Unfulfilled Life Goals - Cause of extreme anxiety?

leighv

Hi again!

Second post here this week, after reading these threads for yearsss!

I have such insane anxiety, every morning it feels like I’ve been stabbed with adrenaline and I constantly ruminate or obsess or compete to get my to-do list done.

This whole 3 years of BS has just really messed with my career and thrown me in so many different angles with my belief system that I don’t even know what I want to do anymore for a “job”. My nervous system is shot, and it’s hard for me to take regular breaths from all the panic.

I’m realizing some of this is self imposed. But the other day at the gym I asked myself internally “what in the F is really happening to you?” And I got an image in my mind of me frantically trying to shove a square peg I was holding into all these round holes.

Then in a talk I was having with a friend she silly said “you are not fulfilled, that’s what’s going on, you have nothing that brings you joy” and it was like an ah-hah moment.

My question is two fold.

One- can your body/nervous system turn on you and cause intense anxiety when you’re just constantly grinding your gears in the rat race?

Two - what are some ways that you all found “what you’re supposed to be doing” or something that brings you fulfillment in life? To me, if I think something might make me happy it’s usually an illusion or an idea I got from watching someone else have or experience that, but when I do it, I get nothing out of it. Example- volunteering as room mom, turned out to be so stressful, no joy found in that for me.

Thanks!

Peatful

One- yes it can.

Two- are you a mom yourself?

redsun

Hi again!

Second post here this week, after reading these threads for yearsss!

I have such insane anxiety, every morning it feels like I’ve been stabbed with adrenaline and I constantly ruminate or obsess or compete to get my to-do list done.

This whole 3 years of BS has just really messed with my career and thrown me in so many different angles with my belief system that I don’t even know what I want to do anymore for a “job”. My nervous system is shot, and it’s hard for me to take regular breaths from all the panic.

I’m realizing some of this is self imposed. But the other day at the gym I asked myself internally “what in the F is really happening to you?” And I got an image in my mind of me frantically trying to shove a square peg I was holding into all these round holes.

Then in a talk I was having with a friend she silly said “you are not fulfilled, that’s what’s going on, you have nothing that brings you joy” and it was like an ah-hah moment.

My question is two fold.

One- can your body/nervous system turn on you and cause intense anxiety when you’re just constantly grinding your gears in the rat race?

Two - what are some ways that you all found “what you’re supposed to be doing” or something that brings you fulfillment in life? To me, if I think something might make me happy it’s usually an illusion or an idea I got from watching someone else have or experience that, but when I do it, I get nothing out of it. Example- volunteering as room mom, turned out to be so stressful, no joy found in that for me.

Thanks!
The brain will try to force an issue like this up to the surface into your conscious awareness if you try to avoid it but it will be like a bad itch you can only stratch one way. Its not supposed to be an intense overwhelming, constant anxious state. If it is then thats not the problem. The problem is you just have anxiety which is permeating through every inch of your life. Its not normal to be like this. You probably wrecked your nervous system due to the way you handled this period of covid nonsense and all the stressful things that happened to you.

JamesGatz

It's not life goals I don't think - homeless people seem to be very low-serotonin despite being homeless - even for me personally my serotonin was highest when my career was way more successful

I think it's more to so with your environment

Waking up from adrenaline from sleeping on a toxic estrogenic polyester mattress

Even having these thoughts at the gym because the gym clothing you're wearing wearing is toxic estrogenic polyester

Fixing your environment and wearing non-stressful clothing will probably get you on the right direction