Unexpected Central Role Of The Androgen Receptor In The Spontaneous Regeneration Of Myelin

LeeLemonoil

Unexpected central role of the androgen receptor in the spontaneous regeneration of myelin

Myelin allows the rapid conduction of electrical signals and provides axons with metabolic support. It appeared relatively late in evolution in hinge-jawed vertebrates and concomitantly with the emergence of the androgen receptor (AR), hinting at a specific role for androgens in myelination. Here, we show that after demyelination of the central nervous system (CNS), the male gonad, testosterone, and AR favor astrocyte recruitment and myelin regeneration by oligodendrocytes. In their absence, astrocytes remain sparse and peripheral-type remyelination, classically associated with Schwann cells, is predominantly detected. These findings reveal a novel role of androgen signaling in CNS myelin formation and glial cell communication, with possible implications for demyelinating, psychiatric, and age-related disorders.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

@haidut

seems a very significant "new" find on androgens - with many implications given the drstic increase of degenerative illnesses with similar pathologies as myelin-degeneration

I remember researching myellin sheaths. They have a lot to do with IQ and general brainpower.

Study gives more proof that intelligence is largely inherited

In a study published in the Journal of Neuroscience Feb. 18, UCLA neurology professor Paul Thompson and colleagues used a new type of brain-imaging scanner to show that intelligence is strongly influenced by the quality of the brain's axons, or wiring that sends signals throughout the brain. The faster the signaling, the faster the brain processes information. And since the integrity of the brain's wiring is influenced by genes, the genes we inherit play a far greater role in intelligence than was previously thought.

Genes appear to influence intelligence by determining how well nerve axons are encased in myelin — the fatty sheath of "insulation" that coats our axons and allows for fast signaling bursts in our brains. The thicker the myelin, the faster the nerve impulses.

Thompson and his colleagues scanned the brains of 23 sets of identical twins and 23 sets of fraternal twins. Since identical twins share the same genes while fraternal twins share about half their genes, the researchers were able to compare each group to show that myelin integrity was determined genetically in many parts of the brain that are key for intelligence. These include the parietal lobes, which are responsible for spatial reasoning, visual processing and logic, and the corpus callosum, which pulls together information from both sides of the body.

The researchers used a faster version of a type of scanner called a HARDI (high-angular resolution diffusion imaging) — think of an MRI machine on steroids — that takes scans of the brain at a much higher resolution than a standard MRI. While an MRI scan shows the volume of different tissues in the brain by measuring the amount of water present, HARDI tracks how water diffuses through the brain's white matter — a way to measure the quality of its myelin.

"HARDI measures water diffusion," said Thompson, who is also a member of the UCLA Laboratory of Neuro-Imaging. "If the water diffuses rapidly in a specific direction, it tells us that the brain has very fast connections. If it diffuses more broadly, that's an indication of slower signaling, and lower intelligence." [@Travis whats your take on this?]

"So it gives us a picture of one's mental speed," he said.

Because the myelination of brain circuits follows an inverted U-shaped trajectory, peaking in middle age and then slowly beginning to decline, Thompson believes identifying the genes that promote high-integrity myelin is critical to forestalling brain diseases like multiple sclerosis and autism, which have been linked to the breakdown of myelin.

"The whole point of this research," Thompson said, "is to give us insight into brain diseases."

He said his team has already narrowed down the number of gene candidates that may influence myelin growth.

And could this someday lead to a therapy that could make us smarter, enhancing our intelligence?

"It's a long way off but within the realm of the possible," Thompson said.
@haidut i bet you get there first

@op Hasn't the amount of testosterone in western men dropped by more than half?

Weak balls = weak brains.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

seems a very significant "new" find on androgens - with many implications given the drstic increase of degenerative illnesses with similar pathologies as myelin-degeneration

Thanks for bringing this up. It is not new but more along the lines of conveniently ignored. DHT has been known for decades to treat de-myelinating disease like MS in men. In fact, in some European countries it is prescribed off label for such issues.
Dihydrotestosterone as a Protective Agent in Chronic Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. - PubMed - NCBI

Progesterone and especially its 5a-reduced metabolites like 5a-DHP and allopregnanolone also promote myelin synthesis, as Peat has said many times. Pregnenolone also does, but to a lesser extent. Cortisol, estrogen, aldosterone, prolactin, etc are all de-myelinating. I think it illustrates perfectly how these conditions are stress-driven and what could be protective.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I remember researching myellin sheaths. They have a lot to do with IQ and general brainpower.

Study gives more proof that intelligence is largely inherited

@haidut i bet you get there first

@op Hasn't the amount of testosterone in western men dropped by more than half?

Weak balls = weak brains.

Yes, androgen deficiency plays a big role in declining health and intelligence in Western males. Stress and poor diet are the primary drivers of almost any chronic disease we currently encounter. This highlights the role of cortisol, estrogen, prolactin, aldosterone, HGH, serotonin, and endotoxin in all of these diseases as they all oppose androgen effects and synthesis. Most men with a chronic condition look effeminate and frail, which is a direct sign of androgen deficiency.

Yes, androgen deficiency plays a big role in declining health and intelligence in Western males. Stress and poor diet are the primary drivers of almost any chronic disease we currently encounter. This highlights the role of cortisol, estrogen, prolactin, aldosterone, HGH, serotonin, and endotoxin in all of these diseases as they all oppose androgen effects and synthesis. Most men with a chronic condition look effeminate and frail, which is a direct sign of androgen deficiency.

I'm frail,effeminate, and dumb. But I'm gaining weight and starting to understand complex physics papers . I was very smart as a child and the little flashes of intelligence I get mow and again give me hope.

