Understanding Alkaline Minerals.

lindsay

I don't entirely, that's why I'm starting this thread.....

I know it's important for hypothyroid people to get enough calcium (and RP recommends 2,000 mg. for those who are really hypothyroid), but what sort of ratios do we need of potassium, sodium and magnesium to calcium? How can we attain the best pH levels (aside from the calcium to phosphorus ratio)?

This was an interesting little write-up (although some of the recommendations are questionable): Read about alkaline minerals here.

What do you think of this sentence about milk in Western cultures?

"Milk today is pasteurised and homogenised, and the calcium in this unnatural form is difficult to digest. These processed dairy products are highly acid-forming, and although a cup of milk contains nearly 300 mg of calcium, the little you are able to absorb is lost in combating the acidity it forms."

J

j.

I'm guessing good pH can be attained with very different intakes if the kidneys are working well.

pboy

theres many factors, but basically alkaline minerals and molecules neutralize with acids in the small intestine, facilitating good digestion, then any left over can be absorbed and used to buffer the blood or in energy production. You need a certain amount of each, then beyond that it doesn't matter what the alkaline substance is, it will be benficial in the gut...potentially could hinder initial stomach digestion though if too much too quick ...such as milk or
baking soda. In breastmilk, calcium is the most abundant by a factor of about 2 to 1 to potassium and magnesium, then a little sodium too...but as an adult its difficult to say how this translates exactly. We mostly lose sodium and a little potassium through sweat and urine but under most conditions lose little to no calcium and magnesium, so they might not be as necessary unless in recovery mode...but could enhance digestion if you commonly consume foods with acids such as fruit or coffee or tannic containing food

Dewitt

pH levels are not directly modified by the intake of certain minerals. You can take in almost no calcium at all, but serum calcium levels will still be in the normal range. The same thing goes for most minerals. Humans store enough of these minerals to not be hugely dependent on consistent intake and even after 30 days of water fasting, the levels of calcium, magnesium and potassium do not change significantly.

In the cell, an alkaline state is a stressed state because it signifies the loss of CO2 and the introduction of calcium into the cell.

The statement that the calcium in pasteurized milk is not properly absorbed is ridiculous. Heat treatment has no significant effect of the calcium bioavailability from milk. Altough it decreases fat absorption, probably because milk lipases are destroyed.

Mittir

lindsay said:
(and RP recommends 2,000 mg. for those who are really hypothyroid)

I just want to add some extra info here. In KMUD Anti oxidant interview he recommended
1000-1200 for healthy bones and 2000 mg for heart disease and high blood pressure.
In another interview he recommended 1500 mg to lower Parathyroid Hormone.
Vitamin D, Vitamin K, ratio of calcium to phosphorus all play role in controlling PTH.
He put a lot of emphasis on keeping PTH to lower side of normal range.
He recommends amount of calcium be higher than phosphorus and
Cal : Phos ratio 1:1 to 2:1 safe.
As opposed to alkaline mineral , Phosphate has acidic end effect.
He also talked about sulfur from protein forming sulfuric acid.
In KMUD Acid and Alkaline interview he goes in detail explaining 4 alkaline minerals
and how cell reacts to acidic and alkaline environment and how blood main it's pH.
In an email correspondence he commented that RDA of 420 mg is fine and
people with good thyroid function needs less magnesium.
But hypothyroid people need more magnesium.
He thinks craving for salt is a good guidance for need.
If you rely on foods he recommends you will get all the alkaline and
acidic mineral in good balance.
Here you can listen to RP interviews
http://eastwesthealing.com/ray-peat/

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Dewitt: so then why is calcium so important if you are hypothyroid? I think you said something once about aldosterone? Also, if someone like me hasn't been drinking milk or eating calcium in other forms for many years, I'm assuming milk is more important?
so it seems ratios are subjective. I guess that make sense.

thanks for the info. pboy!

And Mitter - I will need to re-listen to that episode. I just get confused because RP talks about balancing the alkaline minerals, but then he never says how much, except in relation to calcium and phosphorus.

Dewitt

The purpose of milk/calcium is to "calm down" the parathyroid and pituitary gland. Calcium lowers PTH and prolactin, both of which oppose thyroid function. Indirectly, this would also lower histamine levels, since PTH and prolactin can promote the degranulation of mast cells. And the aggregation of blood cells caused by those hormones could also lead to the release of serotonin. Those are just the more obvious effects.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

My memory sucks. Thanks for the overview Dewitt. So considering I have high prolactin, I need more more more calcium :baaaaaaa