Unraveling Health (*please help*)

Nicholas

I have noticed on two occasions where eggs make me feel awful and they normally don't....like i feel like i go into a mild coma after eating them. just occured to me that maybe this has something to do with them being insulinogenic. This started happening at a time where i have been feeling extreme fatigue and lots of life stress. The past week i haven't even been able to work the fatigue has been so strong and all of the stress i have in my life. My health is unraveling right now. And i can't really express it to anyone or easily justify it or prove it. But perhaps the eggs thing suggests getting blood work for diabetes? i can't really think straight right now. Can someone please help in suggesting what type of blood work makes sense for diabetes and if insulinogenic foods would even relate.... i don't want to get trapped into the diabetes system if it's only pre-diabetes or i'm having just a rough temporary patch

marcar72

It could be the protein in the eggs crashing your blood sugar. Ray Peat himself has stated he needs a pint of OJ per egg so as to not crash his blood sugar... :2cents

tara

:1
How much sugar/starch did you eat before/with the eggs?
I don't fare well if I eat eggs on an empty stomach.

I've never done it, but I gather you can get a blood sugar meter and test your own blood sugars at various times to help see what's going on. (Or you can go the RBTI way, and get a refractometer - it doesn't hurt as much as pricking your finger for blood at every test.)

Feel free to give synopsis of your health issues and current diet and other factors, and brief history, if you feel like it, or link to it if you've already posted such.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

hey Tara - yeah i ate the eggs 2hrs. after i normally would and not with fruit like i normally would.....which could explain it but it also happened another time while being balanced. anyways - just didn't really understand the connection of insulinogenic foods to diabetes - seems they would be helpful. overall, everything's been suffering lately but i think because of severe mental stress. i've noticed a definite metabolic decline since the stress and physically demanding job, too. it gets so murky when you are dealing with a lot of stress to tell what is what - and the fatigue lately has been so strong so it had me concerned about maybe diabetes forming - or it could just be my body saying it can't handle all the mental stress.

i took an aspirin today (don't usually) and felt much better. i need time for my body to catch up.....it's like it is demanding that i take the time to recover from everything of late and just has started to shut down.

pboy

I'm maybe not the best person to ask about this but for the few months (weeks?) I added eggs back a couple years ago...the whites were major GI irritants, I was kinda more of a noob at the time but if I recall the feeling it was clear serotonin....it wasn't irritating in the sense of a burn or something, just like as if sludge was in the gears..or it was like gripping as it slid through, then it smelled like sulfur and ***t. Basically just try the yolk

Peat's_Girl

Nicholas said:
I have noticed on two occasions where eggs make me feel awful and they normally don't....like i feel like i go into a mild coma after eating them. just occured to me that maybe this has something to do with them being insulinogenic. This started happening at a time where i have been feeling extreme fatigue and lots of life stress. The past week i haven't even been able to work the fatigue has been so strong and all of the stress i have in my life. My health is unraveling right now. And i can't really express it to anyone or easily justify it or prove it. But perhaps the eggs thing suggests getting blood work for diabetes? i can't really think straight right now. Can someone please help in suggesting what type of blood work makes sense for diabetes and if insulinogenic foods would even relate.... i don't want to get trapped into the diabetes system if it's only pre-diabetes or i'm having just a rough temporary patch

I'm sorry... I feel the same on the Peat diet, unfortunately. No diet has ever made me feel like this (sick, fatigued, bloated, unable to sleep) and it's a struggle trying to figure out what's wrong.

I don't think it's anything to do with eggs, personally. What's your history and background with dieting and stress and sugar/ fat consumption? What's the rest of your diet like? Do you track your nutrients and get all the minerals, vitamins and calories you need? Is your life stressful? Are you depressed? What other signs of poor health do you notice? When do you remember being healthy?

There are so many factors!

Man, I'm starting to sound like Tara ;D

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

i don't follow a Peat diet. i don't think it's the eggs, either. i think the biggest factor is the chronic stress like i mentioned

Brian

This does sound very concerning. My health unravels whenever I become orthorexic or start limiting my diet to just a few foods, which inevitably leads to eating less than 2000 calories per day. I feel my best when I take in close to 4000 calories of easily digestible food and spend most of the day on my feet and outside as much as possible (I am 6' 5" though). I was undereating and undersleeping for about 4 years during college. Back then I thought my fatigue and reactive hypoglycemia were some "disorder" or genetic dysfunction. Nope, I was just putting myself through very unreasonable demands on way too little food and sleep. I was really ignorant back then!

What would you estimate your calorie intake has consistently been in the last month? How much sunlight/redlight have you been getting daily? How much time on your feet per day? I have clearly observed in myself that these are by far the most potent factors that influence my ability to handle chronic physical and psychological stress, have enough energy for digestion of protein, sexuality, etc. My guess why these simple factors are so beneficial for me is that they actually have quite a dramatic effect on mitochondrial health, circadian rhythm and utilization of the higher amount of calories.

Peat's_Girl said:
“People expect beautiful melodies. But I already know the melodies. So does everybody else. Rather than look for more beautiful melodies, everyone’s purpose should be to find blind spots.”

-Raymond Peat, PhD

PG,

That's not a Peat quote. It is a quote by someone named Keith Jarrett that Ray liked and put in one of his books. Just letting you know. :)

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Brian said:
This does sound very concerning. My health unravels whenever I become orthorexic or start limiting my diet to just a few foods, which inevitably leads to eating less than 2000 calories per day. I feel my best when I take in close to 4000 calories of easily digestible food and spend most of the day on my feet and outside as much as possible (I am 6' 5" though). I was undereating and undersleeping for about 4 years during college. Back then I thought my fatigue and reactive hypoglycemia were some "disorder" or genetic dysfunction. Nope, I was just putting myself through very unreasonable demands on way too little food and sleep. I was really ignorant back then!

What would you estimate your calorie intake has consistently been in the last month? How much sunlight/redlight have you been getting daily? How much time on your feet per day? I have clearly observed in myself that these are by far the most potent factors that influence my ability to handle chronic physical and psychological stress, have enough energy for digestion of protein, sexuality, etc. My guess why these simple factors are so beneficial for me is that they actually have quite a dramatic effect on mitochondrial health, circadian rhythm and utilization of the higher amount of calories.

thank you. my calories have consistently been around or slightly under 3000 calories a day. i eat all kinds of protein, all kinds of carbs/starch, all kinds of dairy...some vegetables....fruits, etc. i am active every day. i get sunlight every day. i have also been sleeping much better up to this week. like i said, i think it's the chronic mental stress i've been under. it could also be that i'm not eating enough....seeing as i didn't really start eating more when the stress came on. when you are under a lot of mental stress it becomes harder to perceive things accurately and with dilligence.

Peat's_Girl

Westside PUFAs said:
Peat's_Girl said:
“People expect beautiful melodies. But I already know the melodies. So does everybody else. Rather than look for more beautiful melodies, everyone’s purpose should be to find blind spots.”

-Keith Jarret

PG,

That's not a Peat quote. It is a quote by someone named Keith Jarrett that Ray liked and put in one of his books. Just letting you know. :)

Darn it! Matt Sone ***** me over once more! (OK, maybe it's not Matt this time but my bad reading comprehension skills.) Sorry, Peat, I'll have to stick with this quote because your quotes about potatoes and milk-chugging don't have that same je ne sais quoi factor. ;D

tara

Hi Nicholas,
It sounds as though you have identified too much stress and possibly overwork as potentially key factors undermining your health. You could be right. In which case, changing your diet or adding or removing supplements may not be the key. How about figuring out what you can do to address those problems?

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

hi Tara - thanks. as far as overwork... yes, i'm considering working 5 days a week instead of 6 (it's not exactly mandatory)...and i think there are things nutritionally that might help to meet these demands. i realized a critical flaw that may have been part of my downward spiral was the confused state that comes with high heat/humidity and what fluids/extra sodium do to suppress your appetite. it can get into a vicious cycle and is hard to spin out of. I'm planning on going back to smoothies rather than water+apple juice because it's still refreshing, but lower liquid (and more nutrients). as my appetite is less and less suppressed, i'm hoping i can better meet these work demands.

as far as the stress element, i am close to resolving these things and it's made a tremendous impact already in my well being. Not only does stress put a strain on the body, it also puts a strain/state of confusion on your mind so that you aren't as sharp in responding to the increased needs of the body.

i am really grateful that i am beginning to see the way out of all this. pboy's comment on a different post about sodium and excess water really confirmed some of my suspicions....and Brian's comment reminded me of how vigilant i have to be with deciphering calorie needs (something i've always struggled with).