Btw what peaty foods stores well long term? I was thinking of maiing a peaty prepper thread

dookie

I'm frail,effeminate, and dumb. But I'm gaining weight and starting to understand complex physics papers . I was very smart as a child and the little flashes of intelligence I get mow and again give me hope.

Btw what peaty foods stores well long term? I was thinking of maiing a peaty prepper thread

What supplement (and food) did you find best for making you less frail/effeminate?

I have this issue too. I am sort of "skinny fat", bony yet with edema

dookie

What exactly is "poor diet". I know many people eating absolute junk food, high PUFA, with no de-masculizing effects. Yet the men who venture to the health food stores and eat grass fed beef, and really pay attention to their diet, they appear effeminate as you say.

Also, besides DHT (and androgen hormones), what other supplements would you recommend for a frail/effeminate man?

What supplement (and food) did you find best for making you less frail/effeminate?

I have this issue too. I am sort of "skinny fat", bony yet with edema

Sporadic exercise to fatigue, tons of man food (meat, cheese, milk n potatoes) and zinc, magnesium, calcium, vitamin k.

lots of coffee.

Dhair

Over the past year or two, you have mentioned that you were actively searching or keeping an eye out for a way to provide bioidentical DHT legally. I understand that this is probably not possible, but without getting into too much detail, can you please tell us if this is something that you are still looking into? Especially considering the fact that many of us have been concerned about 11-keto-dht's status, any good news on this front (no matter how vague) would be fantastic.

Last edited:

Constatine

What exactly is "poor diet". I know many people eating absolute junk food, high PUFA, with no de-masculizing effects. Yet the men who venture to the health food stores and eat grass fed beef, and really pay attention to their diet, they appear effeminate as you say.

Also, besides DHT (and androgen hormones), what other supplements would you recommend for a frail/effeminate man?
The basics are very important here. That is total caloric intake, physical activity, and sun exposure. Biohacking won't do much without these basics down. Athletes aren't androgenic because they ate all the right foods, they are androgenic because they ate a whole lot of foods while training intensely for an extended period of time (especially during their early development). I challenge you to find one androgenic looking male who has not been physically active his entire life.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Eggs (powdered), coconut oil, orange juice, and ice-cream are probably among the more resilient ones.

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think most commercial food is packed with dangerous chemicals we don't even get to hear about simply because they are below the level considered by the authorities as dangerous. I posted a study recently on crabs along the West Coast of the US losing their mind due to low level of antidepressants being present in the water they live in.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ed-violent-homicidal-even-at-low-doses.20528/

Imagine how much worse the situation is with commercial food where the concentration of these things is much higher. Keeping thyroid and liver function high, and avoiding obviously estrogenic foods like soy and other legumes would be my primary tools.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Over the past year or two, you have mentioned that you were actively searching or keeping an eye out for a way to provide bioidentical DHT legally. I understand that this is probably not possible, but without getting into too much detail, can you please tell us if this is something that you are still looking into? Especially considering the fact that many of us have been concerned about 11-keto-dht's status, any good news on this front (no matter how vague) would be fantastic.

I am still trying to make this happen. It's just not easy opening (and maintaining) an office overseas :):

Dhair

I am still trying to make this happen. It's just not easy opening (and maintaining) an office overseas :):
Send me over, I'll do it if it gets me DHT faster lol.
Well that's the answer I was looking for, so I hope we can look forward to that. I know you have a couple new products lined up too, so that should hold us over. :):

Curiousman

Neuroregenerative Effect of Oxandrolone: A Case Report

Vittorio Bianchi and Adriana Marbini

Additional article information
Abstract

Patient: Male, 25

Final Diagnosis: Charcot-Marie-Tooth 1

Symptoms: Muscular • spasticity

Medication: Oxandrolone

Clinical Procedure: Neural and muscle biopsies

Specialty: Neurology
Objective:

Unusual setting of medical care
Background:

Anabolic steroids have the clinical effect of increasing protein synthesis in muscle and other tissues. The brain and spinal cord neurons have gonadal steroid receptors and various studies have shown at structural and molecular levels that androgenic steroids have a significant trophic effect on the brain and spinal cord.
Case Report:

We evaluated the effect of Oxandrolone (an FDA-approved anabolic steroid) at the dose of 20 mg/day for 3 months added to concomitant exercise strength training 3 times a week in a patient affected by a demyelinating disease, Charcot-Marie-Toot 1 (CMT1). After the treatment, an increase in muscular strength and walking capacity was observed. Muscle biopsy revealed a significant increase of type grouping of muscle fibers, an expression of regeneration and reinnervation processes.
Conclusions:

Data ensuing from this single case-report suggest that anabolic androgenic steroids have a potential neuroregenerative effect, with an inherent improvement in neuromuscular efficiency through an increased myelin synthesis at peripheral nervous system site.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Do you think topical use of pregneolone could have a use in this. I’m sure I remember you saying topical application favours the DHT route.

I think Pansterone and/or androsterone topically would be much more effective in converting into androgens. The post about topical favoring the androgen route was in regards to DHEA, hence my preference for Pansterone over pure pregnenolone.

ShotTrue

The basics are very important here. That is total caloric intake, physical activity, and sun exposure. Biohacking won't do much without these basics down. Athletes aren't androgenic because they ate all the right foods, they are androgenic because they ate a whole lot of foods while training intensely for an extended period of time (especially during their early development). I challenge you to find one androgenic looking male who has not been physically active his entire life.
Woah woah , are you insinuating using exercise as a male? On this forum?

ShotTrue

Strength training also helps with DHT! DHT is more responsible for strength and high velocity/high force than muscle mass, so low rep high weight

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals