Unbearable back pain after stretching

Ideal man

So I've been having back pain on my lower left side so I decided to stretch it the way as you see in the picture and as I stood up I was in pain as if I was stabbed I could barely move the left leg what could be causing this could it possibly

Attachments

• 5gkGS98ojuA9yXhYpSu9P9.jpg
    5gkGS98ojuA9yXhYpSu9P9.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 15

Tom K

I have treated more than 5,000 lumbar spine patients in a 30 plus year career as a physical therapist. There is no one single remedy for these and other conditions, and a specific diagnosis is required. However, general principles do apply. The above exercise in the photo was first presented by Dr James Cyriax in his first book "Textbook of Orthopedic Exercise.' Later, this approach was popularized by Robin McKenzie. This exercise is effective for those with herniated or bulging discs. It is not effective for those with vertebral instability (ex. spondylolisthesis). If the pain is relieve by sitting, and increased with standing, perform flexion oriented exercises (touching toes, lying supine with a ball between your knees and bring your knees to your chest. Your issues are not muscular. When in the extension position depicted above the lumbar muscles are inactive. When standing, if a person leans backward from the waist (the opposite of a forward bend-toe touch) the lower back muscles relax and the abdominal muscles/hip flexors perform an eccentric contraction controlling your descent into extension. Do not be fooled into those that suggest this is a muscular issue. Your muscles may go into spasm, but muscular guarding (spasm-involuntary contraction) is how our bodies protect an injured area. Spasms are not the cause, they are a symptom of the problem.

Nokoni

I get significant relief from chronic bulging disc pain in my lower back with topical progesterone. Haidut's formulation is easy to work with and absorbs well. A few drops per day into my palm and rubbed into my lower back at bedtime keeps the discomfort reasonably well controlled.

toolhead

I have treated more than 5,000 lumbar spine patients in a 30 plus year career as a physical therapist. There is no one single remedy for these and other conditions, and a specific diagnosis is required. However, general principles do apply. The above exercise in the photo was first presented by Dr James Cyriax in his first book "Textbook of Orthopedic Exercise.' Later, this approach was popularized by Robin McKenzie. This exercise is effective for those with herniated or bulging discs. It is not effective for those with vertebral instability (ex. spondylolisthesis). If the pain is relieve by sitting, and increased with standing, perform flexion oriented exercises (touching toes, lying supine with a ball between your knees and bring your knees to your chest. Your issues are not muscular. When in the extension position depicted above the lumbar muscles are inactive. When standing, if a person leans backward from the waist (the opposite of a forward bend-toe touch) the lower back muscles relax and the abdominal muscles/hip flexors perform an eccentric contraction controlling your descent into extension. Do not be fooled into those that suggest this is a muscular issue. Your muscles may go into spasm, but muscular guarding (spasm-involuntary contraction) is how our bodies protect an injured area. Spasms are not the cause, they are a symptom of the problem.
Great post. Thanks.

rzero

I have been contemplating a yoga pose similar to that but planted on the back of the hands instead of the palms, so that the wrists are stretched in the same manner as the ankles.

I haven't tried this in the flesh yet as it will be challenging, but simply contemplating it in meditation has begun releasing long-standing neck, shoulder, and lower back issues. I am starting to become convinced that this type of stretch of the wrists (and ankles) is key to stretching the spine.

I posted something about "wrist pushups" last month. Something that would seem to have a similar muscle stretch/activation is "false grip" pullups that are often done on rings but can be done on a bar as well. These also don't look easy though:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtAui84zEAU

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals