Unsaturated oils in external cosmetic

Aleksandra

Hi

I have just stared reading articles about unsaturated oils/ fats . Has anybody seen any kind of information about external using different types of oils like evening primrose etc which are rich in unsaturated fats.

Tks

OP
A

Aleksandra

Yea I have seen it and I did not take anything from it. Did you see any kind of research about adsorption of PUF through the skin? Essential oils they still contain some amount of PUFA. I am working on creams and I really would like to follow the healthiest I approach I can. I am very impressed with Ray's work but I can not find there anything about external use except the almond oil.

HDD

Stunning, IIRC, emailed Ray Peat, I am not sure if there are any email replies posted. Maybe you could PM her or post a question to her in that thread?

Sorry, I don't know much about it myself. I use coconut oil and beef tallow.

Peata

I don't know what RP has said specifically, but I do try to avoid PUFAs in topical products and also essential oils (they might be estrogenic).

I believe things we put on the skin are absorbed into our bodies, sometimes even more efficiently than if we consumed them, so I am more careful about it now.

Although I am not 100% perfect, I just kind of pick my battles. For example, I still use a drugstore shampoo because the "no poo" method doesn't work for my long, thick hair.

Jenn

Your skin is your largest organ. If you put it on your skin, it's like eating it. In the beginning, due to digestive issues, I "ate" my coconut oil mostly through skin application. My personal opinion, if you must put pufa's on your skin, try to incorporate at least 50% saturated fat as well.

4peatssake

Aleksandra said:
Hi

I have just stared reading articles about unsaturated oils/ fats . Has anybody seen any kind of information about external using different types of oils like evening primrose etc which are rich in unsaturated fats.

Tks
Ray Peat avoids external use of them.

Ray Peat said:
Q Why are the unsaturated oils so popular if they are dangerous?

It's a whole system of promotion, advertising, and profitability.

50 years ago, paints and varnishes were made of soy oil, safflower oil, and linseed (flax seed) oil. Then chemists learned how to make paint from petroleum, which was much cheaper. As a result, the huge seed oil industry found its crop increasingly hard to sell. Around the same time, farmers were experimenting with poisons to make their pigs get fatter with less food, and they discovered that corn and soy beans served the purpose, in a legal way. The crops that had been grown for the paint industry came to be used for animal food. Then these foods that made animals get fat cheaply came to be promoted as foods for humans, but they had to direct attention away from the fact that they are very fattening. The "cholesterol" focus was just one of the marketing tools used by the oil industry. Unfortunately it is the one that has lasted the longest, even after the unsaturated oils were proven to cause heart disease as well as cancer. [Study at L.A. Veterans Hospital, 1971.]

I use some of these oils (walnut oil is very nice, but safflower oil is cheaper) for oil painting, but I am careful to wash my hands thoroughly after I touch them, because they can be absorbed through the skin.

Unsaturated Vegetable Oils: Toxic

OP
A

Aleksandra

Agree. I am doing small review of my knowledge about creams. Trying to creat the healthiest option. As for now I am working on base- beeswax, Cocoa butter ( 60% SFA, 33% MUFA, 3% PUFA), Kokum butter( 39% MUFA ) , mango butter ( ), Shea butter ( 45% SFA, 46% MuFA, 7.9% PUFA), coconut oil, jojoba oil.Still working on it. A lot of reading. I guess I could look into some products and check their labels but I do not trust labels any more soooo. We will see

gretchen

Unfortunately PUFAs are in a lot of skin problems. Try to eliminate as much as you can. Retinoids are a good cream to use which don't contain them (many serums do).

juanitacarlos

Jenn said:
Your skin is your largest organ. If you put it on your skin, it's like eating it. In the beginning, due to digestive issues, I "ate" my coconut oil mostly through skin application. My personal opinion, if you must put pufa's on your skin, try to incorporate at least 50% saturated fat as well.

Pretty much sums it up Jenn!

I personally only use coconut oil on my skin. Coconut oil and baking soda as deodorant. Coconut oil/goats milk soap on smelly bits, not all over. The less my skin and liver have to deal with, the better.

ilovethesea

Peata said:
I don't know what RP has said specifically, but I do try to avoid PUFAs in topical products and also essential oils (they might be estrogenic).

I believe things we put on the skin are absorbed into our bodies, sometimes even more efficiently than if we consumed them, so I am more careful about it now.

Although I am not 100% perfect, I just kind of pick my battles. For example, I still use a drugstore shampoo because the "no poo" method doesn't work for my long, thick hair.

I am the same, I use regular shampoo because my hair is long and fine and there's just no way I can go through the no-poo "adjustment period" where you have to be a greaseball for 2 months until it gets used to the oils. However, I read something on here about baking soda being an alternative - has anyone had success with that? I also colour my hair so I'm a little concerned with it accelerating the fading. (I know hair dye is probably not the best either but I'm not ready to give that up... at least it's lightening which I hear is better than darkening)

On my body I use coconut oil as lotion but not on my face. On my face I use a serum with only 2 ingredients - a polysaccharide derived from senna leaf seed and glycerine. I don't know if that is a PUFA but it's very light and watery, not a cream. Then I use Retin-A gel at night... not a PUFA but not sure how safe it is. Hopefully as my skin improves I can give it up eventually.

ilovethesea

ttramone said:
I personally only use coconut oil on my skin. Coconut oil and baking soda as deodorant. Coconut oil/goats milk soap on smelly bits, not all over. The less my skin and liver have to deal with, the better.

What's your deodorant recipe? I tried a coconut oil/baking soda mixture but I got a horrible rash and irritation. Right now I am using Nivea :(

Do you use coconut oil as your soap?

I am using regular soap right now but trying to use it sparingly. Goat milk soap sounds like a good alternative - this one seems pretty safe so might order it. http://well.ca/products/the-soap-works- ... 15724.html

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals