Understanding Dopamine

stressucks

I've read a lot about dopamine but never really understood it. I know that higher dopamine levels are good, dopamine spikes can lead to addiction, and low dopamine = low energy. You then hear about dopamine resistance if you flood the body with too much dopamine and it all gets confusing the more you read.

I've been thinking I might have something going on with dopamine because my energy levels aren't great and I struggle to quit bad habits like surfing the internet.

So I read this on facebook from a paleo person, and I think it made things click. "We've been made to have a low dopamine state by blue light and nnEMF. This fosters opioid and alcohol abuse to gain the dopamine hit. "

I think I have a low dopamine state. and then my body seeks dopamine hits, especially when I'm tired. When I get home from work I just lay down and surf the net for at least an hour because I'm tired and don't feel like doing anything. Is it hard for me to stop these bad habits because I have a low baseline dopamine level and my body is trying to raise it via internet? If I had high baseline dopamine, would it be easier to focus on productive activities that have dopamine hits down the line (or smaller hits now)? More energy?

I do notice when I surf in the morning and therefore get tons of sunlight, I have a higher energy all day and am much less likely to reach for my phone to look at Instagram. I thought it was adrenaline based though, because I eventually crash, particularly after a big meal.

I work a cubicle job, so sunlight exposure is limited. Though I do a decent job of getting outside at lunch and things like that.

OP
S

stressucks

The facebook post went on to make the point that people don't do charitable work these days, instead they spent their free time on tv, internet, video games. He blames it on the low dopamine state. I thought this was interesting because in one of the GE podcasts Haidut mentioned needing healthy metabolism and energy to help others. That podcast clicked with me because I find myself wanting to getting into helping people more, but generally just don't feel like it or don't have time. It all seems to tie together.

Constatine

Dopamine is a very complicated neurotransmitter (though it is more than a neurotransmitter). Dopamine resistance is modulated by other chemicals aside from dopamine and is relatively situational. Very high dopamine and very rewarding activity does not necessarily cause dopamine resistance (or receptor downregulation)...but it could depending on the nature of the event. Also dopamine in different parts of the brain have very different effects and sometimes it is better to have low dopamine in parts of the brain for elevated mood. Dopamine is heavily influenced by many natural regulators that are often overlooked in modern day society. Sun exposure, physical exposure to the ground "earthing", certain light wavelengths (basically sunlight), circadian rhythm, and the sight of nature heavily influences dopamine levels and receptor densities. Binging of any kind will cause "dopamine resistance". It is a negative feedback loop in the sense that binging makes normal things less rewarding which makes you binge etc. Thus surfing the internet is both the cause and the symptom of dopamine resistance.

OP
S

stressucks

I had figured it was circular, like so many things in health. Breaking the cycle is hard.

Readings on those natural regulators you mentioned? Is it as simple as get more sunlight, bare feet on the ground, and go to bed earlier?

Constatine

I had figured it was circular, like so many things in health. Breaking the cycle is hard.

Readings on those natural regulators you mentioned? Is it as simple as get more sunlight, bare feet on the ground, and go to bed earlier?
Though many supplements and diets may be useful these natural regulators form the back bone of any dopamine related treatment. It is also the most effective method.

OP
S

stressucks

I'll take that as a "yes, it is that simple". I need to work on my habits!

Tarmander

Dopamine is interesting. I think having a successful and meaningful life gives a constant stream of dopamine. Which is why cocaine can be so addictive, it's like powdered success and happiness. Long term I do not think you can trick your dopamine system. If you want a constant supply you have to be reaching for the good in life, the things that are meaningful and interest you. I do think that taking a dopamine agonist once or twice in life to really show you what dopamine feels like can give you a mental guide without affecting your receptors too negatively. Learning about dopamine and serotonin has been really valuable to me in making life decisions, so this is a good thread and a good thing to investigate.

OP
S

stressucks

Dopamine is interesting. I think having a successful and meaningful life gives a constant stream of dopamine. Which is why cocaine can be so addictive, it's like powdered success and happiness. Long term I do not think you can trick your dopamine system. If you want a constant supply you have to be reaching for the good in life, the things that are meaningful and interest you. I do think that taking a dopamine agonist once or twice in life to really show you what dopamine feels like can give you a mental guide without affecting your receptors too negatively. Learning about dopamine and serotonin has been really valuable to me in making life decisions, so this is a good thread and a good thing to investigate.

I think you confused me more haha

nikolabeacon

Most important thing for dopamine regulation and normal secretion and not falling into the trap of compulsive behaviour and activities of various kinds is ''normalization'' of reward system in life activities and really and fully engaging in them. Secondly building knowledge, integrity and individuality. And third building proper value system.(earning money is not a real problem per se .....but rather lack of integrity and creativity in those who strive for it or already possess it)

We live in a Time when from the moment we were born our parents , family are protecting us too much and satisfying all our desires and cravingss...and everything is already partialy done for us without our own effort and struggling for better situations.

So I see this more as an issue of some psyhological history and childhood and growing up of an individual that determines reward system in engaging in life activities.

So younger generations today somehow expect that everything will fall from the sky without some struggling and real effort to learn about life, nature , world, history, culture and searching for the things you really love and engage in those searchings and activities.

So when someone was not learned from early childhood to engage in life process fully as an creative individual and when he didnt built his individuality he will actualy feel lack of stimulus and motivation, anxiety and fear and boredom and disinterest and it will compleyely destimulate and block that person from enganing in life as an individual and from development of reward system which is key for dopamine regulation.

On personal integrity hangs humanity's Faith.

And for third point ... problem is todays too much popularizations of different( and dumb) showmans, sportsmans, and other figures who actually do not have to offer anything as a rich developed and creative individuals and who are btw earning tremendous amounts of money and by that establishing very strange value system for younger generations who are watching and absorbing all this.

Dante

So when someone was not learned from early childhood to engage in life process fully as an creative individual and when he didnt built his individuality he will actualy feel lack of stimulus and motivation, anxiety and fear and boredom and disinterest and it will compleyely destimulate and block that person from enganing in life as an individual and from development of reward system which is key for dopamine regulation.
You may be right but this is the era of materialism . The current neuroscience consensus is at that end our brain is a biochemical robot so fixing neurochemistry solves every problem. Personally , I. Would try a stuff that upregulates D2/D3 receptors if idealabs releases such a supp

Cydanic

Most important thing for dopamine regulation and normal secretion and not falling into the trap of compulsive behaviour and activities of various kinds is ''normalization'' of reward system in life activities and really and fully engaging in them. Secondly building knowledge, integrity and individuality. And third building proper value system.(earning money is not a real problem per se .....but rather lack of integrity and creativity in those who strive for it or already possess it)

We live in a Time when from the moment we were born our parents , family are protecting us too much and satisfying all our desires and cravingss...and everything is already partialy done for us without our own effort and struggling for better situations.

So I see this more as an issue of some psyhological history and childhood and growing up of an individual that determines reward system in engaging in life activities.

So younger generations today somehow expect that everything will fall from the sky without some struggling and real effort to learn about life, nature , world, history, culture and searching for the things you really love and engage in those searchings and activities.

On personal integrity hangs humanity's Faith.

And for third point ... problem is todays too much popularizations of different( and dumb) showmans, sportsmans, and other figures who actually do not have to offer anything as a rich developed and creative individuals and who are btw earning tremendous amounts of money and by that establishing very strange value system for younger generations who are watching and absorbing all this.
Damn, that hit me super hard... you described me almost perfectly.

I was raised by extremely over-bearing parents that put me on adderall/ritalin from age 7-22. I feel like this in some ways has really messed with my reward system. Things you experience in life should control your dopamine...not a constant drip from a drug. I don't have nearly the same zest for life after quitting these stimulants.

Any advice for someone in my situation?

nikolabeacon

You may be right but this is the era of materialism . The current neuroscience consensus is at that end our brain is a biochemical robot so fixing neurochemistry solves every problem. Personally , I. Would try a stuff that upregulates D2/D3 receptors if idealabs releases such a supp

Damn, that hit me super hard... you described me almost perfectly.

I was raised by extremely over-bearing parents that put me on adderall/ritalin from age 7-22. I feel like this in some ways has really messed with my reward system. Things you experience in life should control your dopamine...not a constant drip from a drug. I don't have nearly the same zest for life after quitting these stimulants.

Any advice for someone in my situation?

I thought that we have always lived in "materialism"......and some complex organizations of matter people back through history called "spiritual".....we call it metaphysical because we are in the process of understanding it ....but it can not be understood in terms of single molecules and single interactions....
It goes beyond those simple formulations and interactions

Addiction maybe as Peat said does not exist as such but

I am not sure that we can correct complexity with constant routinized ingestion of single molecules and treat it as they are not addictive

because they as Albert Szent said do not have life at all..

...surely it can cause sudden changes and spikes in complexity and biochemistry and someones mind and psyhology if not overused .but withoit support of environmental life activities it can not be seen as a solving of causes and root of problems...... ...

...And drug can be any isolated substance....which after withdrawal causes old problems and lack of stimulus for life actions

U can try pregnenolone/progest for addiction....peat told some story about the musician who was serious alcoholic and how he helped him with it...

So u can use some drugs as a boost for changing your life and buildimg better circumstances...but you can not cure root of the problems with them

It is simple as that

OP
S

stressucks

Listening to Generative Energy #15 talking about addiction satisfying a need.

OP
S

stressucks

So if I'm going to give up these bad habits, I need to find something to get my dopamine from. I guess I'd go for a barefoot walk outside.

Waynish

Very interesting... Can you explain more about your views of how physical activity composing "a good life" can out perform any other directly chemical methods?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals