Unintentional Vegan Peating: Amazing So Far

andrei

Hello everyone! I'd like to report an interesting unintentional experiment of mine.
I posted recently how i was craving very little animal food for the past 4 months. I also lost weight as I was mostly eating fruits.
I starting eating potatoes for the past 2 weeks or so and I got to the point of 0 animal food cravings.
I'm basically a vegan now without intentionally wanting it. I just don't want animal food.
I started gaining weight again. I mean muscle as I am resistance training. I think the starch in potatoes stimulated back my appetite.
I am currently eating around 2 kg of potatoes and 2 kg of grapes a day. Some white in sugar in coffee. The mental clarity and positivity is insane. I am so verbally fluent, like I speak with a good flow and charisma in everything.
When I try to force some yogurt, I feel worse and sleep worse. I tested this several time in a controlled manner.
I read some of @Travis posts about vegan eating. I do not have the biology knowledge to understand everything he says, but my evidence is telling me that I have a direct positive relation between wellbeing and vegan eating.
I will report back on how things are going. So far, my protein cravings are probably potatos cravings. Thats my salty solid food. And grapes are throughout the day and after main meals. Its laughable how cheap this is.
Anyway, hope this is useful to share!

Fractality

What kind of grapes? You should let us know how long you can sustain that diet. I know I wouldn't be able to sustain it for long.

OP
A

andrei

What kind of grapes? You should let us know how long you can sustain that diet. I know I wouldn't be able to sustain it for long.
Purple grapes..i eat to craving..when i crave animal food, i will eat it.

Fractality

Cool, you have inspired me to try grapes as a daily food. I do drink organic concord grape juice especially with meat to counteract iron absorption. I'm mainly a goat milk and fresh squeezed orange juice drinker, but I do believe @Travis is onto something about milk (moreso cow's milk) having opiate-like effects which is partly why I drink coffee with it. I've been interested in incorporating a more vegan approach but large amounts of potato do not work for me.

anyfit

where do you get fat to eat with the potatoes , 2kg of potatoes everyday must give one hell of an insulin response

Travis

Keeping PUFA’s low should prevent Insulin Resistance
That's a good point, because its the ω−6 fatty acids on the cell membrane that really appear responsible for lowering transmembrane glucose flux. In the absence of ω−6 fatty acids, less insulin should be produced because less would be required.

Ulysses

where do you get fat to eat with the potatoes , 2kg of potatoes everyday must give one hell of an insulin response
I doubt it. Look up the Kempner Rice Diet

JustAGuy

I have basically the same andrei.
Though I eventually found out it is not related to vegan eating, rather to eating high carb low protein low fat.
Try to eat some lentils or other vegan protein instead of yogurt, you will most likely feel the same negative effect, atleast I did.

It takes a while, but eventually you will probably atrophy some muscle. Like within a few weeks/months. Maybe for you you wont since you eat a lot of potatoes, but people on fruit-only diets longterm will lose muscle eventually. It depends how much your total protein intake is I suppose.
2kg potatoes = 45g protein + 2kg grapes = 13g protein, for a total of 58g protein. Though the quality of protein is not that great, it might not be that bad since 58g protein is not super low I guess.

I think this effect is due to having amazing blood sugar levels constantly.

My compromise to this currently is to eat about 75gram protein a day total, eating mostly low protein cereal and white rice and tubers and fruit. Supplemented with a little bit of skim milk or lean meat per meal. I do not feel as good as I do on lowest end of protein like this but I still feel very decent compared to higher protein. Fat intake stays at like 10g/day max.

lampofred

I think Peat has said people can live for a very long time on a potatoes-only diet

Terma

I doubt it. Look up the Kempner Rice Diet
It gives a HELL of a insulin response, that's probably part of why OP is benefiting from them. The point is rather that transient high insulin is not damaging (ofc high glucose can certainly be, so thank god for insulin).

[If the potatoes alone do it, that's actually quite suggestive of insulin being a large factor for him]

Last edited:

Terma

Clearly we have to consider that it really wasn't the protein, since dairy should have been giving you more protein than potato, notably things like lysine - unless you weren't absorbing it.

Another possible effect is the cholinesterinase inhibition from eating tons of potatoes. Increased acetylcholine signaling combined with more extreme variations in blood sugar is the perfect scenario for increasing growth hormone. This is quite possible given that your diet probably doesn't give you much choline, so the effect might be more drastic on you.

Going even further, having huge blood sugar variations, assuming your liver can handle it, should in theory lead to a greater amplitude of aspects of the circadian rhythm (in part through liver genes, but also effects on the hypothalamus, which insulin acts on). If you do get that, then your nightly growth hormone secretion might improve, and that helps everything work.

All this would have to be shown in clinical studies, but I think it's a lead. That said, insulin alone is a powerful hormone here.

Terma

If that doesn't sound too RP-like, it's because it's not, Ray would probably tell you to put butter on those potatoes or juice them instead. Not that I necessarily agree, depends on your case. [Note that I doubt coconut oil is a true substitute for butter here]

Last edited:

Wagner83

Also potatoes have a high phosphate : calcium ratio. I'm not sure how you'd get enough zinc or selenium.

Terma

Yeah, although short-term you'd notice more the change in potassium intake.

There's also a rather limited chance that eating more arginine and less lysine contributes to your creatine synthesis. This seems less likely because you might have lower methionine from cutting dairy, but just throwing it out there.

Travis

The mental clarity and positivity is insane. I am so verbally fluent, like I speak with a good flow and charisma in everything.

Well that's certainly expected, and I wonder why nobody else sees this as a good thing? Increased mental clarity should help people make further refinements along the way, as not much can be learned without having that first. I have always felt that a biochemists could be a bit smarter than an average physicist or mathematician simply because they ought to know more about neurochemistry.
http://sci-hub.tw/http://sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000296291535967X

Britton, John. "Biologically active polypeptides in milk." The American journal of the medical sciences (1991)

Terma

Well I do think do think that. Certainly an expected side effect of increased acetylcholine signaling, which you're quite a fan of nicotine :). But even insulin and blood sugar variation depending on the person which are easily confounded with endotoxin effects (intranasal insulin is a useful nootropic for some). The only difference (?) is I always buy more into multi-factorial explanations than adding/cutting one thing alone. For example I'm about to vomit hard which is going to affect my interpretation of the coming walls of texts through several biochemichimal actions.

Kartoffel

Keeping PUFA’s low should prevent Insulin Resistance

PUFA don't make you insulin resistant. Compared to saturated fatty acids, they increase insulin sensitivity.

Terma

Keep in mind possible differences between cell membrane phospholipid PUFA/SFA vs SFA diacylglyceride and FFA overload.