Unsaturated Fat Protects Against Saturated Fat Induced Lipotoxicity

AlphaCog

Triglyceride accumulation protects against fatty acid-induced lipotoxicity

Abstract

Excess lipid accumulation in non-adipose tissues is associated with insulin resistance, pancreatic beta-cell apoptosis and heart failure. Here, we demonstrate in cultured cells that the relative toxicity of two common dietary long chain fatty acids is related to channeling of these lipids to distinct cellular metabolic fates. Oleic acid supplementation leads to triglyceride accumulation and is well tolerated, whereas excess palmitic acid is poorly incorporated into triglyceride and causes apoptosis. Unsaturated fatty acids rescue palmitate-induced apoptosis by channeling palmitate into triglyceride pools and away from pathways leading to apoptosis. Moreover, in the setting of impaired triglyceride synthesis, oleate induces lipotoxicity. Our findings support a model of cellular lipid metabolism in which unsaturated fatty acids serve a protective function against lipotoxicity though promotion of triglyceride accumulation.

there are a lot of studies about how wonderful PUFA is. There was an era when it was a fad, to do studies showing how wonderful PUFA is and how bad satfat is.

This was published in 2003, right in the PUFA fad sweet spot.

It shows stuff such as that PUFA can inhibit apoptosis. Is that true? If it is, is it really a good or a bad thing?

Apoptosis stops cancer if the cancer cells are apoptotic. Then it's a good thing.

It does show that PUFA causes triglyceride accumulation. This protects against "lipotoxicity"

Several of our findings suggest that, when cultured cells are exposed to high concentrations of exogenous palmitic acid for up to 28 h, triglyceride synthesis prevents lipotoxicity.

I'm not smart enough to decode it all, nor do I have the time. But this is a typical study that they churned out during that time (and it's all in vitro I believe, which kinda weakens its applicability to in vitro.)

Cirion

I think there is a movement here on these forums to demonize SFA and promote PUFA's. I'll just say it's in a certain prominent controversial thread and not name any names. This is highly unfortunate. What I really think is the problem is pretty much

- Excess SFA (RP does not say get 30% of calories from coconut oil but some have done this, including myself even)
- Excess fats period (SFA's are not better than carbs but are better than PUFAs)
- Intaking raw oils (I am starting to think eating ANY oil raw is not that great, even coconut oil, but from whole foods can be okay)
- Dairy fat (My opinion though, but based by experiences)

In regards to the apoptosis question, apoptosis is generally good if it involves killing bad cells like cancer cells, but normally in a healthy body it is autophagy that regulates the turnover of cells as far as I am aware

Apoptosis of healthy cells is something you do NOT want, but can happen in an inflamed body. For example it has been shown that exposure to high EMF's can cause apoptosis of otherwise healthy red blood cells

Kartoffel

Triglyceride accumulation protects against fatty acid-induced lipotoxicity

Abstract

Excess lipid accumulation in non-adipose tissues is associated with insulin resistance, pancreatic beta-cell apoptosis and heart failure. Here, we demonstrate in cultured cells that the relative toxicity of two common dietary long chain fatty acids is related to channeling of these lipids to distinct cellular metabolic fates. Oleic acid supplementation leads to triglyceride accumulation and is well tolerated, whereas excess palmitic acid is poorly incorporated into triglyceride and causes apoptosis. Unsaturated fatty acids rescue palmitate-induced apoptosis by channeling palmitate into triglyceride pools and away from pathways leading to apoptosis. Moreover, in the setting of impaired triglyceride synthesis, oleate induces lipotoxicity. Our findings support a model of cellular lipid metabolism in which unsaturated fatty acids serve a protective function against lipotoxicity though promotion of triglyceride accumulation.

Please summarize for us in simple words what they did in that study. Thank you!

Kartoffel

I rcently posted a study showing that BSA is contaminated with LPS and lipopeptides, and that this is responsible for the inflammatory response attributed to palmitate and other saturated fatty acids. In your study, they also used BSA to complex with palmitate. Whatever they did exactely in that study (i don't understand half of what they write), the BSA is very likely responsible for what happened.

From your study: "Where indicated, cell culture media were supplemented with FA (complexed to BSA at a 6.6:1 molar ratio;")​

RWilly

What if PUFA is harmful to pathogenic microbes too. That could in turn make it beneficial to us.

TeaRex14

Maybe I messed up by only reading the abstract, but it says oleic acid. "Oleic acid supplementation leads to triglyceride accumulation and is well tolerated, whereas excess palmitic acid is poorly incorporated into triglyceride and causes apoptosis" There's many things wrong with this, firstly oleic acid isn't a PUFA, and secondly using isolate plmaitic acid is a great way to tweak the methodology into their favored bias. Consuming real whole saturated fat means you get a generous supply of stearic acid with palmitic acid, and stearic acid can be desaturated into oleic acid. I think this whole study is flawed just by scraping the surface of it. But again, feel free to tell me if I missed something, I only read the abstract.

haidut

Forum Supporter
"Oleic acid supplementation leads to triglyceride accumulation and is well tolerated, whereas excess palmitic acid is poorly incorporated into triglyceride and causes apoptosis"

If that is true it would also suggest that palmitic acid is a lot less fattening than MUFA and PUFA. In order to get stored in fat tissue the fatty acid must first be turned into a triglyceride. The resistance to esterification also means palmitic acid will stay in the blood much longer and this allows it to have multiple beneficial metabolic effects. For example, elevated PUFA in the blood trigger the stress response (ACTH/cortisol) and increases inflammatory biomarkers. Palmitic acid has the opposite effects, so staying in the blood longer in free form allows it to control/oppose the negative effects of PUFA. Finally, apoptosis is usually a good thing as weakened or (pre)cancerous cells are much vulnerable to apoptosis and we do want them to undergo apoptosis. If PUFA is preventing this from happening then this is yet another negative effect we need to be wary of and a reason to avoid PUFA.

TeaRex14

If that is true it would also suggest that palmitic acid is a lot less fattening than MUFA and PUFA. In order to get stored in fat tissue the fatty acid must first be turned into a triglyceride. The resistance to esterification also means palmitic acid will stay in the blood much longer and this allows it to have multiple beneficial metabolic effects. For example, elevated PUFA in the blood trigger the stress response (ACTH/cortisol) and increases inflammatory biomarkers. Palmitic acid has the opposite effects, so staying in the blood longer in free form allows it to control/oppose the negative effects of PUFA. Finally, apoptosis is usually a good thing as weakened or (pre)cancerous cells are much vulnerable to apoptosis and we do want them to undergo apoptosis. If PUFA is preventing this from happening then this is yet another negative effect we need to be wary of and a reason to avoid PUFA.
Yeah I didn't even think about that, thanks. I just know it's next to impossible to consume a diet with only palmitic acid. Most saturated fats like butter and coconut oil have several fatty acids in them.

OP
AlphaCog

AlphaCog

What do you think about fasting-induced autophagy vs saturated fat-induced apoptosis?

RePeatRePeat

Why are these sorts of posts even allowed on the forum. They contribute nothing and act only as distractions.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
What do you think about fasting-induced autophagy vs saturated fat-induced apoptosis?

Peat has a quote somewhere on the forum that autophagy only works in people with higher core body temps. In hypo people fasting actually triggers an inflammatory reaction.

Cirion

Peat has a quote somewhere on the forum that autophagy only works in people with higher core body temps. In hypo people fasting actually triggers an inflammatory reaction.

+1. This is true for me. I'm hypo and fasting is pretty devastating for me. There is merit to protein and/or fat fasting, but not to carbohydrate fasting. I believe you have made some posts/studies that basically imply this. As you have said in those posts, any benefits apparently seen are only because of fasting from proteins and fats. There is, as far as I can see, never a good reason to fast from carbs. ever. Fasting from carbs causes you to start burning fats (with PUFA's in the mix), activating the adrenaline/stress pathway, and making estrogen, serotonin etc go through the roof.

This is also why sleeping is actually the most energy intensive activity you can do, at least in a healthy manner, as sleeping is when most autophagy occurs. Keeping glucose stores up is absolutely crucial when sleeping and refeeding is virtually mandatory if you wake up in the middle of the night.

SOMO

What if PUFA is harmful to pathogenic microbes too. That could in turn make it beneficial to us.

Linoleic Acid is antimicrobial, so yes it is.

Why are these sorts of posts even allowed on the forum. They contribute nothing and act only as distractions.

Why not? Afraid of conflicting viewpoints?

If you start banning pro-PUFA stuff, this site will become an echo chamber

Try posting the benefits of milk on a vegan forum and see how quickly you get banned. Isn't is important to consider every possibility?

LeeLemonoil

Seconded. Dogmatism isn’t Peaty, we will at least learn a thing or two when debunking or analyzing false theorems in publication. Or we will find faults in our assumptions. Let’s keep an open mind - perceive, think, act.
Linoleic Acid is antimicrobial, so yes it is.

Why not? Afraid of conflicting viewpoints?

If you start banning pro-PUFA stuff, this site will become an echo chamber

Try posting the benefits of milk on a vegan forum and see how quickly you get banned. Isn't is important to consider every possibility?