesus to hate the gays. My god.
You can look upon homosexuality in the same light as autism. Did some of the greatest inventors in history exhibit autistic anti-social tendencies? Yes, but this doesn't make autism a normality in the population with well-regulated levels of serotonin.

goodandevil

Probably more than that considering how many men wear dresses today, doesnt will smiths kid wear dresses? Goes to show it's more than genetic jnless genes have underwent some great changes in recent years. No homo.

thegiantess

That would be factually incorrect. They tend to be more intelligent, however.

That would be a true statement. They also have higher instances of pulmonary hypertension.

You can look upon homosexuality in the same light as autism. Did some of the greatest inventors in history exhibit autistic anti-social tendencies? Yes, but this doesn't make autism a normality in the population with well-regulated levels of serotonin.
I'm not sure I buy these studies. So, yes the Jewish thing is factually incorrect, but the hyperbole was intended to get a point across. I think there is simply no place on a health forum for discussions about groups of people. Be they ethnic, racial or cultural groups.

What about smokers, obese, marathon runners...

Nicholas

I am posting this b/c I think it underscores the importance of environmental influences in sexual orientation, which even now is considered primarily inherited/genetic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4660555/

"...(1) Of the 50 subjects, only about 25% had interest in homosexual behavior prior to initial episode. (2) About 50% subjects indulged in homosexual behavior due to lack/fear of having heterosexual contact. (3) About 60% subjects believed that homosexual behavior carried relatively lower risk of acquiring STIs and 68% subjects have had unprotected contact. (4) About 70% subjects had only acquired this behavior and nearly 60% subjects were interested in heterosexual marriage and not interested in further homosexual behavior."

i have underscored this in the hypothyroid mother thread as well and offered a paper written by a psychologist who accidentally discovered he wasn't actually gay. i have done my own informal questionnaire of a small portion of the gay male population and many would say the same as this study. it's nice to see that they would even publish something like this.

DaveFoster

I'm not sure I buy these studies. So, yes the Jewish thing is factually incorrect, but the hyperbole was intended to get a point across. I think there is simply no place on a health forum for discussions about groups of people. Be they ethnic, racial or cultural groups.
It's hollistic. You can't talk about the human body without delving deep into physiology, which bases itself off of genetics, and which pervades into neurology, psychology, and by extension, behavioral sciences.

thegiantess

It's hollistic. You can't talk about the human body without delving deep into physiology, which bases itself off of genetics, and which pervades into neurology, psychology, and by extension, behavioral sciences.
Meh. I see what you're saying, but given the history of persecution of gays it goes beyond just an extension of the person's body or self. It's also a cultural issue, a social issue, a political issue. So, it's just not that simple.

Marathon runners, those are the weirdos we should be picking apart.

???

Let me retract that "groups of people," and Just say cultural, racial or ethnic groups. Better?

No, not better. There is nothing sacred. Not if we wish to move forward. Being able to study these things is along the same path of liberation as actual gay rights, they are not opposite.

This study was done in India. Homosexuality is mostly a taboo subject in Indian civil society and for the government. Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code makes sex with persons of the same gender punishable by law. People questioned about their sexuality is not a good way to get objective results and studying this is a waste of time and money. There are far more important things to be studying. To call it homosexual "behavior" is stupid. It implies that the person has a choice. Anyone who thinks that being gay is choice is simply a hateful person and they should just admit it. And/or they've never spent a significant amount of time around gay people. Go to boys town in Chicago, West Hollywood, Chelsea in NYC, San Francisco’s Castro, pretty much any city and actually hang out with and talk and socialize with these people. You will see that they are just like anyone else; tall, short, fat, skinny, broke, wealthy, any ethnicity, any language, any nationality, conservative, liberal, nice, mean, happy, sad, and on and on. Does a rapist choose to rape? You can argue no but there is a difference between doing something that is not consensual and something that is between two consenting adults. Does a serial killer choose to kill? Is the killer born with a pre disposition to kill? Maybe. But again, that is an action that deliberately harms others whereas being gay does not harm anyone. What two consenting adults do with each other is a non-issue. Gay people may disgust you, but in an optimal free society there's nothing you can do about it. Leave them be. Have I met gay people that annoy me? Yes. But it wasn't because they were gay, it was because they were annoying people. The gay factor has nothing to do with anything. Future generations will look back at all of this and be flabbergasted at how stupid the whole thing is. ISIS is throwing gay people off of roofs. Gay Nigerians get whipped by mobs. On the spectrum from feminine to masculine gay guys, I hope the more masculine ones were able to hide their gayness when ISIS came around their neighborhood to find them. But unfortunately for the very clearly feminine ones, they have no choice, they can't hide it, because they were born that way.

Nicholas

This study was done in India. Homosexuality is mostly a taboo subject in Indian civil society and for the government. Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code makes sex with persons of the same gender punishable by law. People questioned about their sexuality is not a good way to get objective results and studying this is a waste of time and money. There are far more important things to be studying. To call it homosexual "behavior" is stupid. It implies that the person has a choice. Anyone who thinks that being gay is choice is simply a hateful person and they should just admit it. And/or they've never spent a significant amount of time around gay people. Go to boys town in Chicago, West Hollywood, Chelsea in NYC, San Francisco’s Castro, pretty much any city and actually hang out with and talk and socialize with these people. You will see that they are just like anyone else; tall, short, fat, skinny, broke, wealthy, any ethnicity, any language, any nationality, conservative, liberal, nice, mean, happy, sad, and on and on. Does a rapist choose to rape? You can argue no but there is a difference between doing something that is not consensual and something that is between two consenting adults. Does a serial killer choose to kill? Is the killer born with a pre disposition to kill? Maybe. But again, that is an action that deliberately harms others whereas being gay does not harm anyone. What two consenting adults do with each other is a non-issue. Gay people may disgust you, but in an optimal free society there's nothing you can do about it. Leave them be. Have I met gay people that annoy me? Yes. But it wasn't because they were gay, it was because they were annoying people. The gay factor has nothing to do with anything. Future generations will look back at all of this and be flabbergasted at how stupid the whole thing is. ISIS is throwing gay people off of roofs. Gay Nigerians get whipped by mobs. On the spectrum from feminine to masculine gay guys, I hope the more masculine ones were able to hide their gayness when ISIS came around their neighborhood to find them. But unfortunately for the very clearly feminine ones, they have no choice, they can't hide it, because they were born that way.

the study is not about choice. it's about environmental influences. i know you live in California and are from the northeast, but there's no need to turn this into a gay prejudice post because it simply is not. this is the ray peat forum so the discourse tends to be on a higher level of perception than mainstream culture the gay community generally even supports the idea of "sexual fluidity"...which is another way of acknowledging environmental influences. there is also confusion here because there is also the doctrine of "born this way". really start talking to gay people about their sexuality and the tone will change and you will see that it's not something that most homosexuals feel completely confident about ...it's a very vulnerable, sensitive part of their lives. the recognition is usually either insecurity of their sexuality (i.e. not really understanding it) or very heated defense of it.

sladerunner69

Interesting subject. As I understand it, prehistoric man/hominid had very little conception of immorality surrounding sexuality. In other words, up until agriculture came about, the rule of sex was "anything goes". In fact there is much evidence to substantiate the idea that bisexuality was the norm in those times. Hunters/warriors would be brought closer through homosexual intercourse but it didnt replace hetero intercourse. I think the direction modern society, especially in more urban areas, is headed towards a civilized version of this, where bisexuality is widely accepted as the norm. Certainly no one on my college campus would bat an eye if I or any of my friends were seen dating/flirting with males.

tara

To call it homosexual "behavior" is stupid. It implies that the person has a choice. Anyone who thinks that being gay is choice is simply a hateful person and they should just admit it. And/or they've never spent a significant amount of time around gay people.

I haven't read the study - I'm just responding to what you said.

There is such a thing as homosexual behaviour, and it's not the same thing as gay or lesbian identity, and it's not always engaged in exclusively by people who have taken on those identities (e.g. there are straight men who have at some time engaged in sex with men, and there are celibate Gays and Lesbians). Lots of feelings and behaviour, sexual or otherwise, is influenced by context. Being sexually interested in someone of the same or different gender doesn't mean one has no choice about one's behaviour in response to such feelings.
Homosexual behaviour is not always consenting, any more than heterosexual behaviour always is. Where I grew up, heterosexual rape was still legal (in marriage) - fortunately, that has now changed.

Even if there seems to be a significant instinctive heterosexual drive for many people, quite a lot of the behaviour associated with heterosexuality seems to be learned (and some of it is pretty problematic, too :)).

I assume people have some choice about both their behaviour and their choice of identities, though sometimes the influences are strong. I don't think I'm in a position to always know what everyone else's choices should be. Especially given the gender identities society pushes us to squeeze into, I think there are many good things that have come from some people stepping outside of these constraints.
To assume that people have no choice about how they live their lives doesn't strike me as the pinnacle of respect.

Assuming significant freedom of choice seems to me to be quite compatible with also rejecting any of the social, religious, legal persecution and exclusion that has been visited on GLBTQ....xyzs.
(I have been known to be at least a little active towards removing legal persecution, and I am appreciative of many GLB...s who have worked for and sometimes lead important social change, and the GLB...s in my own life.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom