Underground Vegetables

khoidn87

I know Ray Peat endorses underground vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and bamboo shoots for carbohydrates, but what does he think about other underground vegetables such as onions, garlic, beets, and ginger. Whenever I prepare my bone broth, I usually accompany it with one or more of the aforementioned root vegetables, so I want to know what his opinion is of them. Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am new to this forum and I just started the Ray Peat lifestyle a week ago. So far, my mood has improved tremendously. I don't know how to explain it but I've never felt at peace like this before and I feel like my head is clearer. My skin has never looked more vibrant or clear. These are the results I've experienced so far but it's only been a week. Prior, I had no sugar whatsoever in my life; I consumed one fruit at most every other day and I avoided sugar like the plague. There were definitely some doubts about this sugary lifestyle, haha. Anyhow, this is my first post and I am glad to be part of the family.

kettlebell

Hi and welcome!

This is anecdotal but I have seen a lot of experienced Peat followers eating onion, garlic and beet as a daily part of their eating to add flavour to their foods. I have heard Peat say in a interview most root vegetables when cooked don't pose a problem. The fact they are underground means they dont require much, if any of the protective pufas and anti nutrients to stop ground animals eating them.

Also its ok to add herb leaves to dishes for flavouring and then take them out before consuming as the pufa stays in the leaf, the anti thyroid substances are made benign by the cooking and you still get the flavour out.

I have heard Ray mention in one of his interviews that leaves have the highest Calcium to Phosphate ratio therefore using them in broths is a really good idea for extra calcium which seeps out while cooking then just dispose of the leaves afterwards before you eat.

Apparently nettle leaves are one of the best to cook in water for "Calcium water" which can be used for whatever you want to cook.

OP
khoidn87

khoidn87

Thanks Kettlebell for the quick response! Yeah, sometimes I use Kale in my broth to get extra calcium and mainly Vitamin K.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
khoidn87, welcome to the forum!

Not sure how I missed this post but I did.

Anyways, I think next time I make a broth I might throw some kale into it towards the end for vitamin K like you said and also get some more calcium.

Also, I do use ginger, beets, onion and garlic for my everyday cooking with no problems that I can tell.

Ray-Z

Welcome, khoidn87. Good question. Like Charlie, I use garlic and onions frequently and don't experience problems as long as I cook them well. :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

kiran

Jenn said:
Onions are higher in fructose, make a good balance for potatoes, beets are an excellent source of potassium.

But how much of that onion do we digest and how much do the bacteria?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals