Unexpected Central Role Of The Androgen Receptor In The Spontaneous Regeneration Of Myelin

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by LeeLemonoil, Nov 29, 2017.

1. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

Unexpected central role of the androgen receptor in the spontaneous regeneration of myelin

Myelin allows the rapid conduction of electrical signals and provides axons with metabolic support. It appeared relatively late in evolution in hinge-jawed vertebrates and concomitantly with the emergence of the androgen receptor (AR), hinting at a specific role for androgens in myelination. Here, we show that after demyelination of the central nervous system (CNS), the male gonad, testosterone, and AR favor astrocyte recruitment and myelin regeneration by oligodendrocytes. In their absence, astrocytes remain sparse and peripheral-type remyelination, classically associated with Schwann cells, is predominantly detected. These findings reveal a novel role of androgen signaling in CNS myelin formation and glial cell communication, with possible implications for demyelinating, psychiatric, and age-related disorders.

2. OP
    LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

@haidut

seems a very significant "new" find on androgens - with many implications given the drstic increase of degenerative illnesses with similar pathologies as myelin-degeneration

3. pimpnamedraypeat

pimpnamedraypeat Member

I remember researching myellin sheaths. They have a lot to do with IQ and general brainpower.

Study gives more proof that intelligence is largely inherited

@haidut i bet you get there first

@op Hasn't the amount of testosterone in western men dropped by more than half?

Weak balls = weak brains.

4. haidut

haidut Member

Thanks for bringing this up. It is not new but more along the lines of conveniently ignored. DHT has been known for decades to treat de-myelinating disease like MS in men. In fact, in some European countries it is prescribed off label for such issues.
    Dihydrotestosterone as a Protective Agent in Chronic Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. - PubMed - NCBI

Progesterone and especially its 5a-reduced metabolites like 5a-DHP and allopregnanolone also promote myelin synthesis, as Peat has said many times. Pregnenolone also does, but to a lesser extent. Cortisol, estrogen, aldosterone, prolactin, etc are all de-myelinating. I think it illustrates perfectly how these conditions are stress-driven and what could be protective.

5. haidut

haidut Member

Yes, androgen deficiency plays a big role in declining health and intelligence in Western males. Stress and poor diet are the primary drivers of almost any chronic disease we currently encounter. This highlights the role of cortisol, estrogen, prolactin, aldosterone, HGH, serotonin, and endotoxin in all of these diseases as they all oppose androgen effects and synthesis. Most men with a chronic condition look effeminate and frail, which is a direct sign of androgen deficiency.

6. pimpnamedraypeat

pimpnamedraypeat Member

I'm frail,effeminate, and dumb. But I'm gaining weight and starting to understand complex physics papers . I was very smart as a child and the little flashes of intelligence I get mow and again give me hope.

Btw what peaty foods stores well long term? I was thinking of maiing a peaty prepper thread

7. dookie

dookie Member

What supplement (and food) did you find best for making you less frail/effeminate?

I have this issue too. I am sort of "skinny fat", bony yet with edema

8. dookie

dookie Member

What exactly is "poor diet". I know many people eating absolute junk food, high PUFA, with no de-masculizing effects. Yet the men who venture to the health food stores and eat grass fed beef, and really pay attention to their diet, they appear effeminate as you say.

Also, besides DHT (and androgen hormones), what other supplements would you recommend for a frail/effeminate man?

9. pimpnamedraypeat

pimpnamedraypeat Member

Sporadic exercise to fatigue, tons of man food (meat, cheese, milk n potatoes) and zinc, magnesium, calcium, vitamin k.

lots of coffee.

10. Dhair

Dhair Member

Over the past year or two, you have mentioned that you were actively searching or keeping an eye out for a way to provide bioidentical DHT legally. I understand that this is probably not possible, but without getting into too much detail, can you please tell us if this is something that you are still looking into? Especially considering the fact that many of us have been concerned about 11-keto-dht's status, any good news on this front (no matter how vague) would be fantastic.

11. Constatine

Constatine Member

The basics are very important here. That is total caloric intake, physical activity, and sun exposure. Biohacking won't do much without these basics down. Athletes aren't androgenic because they ate all the right foods, they are androgenic because they ate a whole lot of foods while training intensely for an extended period of time (especially during their early development). I challenge you to find one androgenic looking male who has not been physically active his entire life.

12. haidut

haidut Member

Eggs (powdered), coconut oil, orange juice, and ice-cream are probably among the more resilient ones.

13. haidut

haidut Member

I think most commercial food is packed with dangerous chemicals we don't even get to hear about simply because they are below the level considered by the authorities as dangerous. I posted a study recently on crabs along the West Coast of the US losing their mind due to low level of antidepressants being present in the water they live in.
    https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ed-violent-homicidal-even-at-low-doses.20528/

Imagine how much worse the situation is with commercial food where the concentration of these things is much higher. Keeping thyroid and liver function high, and avoiding obviously estrogenic foods like soy and other legumes would be my primary tools.

14. haidut

haidut Member

I am still trying to make this happen. It's just not easy opening (and maintaining) an office overseas :):

15. Dhair

Dhair Member

Send me over, I'll do it if it gets me DHT faster lol.
    Well that's the answer I was looking for, so I hope we can look forward to that. I know you have a couple new products lined up too, so that should hold us over. :):