Understanding Nutritional Markers (Chris Masterjohn Podcast Series)

yerrag

Dan, you can find it as an episode of Another School of thought Radio (by East West Healing and Performance, Josh & Jeanne Rubin) in the Podcast Player app.

A comment on Amazon says the book needs an update, since it's published 2004. Do you think so?

Thanks for the comments. Do you think Chris Masterjohn's cheat sheet would be useful on its own, or are these books complementary to each other?

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Yeah, there's very little overlap between them. The Weatherby one is entirely about interpreting the basic chemistry + CBC panel, and Masterjohn's focuses on tests for individual nutrient deficiency/excess.

My Weatherby book says 2002...I'm not sure it significantly affects things other than some of the treatment suggestions being outdated.

And no need for people to necessarily charge out and buy either one:
  • Here's a PDF quick-reference of the Weatherby one where you could look up your blood test results and decide if more detail would be helpful. And there's a book that's very similar to Weatherby's called Your Blood Never Lies that you might prefer because you mentioned digital copies. It's significantly cheaper in any format, although it's awfully supplement-recommendation-heavy.
  • Masterjohn's podcasts/transcripts give you all the info, it's just more time-consuming.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

And I should emphasize that I found both of those chem+CBC books helpful but flawed, and would welcome any better suggestions (textbooks?). Whereas Masterjohn's stuff seems about as good as you could possibly get within its scope.

yerrag

And I should emphasize that I found both of those chem+CBC books helpful but flawed, and would welcome any better suggestions (textbooks?). Whereas Masterjohn's stuff seems about as good as you could possibly get within its scope.
You are really on top of the this subject Dan. Could you elaborate in what areas these books can be improved upon?

OP
Dan W

Dan W

It's subtle and hard for me to put into words. But if you ever notice how Peat thinks on a level of energy/systems/fields/gradients, both of the chem/CBC books are more in a vaguely-medical mindset. They have an undercurrent of needing to figure out what "condition" the person has, and finding the right "key" to fix it. For example, the Your Blood Never Lies has a big writeup of 8 supplements that might help for "high CO2" when that space might be better used for expanding on how bicarbonate works.

yerrag

It's subtle and hard for me to put into words. But if you ever notice how Peat thinks on a level of energy/systems/fields/gradients, both of the chem/CBC books are more in a vaguely-medical mindset. They have an undercurrent of needing to figure out what "condition" the person has, and finding the right "key" to fix it. For example, the Your Blood Never Lies has a big writeup of 8 supplements that might help for "high CO2" when that space might be better used for expanding on how bicarbonate works.
So it seems they are still somehow approaching it from a compartmentalized standpoint, being that a certain condition can be solved by a silver bullet approach, instead of one that is holistic and interconnected. A reductionist approach if you will. I suppose that many people find that approach suitable for their orientation towards medicine and health - something that requires brevity but not being concise. It may still be useful as a beginner's guide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom