Unquenchable Thirst

Nicholas

Hello - Texas summer humid heat is back. working in stuffy un-air-conditioned environments...physical labor...sweating a lot, etc. i remember last summer having a bout of this instatiable thirst. currently i am salting the water i drink and adding a little apple juice to it. i should be getting enough minerals with my meals, etc. still the insatiable thirst. i could easily drink a gallon of water a day. because of that, drinking things like orange juice, coconut water, etc. become impractical and very calorie-dense. and juices seem to create the same problem of insatiable thirst. anyone have insight or thoughts?

Have you tried the magnesium water recipe from this forum?

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Such_Saturation said:
Have you tried the magnesium water recipe from this forum?

no, not aware of it. what is it? if magnesium might be the issue i could just use more chocolate/epsom baths...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I drink a boatload of apple juice. Adding baking soda till it tastes right. :drinkingbuddies :eek :cheers

Adding water and real salt could probably help too.

A

Anonymous

Maybe your body is not retaining the water because you don't have enough salt. Do you urinate frequently after consuming liquids?

tara

Charlie said:
I drink a boatload of apple juice. Adding baking soda till it tastes right. :drinkingbuddies :eek :cheers

Me too.
Occasionally with added water.
Sometimes with some salty protein.
Sometimes have a bit of that Mg bicarb water, too (dilute).

If I'm peeing clear and still thirsty, I probably need more food and/or salt (don't get to that point often, these days), or something's going out of whack.

If I'm thirsty and peeing dark, I drink more water.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

JRMoney15 said:
Maybe your body is not retaining the water because you don't have enough salt. Do you urinate frequently after consuming liquids?

I've been urinating more these days....probably every 4 hours. i wouldn't say it's like i'm peeing out what i drink like it's just going through my system. i'm salting more these days, too. could be that i don't hold onto salt well.... i think i used to have an issue with holding onto liquids - and i've had edema issues for a long time. as i am urinating more, the edema is also going away.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

tara said:
Charlie said:

Me too.
Occasionally with added water.
Sometimes with some salty protein.
Sometimes have a bit of that Mg bicarb water, too (dilute).

If I'm peeing clear and still thirsty, I probably need more food and/or salt (don't get to that point often, these days), or something's going out of whack.

If I'm thirsty and peeing dark, I drink more water.

yeah, i'm kind of wondering now if it's food/hunger related. not sure that it's salt because i feel like i salt my stuff enough. come to think of it, i've got this weird thing where i often can't decipher thirst cravings sometimes and mistaken them for hunger or vice versa.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Charlie said:

Charlie - this is my first week drinking apple juice. martinelli's. i love it - it seems to not be as finicky as orange juice and it seems to not cause any weird blood sugar things. still, i'm kind of programmed to not guzzle juice due to my issues with orange juice. what do you think of getting all of those carbs at once? seems like it would be imbalanced for me.

tara

Orange juice and milk together are delicious too - maybe more balanced. I haven't tried AJ and milk yet. Pineapple juice and milk are good, too, though I don't think 'd go for too many litres of PJ.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nicholas said:
Charlie - this is my first week drinking apple juice. martinelli's. i love it - it seems to not be as finicky as orange juice and it seems to not cause any weird blood sugar things. still, i'm kind of programmed to not guzzle juice due to my issues with orange juice. what do you think of getting all of those carbs at once? seems like it would be imbalanced for me.
Yeh I love the taste of good apple juice. I would balance it with protein though.

4peatssake

I think in extreme heat it's OK to drink water to quench thirst. Provided there's a need.
Diluted apple juice and/or the bicarb drink are great ideas.
Lemonade quenches my thirst too and this can be diluted as well.
I love my OJ and milk but I don't find it to be an effective thirst quencher.
Ice coffee is great too.

I don't do well in the heat so I'd be seeking shade whenever I could and I'd wear a hat.
I'd also have spray bottles of water to douse myself with. :lol:

tara

Nicholas said:
JRMoney15 said:

I've been urinating more these days....probably every 4 hours. i wouldn't say it's like i'm peeing out what i drink like it's just going through my system. i'm salting more these days, too. could be that i don't hold onto salt well.... i think i used to have an issue with holding onto liquids - and i've had edema issues for a long time. as i am urinating more, the edema is also going away.

If you are peeing every four hours, and working in the heat, your thirst may not be excessive.
After years of drinking lots whether I was thirsty or not, I still often can't tell, either, until I put water to my lips. If I guzzle it down I was thirsty. If it tastes bad I wasn't.

A

Anonymous

Anticholinergic meds make me hold more water and my urine becomes yellower and denser

Dayman

is watermelon available to you? salted cold watermelon seemed to hit the spot for me in the summer.

pboy

it seems counter intuitive but often times excessive thirst is actually a food craving, when you have too much fluid. Even in high heat conditions, when you sweat, its not usually pure water. I think theres a reason people who live on the high fruit diets need to excersize a lot to the point of sweating, and just are kind of irate sitting still. If you are sensitive and notice, a slight excess of fluid, even just a pure milk and OJ diet, but at any point in time, your pores will open a lot and you'll feel much hotter (to a point), and often have the dripping kind of water build up on your skin or drip off. Its the bodies way of tryin to evaporate out, get rid of somehow, excess pure water, because its difficult for the kidneys to compensate...so you usually wont pee much more, if anything, less, when you drink too much pure water. It also stimulates cortisol, so you'll feel kind of hyper energy but unstable and...quick, but weaker, when you have too m uch water, and the main reason for the cortisol is to break down protein, burn it, and use the uric acid to try to add some osmolality back to the excess water so kidneys can throw it out...its a terrible state to be in. Even when I work outside and sweat, its still better never to drink plain water, or even just too hypo of fluids, its better to do the same basically as if you weren't outside sweating. Even though the body compensates for excess water, its extremely small the amount it can compensate for...like...maybe an ounce an hour at the most in moderate conditions. Excess water kills the appetite, and that would make you think you were 'full', and saliva often times can be less when too much water, and increase when you add density back into it...its all to do with how the body wants the state of saliva to be...excess water is uncontrollable, it kinda just sinks and goes wherever...once you gain control of it back, it can flow and be controlled appropriately, however that may be..in saliva, out in urine, stomach acid, or whatever it may be. Too much salt actually is just bad in every way, it makes it harder for your body to evaporate excess water, and you might think you have a lotta quality saliva but really its anemic saliva that's just there to dilute salt...like in many ways, to me, salt is a potent toxin that resembles any other toxin that gets into the salivary/digestive fluid stream. Its like people who chew tobacco, or use sialagogue herbs, theres an over production of 'saliva' which is really just weak diluted saliva, basically to dilute the poison so its less harsh on tissues. If you put salt on your tongue when its relatively dry, you'll see what I mean..it burns bad and saliva will RUSH in to dilute it...not natural like if you were to chew some plain unsalted white rice, but it like RUSHES in...in the same fashion that it dilutes saliva, it probably dilutes every secretion in the digestive tract which compromises digestion, potentially. I know people are obsessed with salt, but its really, potent toxin...more like, a space hogging, tension increasing, confusing to the body'd signals thing

To keep it simple, eat the same way you would if you weren't sweating, meaning some fluid for sure but n ever more than the food you eat or sugar in the drink can 'grip', and add much less salt, like close to nil

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

ok, this helps. i have had the same thoughts you are sharing here - that the thirst could be hunger - but sweating all day and fluids has really confused my hunger. almost suppressed my appetite. i've also been using a lot more salt lately so that could be part of the problem, too. It's strange, but i feel like all my problems started when my environment became very humid, almost no ventilation....and like it's confused everything. you are right that it's a horrible place to be in - feeling wiped out, having an insatiable "thirst" or like something's missing - and when i got the hunch that this thirst was really hunger there's like no appetite there and it makes you want to gag. thank you.

(smoothies seem like a potential resolution because it would be both refreshing but also very food dense/low water....like something you could sip)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals